Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
200 cigarettes per person. Make sure you buy authentic ones and not fakes.

luci :wave
As Luci says watch out for fakes . Dont buy any from markets , street sellers etc and better still just get them at the airport on the way home . They are still very cheap . I know I shouldnt encourage it but we always bring back more than the allowance , although my hubby uses tabacco which is not as bulky and have never been stopped particularly if there are a few in your party.
Just an extra point, on your way home they will tell you in the airport that you can take as many as you wish, it's not true!
And be prepared for the smallest Duty Free shop ever at Bodrum Airport :)

For that reason the choice is limited brand wise, although they do several recognised brands & re-stock constantly. I found the choice in resort very limited too & was glad I waited until the airport to buy my Duty Free.

I actually got as good a price at Luton Duty Free on Cigs & spirit as we did at Bodrum :tup
I actually got as good a price at Luton Duty Free on Cigs & spirit as we did at Bodrum

Thats a good point . Never thought to look . I will do now :)
Hiya

Non of us smoke, but we do bring back for the puffers in the family, and because Turkey is outside the euro zone, they sell ciggies on the plane, which has always been the best deal for me.
Going out in September I bought 400 cigarettes for £35 or £22 for 200, we did actually buy another 400 on the way back, slapped wrists I know, but hey, others do it........lol The savings are fantastic even by comparison on the airports, the only advice I would give is, buy on your outward journey, because they do not re stock on the homeward bound one, and it is then a first come first served basis...............

They will have increased in price when we go again in May, (budget) but a lot cheper than buying from the shops here, and as has been pointed out, do not buy from street vendors or beach sellers, very very dodgy.

OOOOH one more word of buy buy buy,...... on the way back, we also got 2 1 litre bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin for £22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how brilliant is that, £20 for 70cl bottle here, so happy slurping folks....hic.
Don't forget if it's a Turkish Airline such as Onur - they stock up on the inbound flight - not outbound.....if you get what I mean :tongue

From experience last year - they didn't have a lot either way but you can pre-order online with Onur.

John
Last trip to Turkey in July we brought back 8 cartons of Old Holburn . There are 5 packets to each carton and each packet costs almost £10 here . We paid around £100 so around a quarter of the cost for that lot I believe. He is on his last packet now . :(
Can't bear it when he has to pay the full price here . We have a few weeks to go before we can get some more . Would sooner he gave up but thats another story .
Bear in mind that you may not be able to get your usual brand in Turkey. I was able to buy mine at the airport in Dalaman but not in Antalya airport. For this reason I usually buy from whichever airport we are flying from in the U.K. :wave:
I'm definately going to look at that too Sharon because twice we have been caught out with no Tobacco in the duty free coming home . Might not have been Turkey , could of been Egypt because we do the same there . :think
Yes it's definitely worth checking at your local airport Lyn. I couldn't buy my cigarettes in Egypt either,they had a very limited choice which surprised me, they had more choice in Macedonia and Bulgaria :think which I certainly wasn't expecting!
We usually get them ok in sharm sharon as they have a larger duty free selection there but Taba was useless .

I remember Bodrum's duty free being quite small but they did have Old holburn or Drum to our surprise .Cant remember which . clearly we did ok at Antayla because we brought back 8 cartons .

We have a weekend trip to Tallinn in Estonia in 3 weeks and although it's EU still hoping to get them cheaper at the airport duty paid . He needs to re-stock.

lyn
Wouldn't have thought Estonia would be too different to Macedonia price wise and they were about a quid for packet of twenty. Can't remember what I paid at airport for the big cartons but they were dirt cheap compared to here but isn't everything?
You have more chance getting through with extra fags if you take the packs out of the sleeves and distribute them about your luggage and your person in bum bags and the like .If they see sleeves they are more apt to believe you are taking them home to sell on. Dont forget all luggage is scanned before entering the terminals in Turkey and they can see exactly what is in your case.
Peter
Yeah but if you're stopped, you're stopped and if you're over, you're over - it's just a risk you take. You either bring back the allowance and don't have a problem if you're stopped or you bring back over the allowance and don't moan if you're stopped and they confiscate all your cigs.

It's a personal choice as to whether or not to take the risk.

JAK xx
Dont forget all luggage is scanned before entering the terminals in Turkey and they can see exactly what is in your case.

Hmm that could be a problem if you have purchased in bulk on the way out . But then would the luggage scanners care what you are taking back home again . surely the limit applies for entry into the uk . There is a limit on what you can buy in the duty free shop in Turkey . As an example when we purchased the 8 cartons last year I needed 2 boarding cards for the guy to get it all through his till .

Bacci isnt as bulky but we always spread it out over all the hand luggage between us . I'm guessing at 50g for each packet and 5 packets to a carton we are really only allowed 1 carton each . Now heres the bit that still confuses me .Is it an allowances per traveller or only an allowance for those aged over 18 . there are 5 of us 3 over 18 , 17 and 14

lyn
Duty free allowances are listed on the HM Revenue & Customs website.

lynwestie wrote:
Is it an allowances per traveller or only an allowance for those aged over 18

It's an allowance per traveller (that's why you need your boarding card when purchasing items at airports). Persons must be aged 17 or over to bring alcohol or tobacco in to the UK.

Darren
Thanks for that Darren . At least I know that 4 of us can bring the tobacco allowance in .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.