Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
re,visa,vacc,s
17 Posts
you pay £10 each at the airport - you must get your stamp and visa BEFORE you pass through the security gates - they are normally located side by side

i've been to turkey 6 times and have never had any vaccinations!

i know some people do have them but personally i don't think they are necessary although if you are worried check with your GP
thank,s a lot for the advice,had been told something similar,just needed to put my mind at ease,thank,s again ;)
Definitely check with your GP regarding vaccinations, insurance companies do anything to get out of a claim and if it happens that you do catch anything they may use the fact that you have not followed your GP's advice even if you haven't asked him/her.

The following is from a post I made in 2008

On this forum a frequent answer to this question is "I've been going for years and never had a problem" and this is true most people have never has a problem but isn't it better to be safe than sorry, I recommend that you check with your GP and if they do recommends jabs and you decide not to have them confirm with your insurance company that you will still be covered, remember the jabs are free and it only takes an hour.

If you want some facts then carry on reading.

Typhoid, Hep A and Tetanus are all present in Turkey, mainly in the south east but remember people come from the south east to work in the resorts, someone who has had typhoid may seem totally OK but they can be infectious for a year, if you want to know the symptoms they are as follows:-

HEP A
Most people get better, symptoms can be severe, even deadly: high liver enzymes, high fever, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, and telltale jaundice. Symptoms last 1 to 4 weeks.

Typhiod (245000 cases in Turkey 1996-2006 see Here )

Typhoid fever is a life-threatening illness caused by the bacterium Salmonella Typhi. Persons with typhoid fever usually have a sustained fever as high as 103 to 104 F (39 to 40 C). They may also feel weak, or have stomach pains, headache, or loss of appetite. In some cases, patients have a rash of flat, rose-colored spots.

Tetnus

The incubation period from the time of the wound to the time of the symptoms is anywhere from a day to several months, with an average of about eight to nine days. Initially, individuals are very tired, irritable, have headaches, neck stiffness, and difficulty swallowing. Then comes the muscle rigidity and spasm, which you will have sustained contractions of muscles, specifically facial and jaw muscles, hence the term lock jaw. The overall mortality rate is around 30%. In individuals over 60 years of age, it jumps to 50%.

My family and I have all the jabs and we makesure we are upto date, even when wearing a seat belt was not illegal I always wore mine for "just in case" I crash or someone crashes into me, in my mind the jabs are the same and for "just in case" I meet a carrier who shows no symptoms.

Dave
thank,s all just booked appts with docs,just to be on safe side. ;)
If you want to be on the safe side then that's fine but you don't really need vaccinations for Turkey more than any other country, I'm sure we have all heard of cases of Typhoid in Spanish hotels! Hep A and Tetenus are really recommended for travel in ay mediterranean country and even in the UK.

Dave says about typhoid in south eastern Turkey but it really isn't a problem there. My husband comes from that area and he has never heard of a case of Typhoid anywhere. Someone actually told me there hasn't been a case of Typhoid in Turkey for over 40 years but I can't confirm whether that is true or not.

I don't think the vaccinations are expensive though so if you are happier having them you will be covered for 10 years wherever you go after that.
Further visa information can be found on the Visa for Turkey (£10) ... Q&As thread.

Darren
Check your travel insurance as it may be a requirement.

I know that my annual policy states that if you contract a tropical disease and did not have the recommended vaccinations then any medical costs will not be covered.

luci :wave
Is typhoid classed as a tropical disease?
I would assume they would class any disease for which a vaccination was available as a tropical disease. Best to check your own travel insurance policy for their definition.

luci :wave
Hi Kedi

I'm sure we have all heard of cases of Typhoid in Spanish hotels! Hep A and Tetenus are really recommended for travel in ay mediterranean country and even in the UK.

I agree althouigh in Western Europe the numbers are a lot lower hence the risk signifcantly decreases, I did read about an increase in Spain between 1988 and 1994 where there was an average of 5 cases a month in Barcelona, this was traced to a grandmother who worked in the family shop preparing food and she had been a carrier for 10 years without knowing. (Info available at http://www.jstor.org/pss/4481025)

Dave says about typhoid in south eastern Turkey but it really isn't a problem there. My husband comes from that area and he has never heard of a case of Typhoid anywhere. Someone actually told me there hasn't been a case of Typhoid in Turkey for over 40 years but I can't confirm whether that is true or not.

I actually have evidence to what I said regarding Typhoid in Turkey, unfortunately the link I posted in 2008 didn't copy over to this post, I obtained my information regarding Typhoid from the AKU, Medical Faculty, Department of Family Medicine, 03200 Afyonkarahisar, Turkey. Their report clearly shows that Typhoid is present in Turkey, the evidence is available here at http://www.isprs.org/congresses/beijing2008/proceedings/8_pdf/14_ThS-20/03.pdf this clearly states that there were 361817 cases between 1975 and 2006 (31 years) but the worrying thing is that 244487 (67%) of these cases were recorded over the last 10 years of the study between 1996-2006, does this show an increase in infection rates or is it just that detection methods are better, it also shows that the South East Turkey is the main area. The good news is that the mortality rate is getting lower year on year.

For a comparison this compares to the average number of USA cases being 245 per year whose population is 4 times that of Turkey

In the end I actually agree with the majority in saying that the chance of being infected in the main resorts is low however I believe people should have the facts so they can make an informed decision.

Dave
Well I don't know what the person was saying about there not being a case of Typhoid in Turkey for 40 years then! Maybe she meant in tourist resorts :que Anyway thanks for the information Dave.
Maybe I can alleviate some fears................We as a family have been travelling to Turkey for many years, and yes the first time we went we all had the relevant jabs.................since then, No. We go twice a year and have never once suffered from anything.

You do hear horror stories about people becoming ill, and I can bet you a pound to a bag of jelly babies, it will be too much sun, too much alcohol and not enough water, that is why people usually get sick on holiday. The heat, especially in July and August can be so intense, but with a little forethought and lots of sunscreen, a hat, and bottled water a plenty, then any problems should be at a minimum. Standards in Turkey have risen over the years and food and drink from most places is to a high standard. There are always exceptions to the rule, but for the best part if you follow the simple guidelines then you should stay well and enjoy everything on offer...........honest.

As for the visa, pay your £10 at the visa stamp desk, then go thru to passport control, where they check for the stamp, scan your details and away you go.
The visa stamp is valid for 90 days from day of entry, and the only stipulation to this, is, there must be 6 months from date of departure from Turkey still left valid on your passport.

That is it, no need to worry, just follow the crowds once you get off the plane and you will be fine.

Enjoy.
We've managed to work out why we often get slight stomach upsets on holiday...

There is an oil that is illegal to use in products that are made in this country (and I think also imported into this country). It is most often used to make crisps, and causes a lot of people to have slight-to-severe stomach upsets. (My eldest daughter gets it more severe, the rest of us less severe.)

Anyway, it is used in crisps in turkey and also in Lays (walkers abroad). So even the 'same' brands aren' really safe.

It doesn't affect everyone, and some people are often worse.

So thats another reason why quite a few people get ill abroad - something as simple as the crisps :) . Think I'll stick to lahmacun :cheers
I have travelled all over the world the last 30 years including Turkey since 1990 and had never any extra vaccinations.
I was always up to date with Tetanus,Polio and Hepatitis A.
When I went for my flu injection in October the practice nurse asked why I had never had any of the recommended vaccinations,
She knows I only go to Turkey now and occasionally to Sharm el Sheikh.
I decide to have the lot including Swine flu jab: :que
My husband was not amused when I roped him in for the same, :rofl
thank,s all just booked appts with docs,just to be on safe side.

I think you have made the correct decision,

Now have a great holiday and in the meantime feel free to ask more questions.

Dave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.