General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
over the last 4 weeks the rate has been between 1.14 and 1.08 [interbank.. tourist about 4 points less] With all the extra money the last government injected into the economy [they called it quantitative easing] was in fact a back door way of devaluing the pound it may one day reach 1.2 but i don't think we will ever see 1.4 again

and as a point of interest the pound devalued against ALL other currencies so in essence it makes no difference between say the euro and Turkish lira now and a year ago
Although the exchange rate against the Euro is not very good at the moment the rate for Turkish lira is better now than it has been for a long time. This week I've been getting 2.6 but a year ago was getting around 2.1. I have to travel to Europe in a couple of weeks and will get my cash soon. I don't really think there will be much difference in the near future. You may find you get a better rate changing your money there. I certainly have got a better rate changing money in Turkey rather than in UK before I came.
Euro was 1.12 about 10 days ago - last night I looked and it was 1.07 :(

If you log onto bbc text on tv and scroll down to business and click there - it gives you all the tourist rates
It has steadily been declining for the past few weeks. Yesterday is the lowest I have seen it for months at 1.10. However today it gained one cent to 1.11. That is the interbank rate, the tourist rate is a few cents lower.

You need to be careful who you get your currency from as there is a big difference between the best and worst rate.

You can get a better rate if you have it delivered or order online for collection at the airport. However the best easily available rate is from M&S or ordering online from Thomas Cook. The Post Office rate is about the same if you order online, but they have a minimum order of £500.

luci :wave
I asked at the post office this afternoon.
Euro 1.05 :cry and Turkish Lira 2.42 (that is if you buy £500 and more)
Son is off to Ibiza next week and we are off to Northern Cyprus in just over 4 weeks. :D
Irene, you get a better rate from the Post Office if you order online rather than walk in on spec.

luci :wave
I've been looking at moneysavings expert for best rates and they come up with a comprehensive list. I will know where to get the best rates but unfortunately trying to time it is a bit more tricky. I might exchange some next week provided it's not at an all time low and then get the rest out of the ATM in Kalamaki.
You are generally better off getting your currency in the country you are visiting. I bought Turkish lira today for 2.6 in Turkey where it is varying between 2.52 and 2.6 - better than buying in UK.
Lucy
I always order on line - just happened to be in the PO today and thought I would check.
Thanks.
you can see the trend on a graph at http://www.x-rates.com/d/EUR/GBP/hist2011.html (you can also alter the year in the address to look back but that gets really depressing!!). For current actual use the Calculator in the left side menu. These are bank rates (what you would get on card transactions), cash exchanges in UK would be worse. I bought Hungarian Forints for a trip in May, got them online from the PO at a rate which the BBC said was good, when I was in Budpapest all the banks were offering about 5-7% better !!
Im off to malaga 7th october and like every year I wait till I get to resort...there paying out about 1.11 at the mo, I have checked with someone I know who lives there...its is very sire the rate at the mo, there saying it will be around 1 euro to the pound in the next few weeks..just dont change your money here wait till your at your destination..thank god its still pretty reasonable at the mo where I am going for food/drink etc...still a hell of alot cheaper than here in the uk.
hi....on line ....collect and pay in shop....1.1.......so creeping up......tweetie
It's starting to creep back up now. I have also found some ASDA stores do a good rate for the euro and mine even gives me an extra £5 worth if I have £500! Not much but it all helps!
I check this site to see how the pound is doing live. If it's lowered then you know tomorrows rate will be lower!

http://www.xe.com/

As I type its at 1.1365 so in the shops you'd be getting around 1.10
Well I've taken the plunge and ordered some euros through tesco on line. They use Travelex and don't charge a cash advance fee for using their credit card. I got a rate of 1.09, no fees to pay, £65 worth of free travel essential vouchers and points on my clubcard so I'm pretty happy. I will withdraw more in Greece and hopefully get a slightly better rate but I've got enough to see me through the first 10 days or so :)
keep a close eye on the live rates and hold your nerves, the news from Italy is knocking the euro back, the rate should get better over the next couple of days.
update....thomascook....1.107....so creeping up....every little bit helps....and its main holiday season for euro .....so if its creeping up now might be better news for us going last week in aug and first in sept...keeping my fingers crossed....tweetie

What news from Italy....missed it...been too busy to watch the news
This is a very useful little link - it shows you the best rates and from where - collection or delivery :cheers

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/
Im going to be changing my spends this weekend, i always go to the money shop as they match the best rate around and also if you have a privilege card which you can just pop in and ask for one they give you a little bit extra on top, the rest i will just withdraw from ATM whilst there and should maybe get a good rate that way which offsets the charges i will get
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.