Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
WiFi in Cabanas
19 Posts
Henry,
I can sort you out there. There is a little green kiosk opposite Pedras da Rainha that sells beer, sandwiches etc. The chap that owns it is called Phil and for 1 euro an hour, he will let you link on to his wi-fi.
Alternatively, if you go past his kiosk and take the first street on your left (beside the phone box) and go straight along till you see the church, there is a great bar there called O Escalho and wi-fi is free when you buy anything....even a bica!!!
I know it is really expensive in Pedras and these are the 2 places I used there last week.
Hope this helps.
Pat
:glynis
Thanks Pat that is really useful.

You seem to be almost a local!

I have not been for a few years but we always rent the villa from a mate of mine ( Les Proctor - in case you have run into him! ).

Les always gives us a thorough run down of what changes there have been since we were last there. However I doubt he bothers much with wifi so I dont think he would have been as useful as you!

Cheers,

Henry
Whilst you are wi-fi-ing (is that a new word?) at the Kiosk you can enjoy one of their burgers if that is your cup of tea.

O Escalho, known locally as The Warm bar, still has a pint at €2 and has heating which at night in winter is very useful. (The food is good as well)

For warning Dot, a 33cl bottle of Sagres was €1.80 in Pedras Da Rehna last week which is double what you would pay at most bars.

Have a good one, relax and leave the lap top at home where it belongs whilst you are on holiday!
O Escalho is indeed a great bar with great food.
Don't miss out though on going to the CRC next to the fish/fruit market. It says bar/bistro on it. You get great food there too and a pint of Carlsberg for 1.50 euro AND the best view in Cabanas.
Pat
Just checked my photos and 2004 was the last time we were in Cabanas!

We came for 4 or 5 years in a row ( with another family as we are this year ).

As the girls were young we tended to go to the Piano Bar a lot so they could get Chicken Nuggets etc, although I like a traditional fry-up as well!

We also went to places like the Beach Cafe.

As we have teenagers now we can be a bit more adventurous in our choice of restaurants so I will note your suggestions.

As it happens the reason I am interested in the wifi is for my phone! I like to keep in touch with what is happening and I can use the phone to listen to the radio from Britain and do some surfing by the pool!

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Henry
The Piano bar no longer exists. It has been taken over by the people who own Quasimodo's and is called Esmeralda's Irish bar :que

The beach cafe is still there 'tho but you will notice a big difference in the village as lots of new apartments have been built (mainly at the back of the village and almost joining Conceicao!!!!)

Any more info that you need, just give a shout.
Pat
Pat.

Do you think they will ever "bridge" the island or do you think the local ferry boat owners would have a say and protest.

They are asking very optimistic prices for them O Pomar apartments, they start at €227.000!
Taff,
I recently signed a petition to get a bridge across the river. It would be great as the boats don't run all year round and it's a pity that you can't get on to the beach 'cos there's no boats.
I suppose the boatmen will complain but some people will still use them,I think, for the novelty factor!!!!

Also, the new bit that they built at the beach is awful....it's a real struggle for the elderly to get off the boat and up to the landing 'cos it's so high. My elderly friends hardly go anymore now, it's a shame.

By the way, whereabouts are you "near to Tavira?"

The apartment building is now beyond a joke......someone is buying them but they are all empty..... :que

Pat
Hi Pat.

We have of those empty nearly all year round apartments in Conceicão.

Our original plans to move out permanently were scuppered by various financial setbacks in the UK so we'll carry on working a few more years (current jobs situation allowing!)

Hopefully by the time we get there full time the bridge to the island will be built as the novelty of the boat does wear off after a while, especially if you have forgotten something!

Taff
Is that other apartment block finished - the one behind the apartment we stayed in Pat? (Do you know the one I mean at the end of the supermarket road?) That's what made me a little worried about Cabanas - the restaurants being stretched to their limit if all the apartments were ever full :yikes
I know the ones you mean and yes, they are all finished, Glynis.
Never seen anyone go in or out of them nor any sign of life there yet!!!!!
Just another bunch to lie empty......can't ever see all the apartments EVER being used at the one time.... :yikes
I will know better when we go for our 2 weeks in June as it will be busier then.
From what my friend who lives there says,the busiest time by far there is in August when restaurants are busy.
Pat
Too late for this particular original request, but for general info, we have just returned from Cabanas. A few of the bars on the front now have internet access, 1 euro for 20 mins.
Not convinced that Escolo has wifi yet, but could be wrong.
As other posters also seem to like escolo (incorrect spelling) as much as I do, have you seen that there is a group for the bar on facebook?
cheers
Richard

PS I miss the Piano Bar, does anyone know where Ana and her husband went? I heard the Tavira Gardens but have not been.
Rikiberg,
O Escalho does have wifi. You just have to ask Bruno or Carlos and they will put their password into your laptop for you. They did this for me in February and I used it while we were there a couple of weeks ago. (We must have been there at the same time).
Also got the password from Paulo at CRC and used wifi there.
I don't know where Ana and her husband went to....she is a really nice lady.
Pat
PS what is the group called on facebook?
Don't beleive this! This is the second time I have done this. My first post had a link to a website and the forum came up with a message saying I could not post links. Then deleted my post!!

I have returned from Cabanas and had a great time. We got out and about a bit to other towns.

The wifi in the Pedras was not what I expected. In the UK we have outdoor aerials on lampposts broadcasting to anyone with logon credentials. The Pedras was the official Portugal Telecom hotspot but was basically a home router on the bar of the pool bar. Handy whilst around the pool of course but I could not pick it up at the villa. I had hoped to be able to stream UK radio live on the internet in the villa!

We had a laugh at the new shopping centre in Tavira. It was being built while we were there and there was a ( we thought very optimistic sign) saying it would open in 16 days! Did it?

Now here is that link I mentioned above.

http://www.tinkera.fsnet.co.uk/cabanosh.htm
i have edited your link but it dosn't work.... as a new member you are not permitted by the program to paste links, if you can find the right one i will edit it again for you

wizard
It is the same as you have it except it has "www" with a dot at the begining, and a dot followed by "htm" at the end.

Cheers,

Henry
Cheers Pat, i must have misunderstood what Carlos said, I thought he said that they were going to get wifi.

On facebook search I typed in Cabanas da Tavira, and it came up, but the full title is "O Escalho - Cabanas de Tavira snack bar"

Dot, the Gran Plaza was open a fortnight ago

cheers

Richard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.