Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
When are you thinking of going. If its our winter or spring I would point you in the direction of Phuket. Kata or Karon beaches might fit the bill. Not as lively as Patong but with plenty of bars and restaurants. Shopping can be done in either resort or by taking an evening trip to Patong or Phuket Town. As its quite a large island there are a number of trips that can be done which don't involve a boat trip - although by not taking the boat now and then you may miss some of the best Thailand has to offer in terms of natural beauty.

Hua Hin is a pleasant enough town and has the advantage of being a real Thai town. Plenty of bars and restaurants and numerous trips to be taken many land based. The beaches are not as good as Phuket or Koh Samui's but are still perfectly acceptable. Hotels like the Hiton and the Sofitel are central with easy access to town, beach and night markets. The Anantara is a short drive out. Cha'am is a few miles north of Hua Hin and has the feel of being more of a Thai resort although there are a few hotels that cater to the international market.

Koh Samui is another alternative, especially in or summer months. Chaweng is the livliest resort (perhaps too lively?) but there are quieter locations like Bophut and Choeng Mon.
Have stayed in Karon beach on Phuket, Cha Am and in Ao nang in Krabi as well.

Phuket is mcuh more geared up for tourists and so on
Cha Am- a very thai resort, fab food, some good quality and locally owned hotels, within easy reach of Hua Hin as well for variety. Beach was prefectly fine, although they are working beaches which personally we love
Ao Nang- limited beach but lots of great beaches within easy reach, good restaurants,
Hi Guys

Thanks for the fast responses, i am looking at Phuket as we speak and my tour operator said that maybe Pattaya might fit the bill? But she did stress she hadnt been to these resorts and would get expert help from tradewinds as they had all been to the resorts mentioned.

Sunbear......I am ok on boats if the sea isn't rough, and i would like to go in February purely because it is our wedding anniversary and my husbands birthday on the 30th January.

The Hilton is one hotel i have marked for Hua Hin and has some good reviews.

Is there any other brochures i should be looking for some good prices? The Tour operator said that Quatar airways i would be flying with and having to change at Doar airport (spelling perhaps not correct lol)
Qatar Airways are fab, but I bet for only a small bit more you can fly direct on EVA or Thai.

I think Phuket or Koh Samui fit your bill. I wouldn't call Hua Hin or Cha Am beautiful, but it certainly does the job. The Hilton Hua Hin is right, slap bang in the middle of things on the beach. The benefit of Hua Hin is you're not taking an extra flight, but the swimming and sights aren't as nice.

Pattaya - well, I'll leave someone else to stand up for it, but I can't stand the seedy, sex tourist nature of the place and wouldn't go if someone was paying me to go! Horrid place.
:lol: Seems perhaps phuket fits our bill then, i like your directness re: Pattaya lol

Michelle x
Hubby just added he didnt want it to be too English eg, fish and chips and burgers bars everywhere.

Michelle x
Pattaya...no!!! Hated the place left after three days. Still I suppose at least I can say I have been.

Seas around Phuket will be pretty calm in February...weather hot and sunny. You will find the odd burger bar and Irish bar in the Kata and Karon areas...it seems inevitable in the more built up tourist areas. My favourite Thai restaurant on Kata turned into a burger bar how sad is that. Still I suppose their only giving tourists what they want.
:yikes Even tradewinds are trying to get me to go to Pattaya, thank goodness for HT giving me the proper info i need.

I am looking in Phuket, for the first time going there i think this would suit us, now i have to decide which hotel to twin with one in Bankok, any recommendations?

Seen laguna Beach and the Meridien, look nice, but not sure if too remote? They are with Virgin.

Thank you.
Hi, we stayed at the Merlin Beach resort onTri Trang beach Phuket a few years ago. It was lovely, although a little bit on it's own beach, it was easy to get to Karon and Pattaya if you want to.

http://www.merlinphuket.com/merlinbeachresort/index.html
Laguna hotel is on the Laguna complex on Phuket in the Bang Tao area. The complex is made up of a number of hotels including the Dusit Laguna, Sheraton, Allamanda and the Banyan Tree with the obligatory golf course. While nice it gives a somewhat cosmeticised holiday in Thailand..a bit like staying at Nusa Dua in Bali, Playa Dorada in Dom Rep. There are local restaurants to visit so you're not totally at the mercies of the hotels and their prices. The beach is good, its just when I visited I felt that I could have been in any deluxe tropical resort complex anywhere in the world.
Have you stayed in a nice hotel in Phuket Sunbear that offers the itinerary i asked at the beginning?

Thanks.
I have but the hotel rarely appears in UK brochures. Kata Beach Resort 31/2 to 4 star hotel directly on Kata Beach. Use to appear in Hayes and Jarvis brochures.
Kata Beach Hotel is a really nice hotel We stayed there last year for a week. It's on the beach but to get there it's a few steps down as the hotel has a small sea wall (which saved them during the Tsunami) We booked a deluxe room through asiarooms at a very reasonable price. I also emailed the hotel and requested a ground floor room which they gave us. However, some of the rooms are near a road and can be very noisy... just make sure you book a room that faces the pool or the beach.
There are lots of restaurants around the Kata Beach and you won't have to walk very far to eat.
If I knew how to upload photos I would.
Sorry I sound like a broken record but the Holiday Inn in Patong is wonderful and you will not be disapointed... we stay in the Busakorn Wing and love it there. You never hear a bad word about it and it is full of repeat guests.
We are off to Pattaya in a few weeks, it's our first time in that area. We have chosen hotels away from the main drag and all THAT. The Woodlands and The Rabbit Resorts both gets great reviews. The Woodland is part of our flight and accommodation package but we have booked The Rabbit resort direct with the owner the very lovely Mrs Rabbit who has been a delight to deal with... despite our many changes.
Cheers Geri
Hayes and Jarvis do a direct flight with thai international, staying at the Majestic in Bankok for 3 nights then fllying to Phuket staying at the holiday inn for 11 nights.

Both on bed and breakfast and the upgrade to the Busakorn studio in the holiday inn.

Total price includes transfers but no trips was £2998 for two of us, does that price seem expensive to you?
I'm sorry I can't comment on pounds as my head is in Aussie $$$. Thai Airways is my favourite airline and don't forget to join their free travel programme, you can do it on line but you MUST do it before you go. We joined 2004 and after a return trip to the UK we had enough points to return home from BKK to Melbourne to upgrade in business class... but the best thing is we now get 30kg in luggage allowance each even in economy.
The Holiday Inn isn't cheap especially if your going in their dry season and prices are high (by our standards) up until around April. You will not be disappointed it's a lovely hotel and I'm rather sorry we aren't going this year, however, I have it 'pencilled' in for next year for a HI fix.
If you want to get a rough idea of the cost of the HI go onto their website and have a look. I'm not sure if there is a currency converter, if not google 'oanda cheat sheet' I always print off a cheat sheet just before we travel, it helps me as I'm not good at maths :oops:
Total price includes transfers but no trips was £2998 for two of us, does that price seem expensive to you?

Our first trip to Thailand was with Kuoni, who were excellent.
I'll give you our itinerary and costs, but bear in mind that this was in January 2004, so prices will have risen a little since then.

Return Flight LHR - BKK - Thai Airways
3 Nights Holiday Inn Silom
Flight to Chiang Mai (Thai)
4 Nights Amari Rincom
Flight to Krabi (Thai)
10 Nights Ao Nang Villa, superior room
Flight to BKK to return home (Thai)

The cost was £2400 for 2 people, including transfers - which were mostly by a private taxi.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.