Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I couldn't get any info on Manos or MyTravel for next year - only April 08. I went into the travel agents and they too said no flights from Birmingham (unfortunately).
I booked with the Thomas Cook web site however looking at there website now the Birmingham flight has been removed and only offerign Gatwick - will ring them tomorrow!!
This is very odd and very worrying
I we only returned from Calangute last week and our rep. Concy from first choice was telling us that next season they were doing 5 flights a week
and kingfisher are apparently starting flights from the UK to goa
anybody else heard this?
Kingfisher flights hopefully starting this august and I think are to Mumbai not goa and not sure where from in the UK. I read something about it on Gaon voice a few days ago.

Charter flights seem to have been cut. There's so little choice around for next season since all the company mergers. I couldn't get a 3 week flight from manchester when I was looking unless it was with Monarch and the price was extortionate. Main reason I plumped for jet from Heathrow.
I think the days of the cheap package to Goa are over. I had heard from someone in the travel business that this year there are going to be a lot of cuts. Lets face it when they reduced holidays to £179 this is a sure sign that next season there will be fewer flights.

Big travel companies want to make money without the hassle and this year there have been too many complaints and also bad press. They will just go elsewhere to find a more profitable route.

So I think if you are looking for longer than 2 weeks it's a flight to Mumbai.

Maybe this is also a ploy to get rid of the 'Giro' tourists that the Indian Govn' don't want.
Whats a Giro tourist :que someone who stays for several months?
A 'Giro' tourist is what the India Govn' don't want. Those travelling to Goa on cheap charters while working the benefit system and signing on and staying in Goa for between 2 weeks and a few months and spending the bare minimum when they are in Goa.

Believe you me there are a lot of them! I was in Spotty's one day where there were a dozen or so blokes bragging about how great it was being out in Goa and getting Giros. This is what the Goans call 'white trash'.
Shocking Neil! :yikes
How the :swear do they get away with it, amazing!!!
Off topic I know, one couple we met, he was on full disability, about 40 years old, carried a stick in case of cameras! suffered from a supposed leg injury although appeared able to walk for miles on the beach, spent the winter in Goa, then moved on in April to the appartment they owned in Spain, seemed quite proud of what he was doing, on the way to his Spanish abode, they were squeezing in a couple of weeks in Sharm. !! Dont know what I did wrong, working for 50 years, They are lots more of them in Goa, I,ve met quite a few and they all seem proud of their scams. Rant over Alan
Just spoke to Thomas Cook who advised the My Travel/Manos flight from Birmingham (TOM 1563) is on hold and no further booking are being taken!!! Why? I was advised this could be because airline carrier is changing, departure airport is changing, time of flight is changing or even the flight will be cancelled.

As at today they cannot confirm which action they are going to take and if I want to cancel b4 a decision is made I will lose my deposit. I did ask if I cancelled and the flight was subsequently cancelled would they refund my deposit - answer no!! I also asked what compensation they would offer me if the flight was cancelled in 6 weeks time and it cost me more monies to book a comparable holiday with another supplier - NONE. As far as Thomas Cook is concerned they took the booking in good faith and will let me know as and when they get an update!! Doesn't appear to be a lot of help to me though

All very one sided and as this has happened to me before and the outcome was I had to stay in Arpora and not Candolim using taxis everyday, I am not prepared for this to happen again, and will not fly Monach

Also 2 version of events now beign advised
phone call one to Thomas Cook flight is still running no problems ( I booked with TC)
phone call to MyTravel advised flight on hold and why- Not a very joined up approach from supposedly one Group, not too mention the distinct lack of customer service (Sister booked with MyTravel)

Now there are basically 2 BIG tour companies believing they can do what they like, how they like and without any consideration of Treating Customers Fairly - perhaps they need a code to be governed by!!! I am considering calling trading standards or CAB. Something has to be done to offer the customer some protection or we all book last minute and see what flights are available - again this does suit everyones personal circumstances
Sounds like the tour operators don't give a s**t about Goa. Well then, if the Tourism minister thinks most uk charter tourist are 'dregs' well maybe the Tour operators are going to act accordingly. Personally I wouldn't risk booking a charter right now, there's a lot of weirdness going on right now in Goa regarding UK tourism it would seem.
as long as you don't book BA ;) I don't think its too bad going through Mumbai. I it also opens up the choice of accomodation.
I dont think it would be wise for anyone to rely on any charter bookings at this time for next season. As previous posters have pointed out the last people the big companies will think of is their customers, as they will chop and change airports and times , and if that means cancellation or major changes for their customers, it wont bother them a bit. As Fiona says, if you can, sheduled is a much more reliable option (barring BA) Alan
Just been loking on the BA website and it is saying that they dont fly to Goa
is this a new thing?
Amy,

Only charters fly from UK or internal flights fly direct to Goa. You have to get a flight to Mumbai first.
Lots of mergers gone on just recently and they seem to be 'pruning' their flights! I was told from a reliable source there were no flights from Birmingham next season - not happy! but booked from Gatwick otherwise I can see no holiday to Goa!
Well today I cancelled my 7th Xmas/New Year trip to Goa. Booked it January flying out of Birmingham with First Choice. Found out myself by going onto Thomsons website that they were switching airports to East Midlands in March but only recently received a letter from them confirming the change. Have now booked elsewhere.
Yes, I know the flights were advertised from Brum before I went out 15 March but when we came back - gone and yes they've been moved to East Mids. I hope they don't manage to fill them - I put on my questionnaire - 'more flights from Birmingham please!' and that's before I knew about the cut. Bit of a joke really - Bham's supposed to be the 2nd city and flights are either really expensive or sparse from here.
Sri Lankan airlines fly from Dubai via Colombo to Goa. We did this route earlier this year, flying first to Dubai,stopped over for a few days then on to Goa. Was much better than travelling through Mumbai and cost the same.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.