Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I dont think anyone was giving unqualified advice. Its obviously not clear thats all

Lisa :)
There are no compulsory vaccinations for anywhere in the world, including Africa, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have them.

You should also check your travel insurance policy as some policies require you to have the vaccinations otherwise you may not be covered if you do contract one of the diseases you could have been vaccinated against.

luci :wave
hello everyone,visiting turkey next year for the first time a friend told me you need to have some injections when going to turkey.can anyone advise me weather this is true or not ,many thanks lorridens.

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
This is something that comes up frequently on this forum. There are no compulsary vaccinations for Turkey. For visits to most mediterranean countries it is recommended to have an up to date Tetenus and Hep A injection but it's up to you whether you choose to have it or not.
I have been going to Turkey for 20 years and have never had Hepatitis A or Typhoid vaccinations,but I am having these on Thursday,on the recommendation of the Practice nurse.
I am already covered for Tetanus,Polio and Diphtheria.
Went to Turkey 21st july 09,we never had vaccinations we were all fine we went with firstchoice and booked it in our local shop and the staff there never said anything about them.
Luci's post above is sound advice. For latest information, refer to the NaTHNaC's website. It's in your interest to ensure your vaccinations are up to date as recommended. I had my 10 year boosters in January.

Darren
I agree with Luci's advice as well. We always keep them up to date, can't really see any reason not to. When people post that they went and didn't catch anything it has no meaning as it doesn't mean that others wont be unlucky. It's just not worth risking a holiday for IMHO, it costs too much to then spend your time ill you cant enjoy yourself and no one wants to land up in hospital on holiday.
Do we need any special immunizations for Turkey?

I'm thinking not, but thought I would ask

Thnaks

Louise

There are no compulsary immunisations for Turkey but it is recommended that for all foreign travel to have Hep A and and Tetenus. Some people also get Typhoid. It is a matter of choice if you want them or not though.

If you do a search you will find there are lots of discussions on here about immunisations if you want to have a read ;)

Kedi
I have only decided to have Typhoid and Hepatitis A jabs because they are now inactivated vaccines.
When they were given as live vaccines I couldnt have them because they were contraindicated to a medical condition.
I am not worried about going to Turkey without having them but as I fancy a Nile Cruise this winter I am having them with that holiday in mind.
Im sure this has been asked many times but i cant find any relevant answers so i will ask again. Do you need injections to go to Turkey ? My son has just booked for Turkey and been told he needs injections but we went 2 years ago and were told we didnt, so we didnt have any and we were fine. How long do the injections last he had some for as he had some 2 years ago to go to Egypt. Thanks ;-)
ive been four times now, and never had any injections, however im sure i read somewhere on here a few years ago that it depended on where in turkey you went :que
I've been to Turkey half a dozen times and never had any injections
This is a tricky subject as your insurance won't pay out should you contract an illness where it was recommended you had a vaccine and you decided against it.

The best thing to do is to have the up-to -date information from your GP. I've been to Turkey and even the Dom Rep in the past with no injections and no trouble. However, I've recently been reading that should I have contracted malaria for example, that my insurance would wash their hands of me because the medication was recommended. I used to think we'd be fine if it was only recommended and not compulsory, but apparently not.

We're going to Turkey in August and we won't be having any special injections. Having said that we were vaccinated against hep A and Typhoid only a few months ago before going to Morocco so we are still covered. Don't rely on people telling you that you don't need anything for Turkey. There is a website where you can check all the recommendations for different countries but I'm not sure of the address. Maybe somebody else here can post a link.
Recommended for travel now.

Tetanus/Diphtheria/Polio.................Every 10 years.

Typhoid.........................Every 3 years.

Hep A..............A single injection of vaccine protects against hepatitis A for about one year but you can then have a booster after 6 months to 1 year which it will then cover up to 20 years .

The site Shirley is talking about is http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/home.aspx and also check your travel insurance as they might not cover you if you become ill later from not going ahead and having your recommended vaccinations.

Angie.
I remember a long time ago as a youngster when typhoid and cholera was a real possibility when traveling abroad on holidays....and stories on the news about searching for contacts because of people bringing these infections into the country...people being isolated and people dying...all nurses even before they began their training had to go to a special unit to get a full course of innoculations including cholera and typhoid so they were protected in the event they came into contact or needed to nurse cases...I had them

I remember my aunt needed to get them for spain....thankfully its a lot safer these days...and people getting innoculated as a precaution has played its part....dont think we need cholera jabs any more.

tweetie
Well there seems to be conflicting advice from the GP surgeries: We first went to Turkey in 2004 and had Hep A (then the booster 6 months later) so still covered for that. We also had Typhoid whcih lasts 3 years.
We are off to Turkey again this year so when I spoke to my GP surgery I had to fill out a holiday vaccination form, the nurse apparantly looked at it and I had a call from the surgery saying I needed a Typhoid jab as well as Tetanus?dip/polio as I hadnt had a booster for 18 years. My ds of 13 was told he needed the Typhoid only.
Went for jabs today to be told by the nurse that they have a new book and the World Health Organisation ahs said it isnt necessary to have Typhoid unless you are going for more that 2 weeks and are not going to the resorts/hotels. So only I had the Tetnus/dip/pol jab.

Anyone else had this said to them?
Hi....yes...my GP told me exactly the same...Typhoid not necessary for the reasons you have said....my hep A, tetanus/diptheria and polio all upto date...my 15 year old just needs her tetanus jab :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.