Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Funny- everybody seems to come across people who tell them places are shut- except us! :lol: We have had the gem selling though. If we ever decde to book a trip again I think we will be prepared just to make our own way back when they decide to finish off with the gem factory!
We intend to have a look through the department stores this time. We have had brief visits to them before but never had the time to do them justice. I dont know if it was just because I was tired ( at the end of a day of sightseeing) but I wasn't that over impressed with MBK. I will try it again though.
When we visited Lumphini the underground station was just under construction. Did you use it at all?
We've had seemingly respectable people (claim to be doctors, work in Shangri-La etc) come up to us with general chat than move on to shopping discussions. We always say no thanks and they soon move on.

The ones where people say a place is closed if frustrating. I seen people turn back from visiting Jim Thomsons house because of this...we carried on and of course it was open. I've been told the Grand Palace is shut, various temples closed for meditation sessions. I've had tuk-tuk divers drop us off in the middle of nowhere because we don't want to visit a gem factory. I've never felt threatened by it, just frustrated as its eating into valuable holiday time.

I have to say I was not overly impressed with MBK either. We like Central Dept Store because they have quality stuff in there. Siam Paragon was very impressive as a shopping mall...but many of the shops were the top end of the market..the real Gucci and Versace etc. The Peninsula had a shop and restaurant there as did the Oriental so you can see what clientele the place was aimed at.

We passed through the underground station at Lumphini...easiest way to cross the road. Very shiny and nice....opens up quite a few more hotels to getting around Bangkok more easily.
  • Edited by Sunbear 2006-03-23 13:48:28
You've just reminded me! I was wrong about never being told something was closed. We were told that on the walk up the lane to Jim Thomsons! Of course we knew it was rubbish but anybody not doing research could easily be fooled.
Exact same place they tried it on with us....some Americans turned back because of it despite us telling them it should be open. Wonder why Jim Thomsons don't do something about it as it must be losing them business...a big sign saying "honest we are open" would do.
Ohh just noticed how I spelt Peninsula...missed out the second 'n' how embarassing.
bkk
We were told 4 times on the way to the Grand Palace that it was closed. One couple were actually standing at one of the gates and said they were palace management. When we walked on to one of the other gates, she ran screaming after me that I would get burned if I walked any longer in the sun- that's when we knew something was amiss
Sunbear, can you tell us more about the serviced apartments? I need to find somewhere to stay later this year and what you've described sounds ideal.
Thanks.
have to say I have been thinking about finding more about serviced apartments as well.
Hi,

I've stayed at two service apartments within Bangkok. The Meritus State Towers (now Le Bua), and this time round Somerset Suwan Park View managed by rhe Ascott group. Its much like staying at a hotel in that you get the room serviced on a daily basis, the apartments will probably have a number of restaurants and you get breakfast. Its just you get more room for the same price you might pay for a hotel. You might not get quite the service levels you might expect from a hotel as they are more geared up for business and long stay users. Having said that the Suwan ParK had gym, childrens play room, swimming pool and a helpful reception. The rooms had a huge amount of cupboard space, lounge with dvd and home cinema and open plan kitchen area, desk with free broadband connection.

I've found the quality of the rooms to be as good as or better than hotels I have stayed

Have to say serviced people seem quite a good choice for people with kids or a larger group as many places have two/three bedroom options.

As with hotels there is a pretty good choice of serviced residences of various standards and locations. Have a look at
http://www.asiatravel.com/bangkok/apartment.html
to get a few ideas. We booked the apartments direct with the establishment in both cases.
I do like to be spoiled though! It is the only place we can really afford 5 star! Thanks- will look at the website.
You can have both...Le Bua for example is a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World group, but also has some swish residences.
Hi Sunbear
Thanks for all your help so far. As you can probably tell this is our first trip to Thailand.
I was extremely interested to read your message about service apartments. We are going to Bangkok and Hua hin in the summer. We have booked our accomodation in Hua Hin but have yet to book in Bangkok. Have looked at the website you recommended and am extremely impressed. Think we may give this option a go.
Thanks again.
Debs
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.