General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
It could just be the time of year Mari. :que The majority of peo0ple will have already booked their break for this summer, and will have had the answers to many of their questions. They won't post again, until they need more information. Money is tight with everyone at the moment, so perhaps some aren't going away at all. There could be a dozen different reasons.
I find that HT is really quiet in the winter and I start to use it more from March - October. I've been here for quite a few years now and don't think I'll be going! :tongue I do find myself just sat here refreshing the page quite often though, never seen it this quiet before :(

CourtneeLouise xx
I still post on here but we are going onto peak season soon.
hi all.....seems the old core members are the posting community lately....plus new joiners wanting answers.....but as its quiet on the holiday front there is not a lot of new stuff to discuss holiday wise.......tweetie
I come on here looking whether I have a holiday booked or not, will admit I do go to TA for reviews but really do not like there forums , just not as friendly, holiday truths is much more like a little family ;) . So friendly and warm !!
I agree the feel of HT is much much more friendly, and I also find some trip reports on other site a little biased. HT does go through quiet spells as do quite a lot of forums no just holiday ones. I think as long as the Welcome Light stays on and we all do our best to encourage newbies here and to get them to stay too the HT will continue
the little family is spot on.....I feel like I know every one personaly....our user names often gives away our personalities.....to each other we are real people...and that gives HT a heart....and we have that extra bit of care and concern for each other.....and any newbie lost and alone gets surrounded by us ...we all join together to help and support them....they are people to us not just a queiry on a holiday site....tweetie
I'll have to say, as a member who was on here very regularly a few years ago, I've been absent for a while simply because I haven't actually had any holidays recently! This is part due to financial reasons and part due to kids growing up and me not having anyone else to go with :|
I'm off to Tenerife in October (with my now grown-up son and his friend) but this will be my first holiday since Easter 2009. Once I'd booked for Tenerife, I came back on here to see what's going on in the Tenerife section etc, but have found the whole site in general VERY much quieter than it used to be, which is a shame but probably a sign of the times! However, over the years I have found this one of the most useful sites on the internet for anyone travelling abroad. Hopefully things will pick up in time.
I love this site, it all adds to the excitement of my pending holidays. That said the Greek islands board (my favourite)is quite quiet. I find generally people on here are so so helpful, there are some real experts on here and its where I come first for info.
I get excited reading other peoples threads , and feed of there excitement. Even when I'm not going on my hols !!. It's nice to come on here and have read and catch up with what is going on, would rather be on here then reading a paper or listening to the gloom on the news ;)
I've been a member here for a couple of years and come on almost every day but I don't always post. I go on TA as well daily but I find over there it's not anywhere near as friendly here. I get the impression it's very cliquey over there and the people usually with the highest posts, and the destination experts are quite smug and somehow think they're too good to acknowledge your posts, well that's the impression I get any way. So I much prefer it here as it's much friendlier and I don't find it to be cliquey at all.
There are probably several reasons. One obviously is seasonal. We do seem to get this question raised each year and each time it gets put down to people being on or already booked. Every year things pick up again with reviews (never enough of those) and complaints from both old and new members.

I discovered HT many, many years ago when the number of members were much lower. It has grown over the years and so have rival sites. I never tire of telling people that this is THE PREMIER SITE for all things "HOLIDAY" Reading some of the posts we get it is obvious, well to me at least that we really do deserve that title. In recent times there has been much made about some of our so called rivals and the rather questionable reviews and comments that are posted on them. I have yet to see anyone make the same comments about HT.

It is interesting at times the comments we get on here about reviews posted elsewhere. It does seem that many people having tried the rest finish up coming here to the best.

What do you get for your money? Well first it costs you nothing but a few minutes time. The advice you get is unbiased. We don't have an axe to grind or worries about keeping our advertisers happy. When you have a problem then you can often be buried under the accurate information and advice you get. Even when we are a little quiet such a now it seems that there is an army of people ready to spring into action and help. As far as I am aware we are the only site that has an agreement with a reputable firm of solicitors willing to assist.

My first stop is HT - yes I do look at other sites if I need more information about the destination or hotel but I think everyone surfs the net that way.

Did I mention that it is peopled by a great bunch of friendly people - well it is.

fwh
fwh - Have you REALLY been a member since 1970? :yikes :yikes :yikes I thought 2007 was a long time but 1970!!!! :yikes .. I agree with everyone on here, I don't like any other website HT is the best and not sure why but I prefer to read reviews on HT than TA because it just feels more realistic and trustworthy.

CourtneeLouise xx
I was a member before HT was even a twinkle in Vans mind. No not since 1970 (sometime feels like it) but the 1970 is a glitch that the older members enjoy. Trying to convince management that I am due a gold watch in 2020.

fwh
I was a member before HT was even a twinkle in Vans mind

Oh are we talking ezboard :tup I was a member in those long past days, nostalgia :D
Oh are we talking ezboard :tup I was a member in those long past days, nostalgia :D

Those were the days, but please, please, please!

Please don't confuse them. We will have to start another topic titled "HT Nostalgia" Then we will start to feel old.

fwh
Aww what lovely comments FWH thank you so much :kiss (blush)

As we've often said it's the members that make the site what it is so thank you all :kiss (more blushes)
I have been a member here for years, probably about 10 . Ht has been a big part of my life for much of that time (yep sad I know :D ). My obsession with holidays and weekend breaks grew steadily over those same years to the point where researching more seemed to have taken over my life. I looked forward to logging in every minute of the day to answer new posts and enjoy the banter with new found friends .

However now my children are older the pleasure of researching and booking family holidays early has dwindled for me . Mine are getting booked later now and my years here have taught me all or at least much of what I need to know , making me more confident in making a quickish decision . I dont seem to feel the need for so much research anymore .

I must admit I dont post as much as I used to or even visit so many times in one day. I now have to be in the right mood to spend an hour making a long post similar to what I have posted many times over the years . Maybe I'm just getting bored with holidays but the fun and banter of previous HT years seems to have evaporated somewhat and that maybe has something to do with the general doom , gloom and financial insecurity many of us have been feeling . Ht has been so much quieter for the last 2/3 years I dont feel we can put it down to times of year anymore .

TA seems to be used more for reviews now . I would always trust those here more but the truth is there are many many more over there .

I love Ht and will always remain loyal to my favourite website but I also think forums in general are much quieter than they used to be due to the likes of facebook . Despite many many reservations for years I've recently joined and can now see why people wouldnt post on forums so much . All the banter and chit chat is done on there and I will admit to now spending many a very late evening chatting on there , often with people i have met via HT. I've made many great cyber friends over the years here . :D

I'd love a nostalgia thread Frank. I've spent many a time in tears of laughter here with faces I dont see as round as much and just as many being horrified and saddened by the not so happy posts and topics.

The fact that we can share both here is what makes HT special and I for one would love to see the forum rise to that again .

lyn
I do agree that it's gone very quiet here. I always go to Rhodes but still like to read all posts on that forum. Sadly there is only about one a week now and I don't think it's all to do with the seasons.I also look at TA but, as previously mentioned,it just isn't as friendly. :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.