Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
why not change so that you have more nights in Phuket instead of Bangkok?
I would seriously rethink changing to Sri Lanka. I would like to go there too but there are too many incidents there for me. Just my opinion of course.
So far the protest has been peaceful but of course there is no way of knowing the outcome. In the end you have to do what you are happy with.( I know what you are going through- we are thinking about changing our flights to Mumbai. )
I am now wishing I had never decided to try Thailand and will not consider going there in the future, this is going to cost the Thai people big time in lost tourism. :wave:

Yep, optimistic reports say that about 500,000 people will lose their jobs next year due to the drop in tourists. So if you decide to never visit Thailand again you aren't punishing the conservative elite who run the country, only the regular Thais who depend on tourism to make a living.

Agree with Fiona, if your grounds for not visiting Thailand is safety then Sri Lanka hardly seems like an ideal alternative.

Safety isnt an issue. It's just whether the airport will reopen. There should be news tomorrow as a key court ruling is expected that might force the government out and so put an end to the stand off. If this happens the airport should reopen with no bloodshed in a few days time.
Safety is a concern obviously but the main concern at the moment is the not knowing the outcome of this situation, as if I cancel now I can recover the majority of the costs for hotels paid for. If I leave that to late I will not be able to do that or will have difficulty arranging an alternative trip.

Mind you I find it hard to believe that things will get back to normal in such a short time as even if PAD get there way will this end the dissent, I can see the pro government supporters being very upset and we may then see the red shirts in mass protests with possible clashes between both.

Even if they do leave the airport in the next few days the news is reporting that it will take at least a week to get the airport running normally again.

All in all a very bleak picture for the Thai economy.
Can you get Emirates to re-route you to Kuala Lumpur instead of Bangkok?

And then you can use Air Asia to get you to Phuket / Krabi / Hong Kong, and spend time in KL instead of Bangkok?

There are no issues / problems with the South and all airports are fine. The Thai's would seriously appreciate it, they will suffer big time as a result of what is going on and many thousands of people will loose their jobs, villages their income etc. I went post-Tsunami to the area for a holiday, and I was made to feel as the most special person ever. An amazing (but marginally heartbreaking) holiday.

Far prefer to do that than Sri Lanka (I do love Sri Lanka having been twice, but probably wont be going again, but could never bore of Thailand).
We live in Turkey and have had this holiday booked for a long time.Turkish Airlines have cancelled all flights to Bangkok and after having spoke again with them today we decided to cancel.There was also an article in The Straits Times online today which said that Even if they could re open today they couldn't as a lot of the computers have been sabotaged and it will take at least a week to get them up and running.As we were due to fly out this Friday we had no option but to cancel and re book for February.It will cost money that will not be recovered but better to lose a little than a lot.Thailand here we come, just a little later than planned.

Ian
I feel for you, i am suppose to fly out of Toronto Canada on the 18th of December for Bangkok. But things are not looking good at the moment. I hope come the 5th (the Kings B-Day) He can maybe try and bring a quick solution to the stand-off. Have been planning this trip since my last visit to the Land of Smiles in May, and will be very dissapointed if i cannot make the trip. I also thought of flying into phuket and maybe take a bus over to the central Thailand but its most likely a very long journey. And since I am already on a 25 hour flight i dont feel like sitting on a bus for another 10-12 hours. I am flying with Finnair and the places they go are very limited. Either europe or a few select destinations in Asia. I will return again as it is a wonderful place to vacation, its not worth missing because of one bad experience.
The latest news this morning is the governing People Power Party has been dissolved by the Administrative Court. Its executives including Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat have been banned from holding office for 5 years.

This could lead to more trouble as the pro-government UDD (Red Shirts) hold protests.

Further news is only 37 government MPs, including 16 cabinet members, were affected by the ruling including the PM, 22 cabinet ministers are unaffected and they can still govern once they choose a new caretaker PM.

The PAD have just issued a statement that all cabinet members need to go or they are staying put.

So it's not over yet and we still have to see if pro-government supporters are going to act. :que
Looks like good news now as Thai anti-government protesters have agreed to end their occupation of Bangkok's airports, allowing thousands of stranded tourists to leave.

Passenger flights from the main international airport are to resume on 4 December according to news reports.

Brilliant news but hopefully things don't get voilent between PAD & Government supporters and things can get back to a semblance of normality. :tup
I'm supposed to be flying to Bangkok with my daughter on the 13th December. :que

Luckily Etihad are being pretty cool about it and once I get to Abu Dhabi I can choose another destination so might head to Bali (Well Jakarta so close) or India or Sri Lanka etc. etc.. So really it's quite exciting as I am now on a mystery holiday and really don't know where I'm going to be for a month...

I haven't booked any hotels so I'm spared that one...

Ah well things might still work themselves out by Saturday week...
Well good news for all but to late for me as I cancelled last night.Not as straight forward for me, living in Turkey.Re booked for end of Feb, when I hope no stress precedes departure.Have good hols everybody thats going now and for me, Better late than never.

Ian
Have now decided that as long as Emirates are flying to Bangkok on the 16th and there are no problems in Bangkok then we'll be going.

Might be a bit quieter now than it would have been as many will have cancelled but sure we will still have a great time. :cheers
Really glad I did not cancel this trip as I had a superb time in Bangkok & Phuket.

Will try and do a brief report later but if anyone is not sure about trying Thailand for the 1st time then please don't be unsure just go you will have a great time. :tup
It's nice to hear you had a great time. Like you I am trying Thailand for the first time in 6 weeks time instead of Goa so I will be really interested to read your report. So far I only have flights to Bangkok booked so need to decide where to go and what to do!
Hi Tracy

Like yourself I have been to Goa & Kerala many times but decided to give Thailand a try this time as unfortunately Goa is changing, not for the better IMO.

Anyway I had a superb time the quality of the food and accomodation was better than Goa.

We stayed for 3 nights at the Dream Hotel in Bangkok which was excellent (got a good deal from Asia Rooms) and 10 nights in Phuket at Karon, staying here

http://www.pacific-club-resort.com

This place is superb and great value for money I would thoroughly recommend it, will get round to a report at the weekend too busy catching up with work at present.
we have both of those in our reviews so would love to have your review when you have time :D
The dispute was a pain but no more than a temporary delay, nothing can take away the great city as Pattaya is, if you decide never to go to Thailand because of that then its your loss.
Just got back from South Africa and we leave for our long awaited visit to Thailand Feb. 27th. Despite the cancellation in December we just rebooked the same trip.We both love the country so we can't wait.Full report when we are back.I will report on South Africa when I wake up.

Ian
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.