General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Can't say I have ever had a really bad holiday, I guess some are more enjoyable than others, I usually do a lot of research beforehand and know pretty much what to expect. I don't really like to spend more than a couple of days doing nothing so a two week holiday in Es Cana Ibiza about 12 years ago with my very elderly parents probably was the most boring, though even then I found things to do and see. The Island is so small I think I had driven all the way round it in two days.
Has to be Alcudia for me,

Found it really boring!! There was just nothing going on at all :( night life was :swear
Our worst holiday was during Christmas 2005 in Cabanas Portugal.It was that bad we got all our money back thanks to Ros.
:D Benalmadena, (costa del sol),must have been the worst for us, very expensive, and non existent night life,(both for adults and kids) Luckily for us the hotel had lots of day/night time activities, for the kids, so whilst the kids had a great time during the day/evening, we were confined to the hotel of an evening!

Tenerife (las americas), was nearly as bad, plenty of bars/clubs, but nothing in the way of family entertainment!, kids were bored silly!

That is why we always stick to benidorm now, the entertainment there is great, there is something for every age group!
Not really had a bad one so far although accommodation in Majorca on my only visit left a lot to be desired. The beauty of the island just about countered the grotty hotel.

Went to Crete and the TA had changed the hotel on us without informing us. Arrived at the originally requested hotel only to find we had no booking.

Menorca and Cyprus didn't do too much for us, but that's more down to personal preference than any great problems we experienced.
Elenite Bulgaria-so bad as have previously posted that we went to small claims court and won.
Has to be Menorca for me. Took my step daughter with us and she was a total mare, wether was abismal, rain, wind average 15 degrees all wee,resort of Arenal De'Castell was sooooooo boring, more Spars than Bars, hotel dining room was a cattle market done in 3 sittings, we were first and felt we were being rushed all the time. Awful. Hired a car to see other resorts and there wasn't much going on anywhere else.

Cazz.xx
I went on my honeymoon to cyprus and we hated the place. We were in aiya napa first and the pavements were still being built. The waiters in the restaurants would lear at my wife then give me dirty looks. The main entertainment was in the main square 4 bars blasting out music as loud as they could it was a alful noise, all the other bars were boring. Our air co n wasnt working the first night and we cooked alive.

In the hotel the entertainment was a game of bingo that ended after 20 mins and then night with this rubish magician called dr who that went for 30 mins.

Moved hotels to limassol and that hotel was no good so went to the martins rooks office and said if they don't move me to another hotel was camping in their office, got offered a 4 * hotel that was really nice. I nearly died when I got the bill for 2 drinks from the hotels £5 for a barcadi and coke and a orange juice, this was in 86. At night a awful stench would drift over and limassol reminded of a high street in london. Went to callosi castle probably spelt it wrong. We got the bus and the driver said he will be back in 30 mins he came back 5 hrs later. The local kept on trying to get me some card game for money, I was really going to do that. And I have been to anywhere that has so many flies, went in restaurant near the hotel and goats and chicken were walking around.

I have never been back since.
sliema in malta was worst place we ever went.
it was dirty, with no beach(although we did find a lovely one in south of island) and very little in the way of entertainment.
we ventured to st julians most nights because the hotel food was so awful.
this was around 1989.
we did explore the island and visited all the other resorts by bus and car, but would never go back.
we both did love cyprus though, limassol particularly.
Zante in Greece for us ! terrible we just couldnt wait to get back from our 2 week " so say " holiday! we found 1 nice resturant out of everything the two weeks we were there apsolutley TERRIBLE!

CourtneeLouise
For me, it has to be Maspalomas in Gran Canaria. No offence is intended here, because I have no problems with other nationalities on holiday, but the resort was geared for Germans and Germans alone.

We were staying all inclusive and the hotel was terrible - food and entertainment. We ate out in Playa Del Ingles nearly every night which considering we had paid for all inclusive, did eat all our spending money. In the hotel, the Brits were sectioned off at one end of the complex and treated like cattle (and yes, I know that sometimes they can be a bit like cattle but that was taking it too far :roll: ). One night, the security guards turned off all the power (no lights or electricity) so that they could get a few families who were sat on their balconies having a drink or two, to go in as they were obviously enjoying themselves too much and the guards couldnt be bothered to do their job. The entertainment was in German and not English. It wasnt even translated. Its one of the only holidays that we have made use of the television on an evening as there wasnt anything else to do.

The beach at Maspalomas is beautiful but it was a 45 minute walk to and from it. The courtesy bus which should have ran every half hour, 6 days a week, only turned up once during a two week stay.

The whole holiday was a nightmare and we couldnt wait to get home. We did however, complain and were given nearly £500 back in compensation. Speaks for itself I think.

Sarah :)
Cala n forcat in menorca for us one street just full of bouncy castles chuck out of bars about 11.30 weather was awfull that cold i had goose pimples were i never thought you could get them :lol: :lol: just so boring never again will stick to benidorm or majorca from now on
My worst ever holiday was to Tunisia in 2003 with my now ex-husband and his family.

I had no choice but to go as they booked it - without asking if I wanted to go first, and I lost my job because of them as I said I couldnt take them particualr dates, but they didn't listen, just told me I was going and that was that! My ex then dropped it on me while we were there (he finally admitted it) that he was shagging another girl. He made out everything that was wrong on holiday and at home was all my fault - never his or his family's fault, then I couldn't even get an earlier flight home so I was stuck there for 2 weeks with a bunch of idiots. My ex also tried telling me how long I could sunbathe for - he was so up himself. Im glad I divorced him and his family. He tried to ruin one holiday in Cyprus - but he failed coz I totally ignored his moaning. He even threw all my stuff off the dressing table, tried to smash my hairdryer in front of me - but it didnt break so he gave up trying! Then he tried to tell me I couldn't pick anything up. I picked it up, packed my case and threatened him I would leave and lock him out of the flat when I got home!

Tunisia is the worst country I have ever been to as you only get hassled everytime you set foot out of the hotel grounds. I tried to flog the ex but they didn't want him. I don't blame them either! The hotel was totally disgusting, food was boring, no entertasinment except for the kids - after 9pm!

Im so glad I'm away from that lot.

Im now happily settled in Nottngham with my fiance of 2 years.
Club Bodrum, Turgutreis, Turkey. It was supposed to be AI, but there was next to no alcohol, absolutely no entertainment whatsoever, nothing at all for the kids.

Took Airtours to court with Ros and won and that was long before HT.

Been back to Turkey and loved it.

luci :wave
JJules, sorry... but you really made me laugh! its amazing how many rows/domestics you see at airports and resorts, i think 2 weeks 24/7 is too much sometimes.

My worst holiday experience and only one has to be Gambia, nice weather and hotel ok and lots to see, but the hassle from locals (bumsters) is unbelievable, its just relentless it was just 24 hour stalking, no amount of tact or diplomacy made it any better. We had been to Egypt and Tunisia so we knew how to deal with a bit of hassle and were not naive but those guys were something different!

also been to the Caribbean three times and generally found it disapointing and a bit over-rated, given up now.
My worst holiday was in Icmeler Turkey.
It was supposed to be a 4 * hotel with marble floors and rugs adorning the hotel..
The reality was, that it was a dump with a capital D.
The rugs were threadbare and death traps, the pool was like soup and we wouldn't go in it and I had a hell of a job keeping the son out too.
There was a puppy that belonged to one of the workers that was pooing everywhere and in the morning it was all over the marble steps.
The restaurant was outside under a gazebo and it was like a "free for all" with many locals staying in the hotel and I dread to think what would have happened if it had rained, plus the food was gross !

The locals were friendly, but by the second week they peed me off by pawing and touching you to come into their bars and we went into Marmaris and within half an hour, I said "for god's sake get me out of here"...you just couldn't look at anything before they pounced on you to buy, buy, buy. :roll:
I acquired that many mosquito bites that on arrival back in the UK, I ended up in hospital on steroids, antibiotics, a nebulizer and a drip.
This was at least 15 years ago and I've never been back to Turkey and never will.

Sorry all you Turkey lovers :lol:

Sanjiiiiii
Got to agree pretty much with SANJI, went to Marmaris 5 yrs ago ,
never ever again ,I wouldn't send my worst enemy to Turkey
Turkey has changed over the last few years and there are some amazing hotels of international standad.I have just had a quote for a hotel(no1 on trip advisor) for £388 for 2 weeks AI next month.I cant get a week for that anywhere else for this standard.Unless someone knows different.
Our worst has got to be 2 weeks in the DR.
The hotel didn't look too bad on arrival, then we found out there was no hot water due to a broken boiler. So no hot bath or shower for 8 days, the sheets and towels stained in body fluids so we felt dirty even after a cold wash.

Then they lets hoards of rowdy locals in at the weekends, it was total chaos, no food left in the buffet, they ran out of drinks at the bar and the noise all night was unbelievable. There was even a group having very lood sex on the balcony. :shock: :shock:
I nearly forgot to mention that many of them were openly carrying guns, which was slightly scary with the amount they were drinking and picking fights with each other.

When they couldn't get the part for the boiler they installed a new one but it was so powerful, as soon as they ran it all the pipes in the ceiling started to leak and eventually burst bringing the ceilings down all over the hotel, it looked like a blooming war zone.

Many people were moved but the other hotel wasn't suitable for us as we have walking difficulties and it had too many stairs so we had to stay put.

To be honest, it was so bad it kind of became funny in the end, the main topic of conversation with fellow guests was about what could go wrong next. :lol:

We made the best of it and met some fabulous people and it certainly wasn't boring but I was angry that the TO had the nerve to take so much money for such a fiasco and thanks to Roz we were compensated eventually.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.