General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Who packs what?
56 Posts
Think i might be on my own here, but hubby does all the packing and unpacking when we get there :oops:

Kids and i leave him to it and go off and explore. Then i spend the rest of the holiday saying "where have you put so and so?"

Oh and he enjoys shopping more than me and probably takes more than me!!
I pack/buy/organise EVERYTHING, otherwise nothing would ever get done!! if i left it to my man he'd have us in last years clothes, doesn't believe in buying new things every year!!!
I do all the packing..OH idea of packing is pile everything in the middle of the case and moan it wont shut
Herself does the packing, it's safer. We do have a spreadsheet with 3 columns: Her, Him and Both. This is extremely useful when packing on our return. Is it compulsory to buy new clothes for each year? Nobody in Greece or Turkey has complained about my clothes colour scheme yet, although I always check that my cufflinks match my shirt.
I pack mine , he packs his then if he's forgotten anything its his fault not mine .
I'm the same as Helen. Don't get me wrong, I don't moan that he doesn't lift a finger- I wouldn't dare let hubby pack- for himself nor me. God knows what he'd end up putting in or leaving behind. I'd rather do it all myself, that way I know we're sorted.I review and search for the holiday-I book-write the luggage labels- I shop, make lists, pack suitcases and handluggage- book taxi to airport- check in- order drinks at the bar- check in at hotel- unpack (must say, do get some help with this).
When we get home it starts again, I unpack, sort the washing and start looking at next year's brochures. Blimey, didn't realizse till now just how much I do :roll:
Don't know if I'm lucky or unlucky that my other half is quite content to let me organize everything. The only thing he does is carry the luggage and pay for everything. OH and he always enjoys the holiday.
Hi Starry
You are not quite on your own. Hubby does all the packing, I lay out for myself and the boys - he sometimes queries why I am taking this or that :lol: Although I unpack at the other end while he goes off to explore.
Regarding shopping - I can never get out on my own to do the shopping be it holiday, food or general - quite a few of my friends/family envy me :shock:
Irene :wink:
My husband packs his clothes himself. I also can't be blamed then for missing items. He also packs his toiletries but with input from me like have you packed such and such and don't forget that. He does always leave it to the last minute though which makes me mad. I need to know how heavy the cases are for my pile of "will take if the weight is ok" like the "just in case" pair of shoes or the odd extra top. As far as buying his summer clothes. He talks about it for months but we always end up trawling around the airport trying to get him shoes or shorts. He has promised this year will be different but I won't hold my breath.
I pack everything for myself,hubby & 2 sons

I dont mind,at least i know i have everything !

I actually quite like packing :oops: not too keen on the unpacking / washing when we return though ! :roll:

all hubby needs to remember is his wallet :wink: :lol:
My hubby looks out all his own stuff plus the stuff for both like suntan lotion, kettle, teabags, etc. I lay out all my clothes and toiletries and he packs the cases and unpacks them at the other end.

luci :wave
It might be nice to borrow one of these "new men" occasionally. I shouldn' t really complain because even if he did it, it wouldn't be right. I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to holidays. My sister Shirley H & myself pick up the brochures, trawl through them & then tell the men where we're going. As long as they get a day or 2 on motorbikes when we get there and 1 day when they escape form us "for a couple of pints" they're happy. I even take my list with me so that I can see what I've packed to go with what so that I won't be left with odd combinations :roll: It's sad I know!!!
Hubby will lay out his clothes but I pack - he hates doing it.
I also unpack when we get there.
I do all the packing. Love him to bits, but just wouldn't trust him enough to pack the right sort of stuff. Anyway, for me, packing is just another part to my holiday and although I might moan about not being able to get all my things in the case, I love it really :wink:

I do all the buying as well and unless I need to check the sizing, I dont even show him the new stuff I get for him. I just put it away in my "holiday case" and then show him when I am packing just before we go.

Its easier that way.
:)
I do all the packing as otherwise we would have a boot and roofbox full of books and not a lot else. Hubbie gets out what he thinks he needs me to pack in the way of clothes and I then persuade him that he really doesn't need all those shirts and remind him (on autumn/spring breaks in Scotland) that warm jumpers take up lots of space in the case. I had got the packing down to a fine art in terms of filling every available corner of the boot and then I changed my car so this year is going to be a case of relearning, especially since the boot is 1/5 smaller.
I used to pack my case and my husband used to pack his but as we usually only go away together for one week now we just take one case between us so he just puts out what he wants to take and I put it in the case along with my stuff.
I pack for 5 of us and I'm fed up doing it year after year. :evil: I now have a printed checklist and I photocopy the master copy each time we go away and use it to ensure I haven't forgotten anything.
I pack mine , he packs his then if he's forgotten anything its his fault not mine .

My thought's too. :lol:
I also pack my sons.
I pack. If teenage boy (15) was left to pack his stuff, it would just be a scrumpled heap stuffed into a suitcase and essential bits left behind on the bedroom floor. Rob packs the scuba diving bag and then he picks the clothes he wants to take..which I then divide up between my case and Gav's case. I always assume full responsibility for packing and that way I know it gets done.
There's only me so I pack my own.

I recall an ex boyfriend trying to pack for me on our return from holiday one year. Got right on my wick that did. Told him thank you but I'll pack my own suitcase.
:D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.