Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Well somebody must have been to one of these islands in late season, anybody????? :bhead
last year we went to kefalonia on the 15th october - the weather at the start of the week was brill, but then it turned slightly overcast....thou we were still able to walk around in t shirts and shorts. heard other reports that the week previous and week afterwards was good.

Lets say its better than being here
I've been to all 3 (and other parts of Greece), late September/early October and had similar weather. The latest we've returned home was 15th October from Rhodes. It's generally been mid to upper 20s in the day, warm enough for the beach but cooler at night so you could need a jumper or light jacket for the evenings. We've never had more than half a days rain, often a thunderstorm that has cleared in an hour or two. Later in the month the weather can start to get more changeable - but can still be good.
Have been to Rhodes twice in October and had lovely weather, not a drop of rain. Went to Kefalonia some years back the second week in October and had 3 days of dreadful weather, storms, the lot.
Not been to Santorini that late but Mykonos first week in October was not bad during the day although evenings were chilly.
Most people reckon Rhodes or Crete is your best bet for late in the season.
Thanks for the replies folks, !!
Personally I wouldn't go to Zante that late - we went the last 2 weeks of Sept a few years ago and had simply dreadful weather.
Haven't been to the other 2 that late in the year.
Someone once told me that as a general rule of thumb, the further south the island is, the better weather you should have. :)
Occasional periods of unsettled weather lasting 2 to 4 days start in late September in Keffalinia and Zakinthos. They're less frequent and start a couple of weeks later later in Santorini

On a two week holiday in late September you've got about a 50% chance of meeting a rainy period in Zante/Keffallinia, and in October it's almost a certainty. In Santorini there's about a 50% chance of having unstettled weather in the first two weeks of October.

Wot's unsettled weather? 2 to 4 days of cloud, often accompanied by a few very exciting thunderstorms, cool days, sometimes very big winds. Occasionally a seaside taverna may be washed/blown into the sea.
We had 2 weeks in Kefalonia from 3rd October in 2004. The first week was glorious with clear skies. The second week started getting cloudy and we lost the sun for the last 5 days and had one day where it rained constantly for 15 hours............The thunderstorm that accompanied it lasted 13 hours!!! :shock:
The lightning was brilliant though!
The day we came home the sun was shining again :( It didn't spoil our enjoyment at all though.

John
Hi :D

We went to Zante on October 2nd 2005 for 2 weeks and had glorious weather. We experienced one day of cloud and a couple of evenings of thunder storms but still came home with lovely tans! :o This was the first time I had been at that time of year and I was very suprised :!: as I did not expect it to be as hot as it was.

Last year we went the same time to Corfu for 2 weeks and once again had a lovely 2 weeks with just one day of thunderstorms. We are off again this year for the same 2 weeks back to Corfu :!:

It is still warm enough to go swimming every day at that time of year. We would recommend you take some warmer clothing for the evenings as temperatures drop to around 15 degrees sometimes.

As we like to do a bit of walking, we find that this time of year is actually better for us 8)

Hope this helps :?:
Have you tried looking at thhe website weatherundergound.com it gives you the history of the weather at that time going back about 10 years. I personally would have thought you would be better of with Santorini as it is further south, a friend of mine went to zante last year early October and it wasn't too good. We are off to Kos in October which is a lot further south so hopefully we will be ok.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.