Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Had Hep A injections this week & enquired about maleria tablets went to a large well known chemist who were charging £4.31 then went to a large "every little helps " supermarket pharmacy & the same tablets were £1.95 per box so bought them there better to be safe than sorry in my eyes

7 weeks till holiday & cannot wait!
but the nurse did not prescribe any malaria tablets......does anyone that has been before recommend that we take these as slightly unsure

Check the NHS website at Fit for Travel: fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations.aspx - if it recommends you take anti malaria tablets for where you are going then DO SO - it is not worth the risk.
For Dominican Republic it states:
There is a variable risk of malaria across the country, mainly in rural areas with a higher risk in the west, bordering Haiti. There is also a risk in game parks and in the tourist resorts in the east where outbreaks periodically occur. Chloroquine or proguanil is usually recommended.

You can buy Chloroquine or proguanil malaria tablets online safely at this website: doctorfox.co.uk/anti-malaria-tablets - it is the only 1 i have found that is 100% legal and fully registered/regulated with ALL the UK authorities.
Hi guys,

Me and my girlfriend are due to travel to the Dom Rep in just over 5 days. We hadn't even thought about malaria until this afternoon by which point it was too late to visit a chemist!

We have since done a bit of research and found the correct tablets for the country, however it advises to start taking the tablets one week prior to travel. . .we do not have this amount time!

Do you know of any real problems that could be caused by taking them 5 days, rather than 7 days prior to arrival?

Many thanks in advance for any info!
any_other_1,

A couple of days wont hurt.......but make sure you go to the chemist tomorrow and get your tablets and take your first dose tomorrow too...........I presume you are buying Avloclor.

Angie.
Hi Angie,

Thank you for the quick response!

Yes it Avloclor (chloroquine) that we thought we should buying, planning on heading to the chemist at lunch time to get them! My girlfriend was beginning to worry we would be in a bad way for not taking them early enough!
I travel back and forth to the DR frequently and have on one occasion forgotton to take mine 1 week prior to travelling...thinking about it now I think it was 5 days before travelling before I remembered to take my tablets.

Angie.
Ahh I see, you have plenty of experience on the matter then!

By the sounds of things, it isn't the most dangerous area to catch malaria so the 2 days shouldn't count for much... many thanks for the help, it has put our minds at rest!
any_other_1,

Where about are you staying the Dom Rep.....North Coast has not had a case of Malaria in the last 10 years but I have a friend out there at the moment and she says as its been so humid lately the mozzies are out in force but only early morning or at dusk and during the night..........even though she sprays on her Jungle Formula with 50% Deet the little beggers are still biting..........so remember to pack antihistamine cream incase you get bitten to stop the itching.

Angie.
Ugh just rang the doctors and found out we should take Malaria for Dom Rep and we're staying in the Samana peninsula which I thought was Malaria free. Not happy with the potential side effects of the tablets but I guess it's better that than risking a potential fatal disease. :cry
Hi, going to Mexico (Mayan Riviera) in October, do I need to take mossi spray?

Thanks
Hi

Do I need to take Maliria tablets or vaccinations for mexico?
We have just come back from Playa Del Carmen and the mossies were biting with a vengeance. One woman had more than 60 bites.
You wont need Malaria medication however you will need to take sprays / creams / plug in's to prevent getting bitten by mossies.

Take a look at THIS NHS Scotland website for the latest and most up to date medical advice and consult you doctor's surgery.
I take garlic tablets to keep them away and it seems to work so far,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :)
Hi travelling this weekend to Montego Bay Jamiaca will we need mozzie spray?
thanks
annx
hi what about cuba
staying in cayo coco not venturing out anywhere really
we go at xmas
i contacted doctor surgery and was told to fill in form and 2 weeks before we go some one would call us and let us know if we need jabs or tablets or not :que
cajd,

You just need up to date tenanus, polio and hepititus for Cuba.

Darren
As above

Take a look at THIS NHS Scotland website for the latest and most up to date medical advice on what is required for all destinations.
Just a quick question regarding vaccinations. I really do hate injections. Is it really a necessity?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.