Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Topless..
52 Posts
wow
i did not know that you can't go topless in sharm. in Hurghada it is fine in the hotels........no signs.....no one bothers. Not that i did, a woman of my age eh......i try to keep it covered up so not to make people ill !!
I have been going to Sharm at staying in the same hotel for years and on a beach. I go topless all the time, not just me either, you look odd if you don't. I wouldn't personally do it around a pool in the complex, but saying that i never go around the pool. There isn't any signs to suggest no topless sunbathing, and i have asked the hotel i stay in, and they havent a problem with it. To me its each to their own. If it was frowned upon, then i would respect their wishes.

Michelle x
sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
Sorry i forgot to add, that two of my best friends are Muslim( from Sharm and Luxor) and they said there is no law against it. They do say though that out of resort you need to be dressed accordingly :tup
oh well perhaps it is that hotel then...........
certainly had notices up, and the staff as polite and efficient, and lovely as they were just gave the "topless" couples a wide birth, pulled faces, mumbled and, no 1st class waiter service and nicety given, in fact blanked and ignored both at the pool, and at the pool bar as if invisable.............

perhaps this hotel expect their rules to be obeyed and respected.
I always go topless on holidays, but decided not to in Sharm because I don't think their religion really appreciates this. Being 22 with long blonde hair and fairly large boobs for my build also means I got enough attention...!

Each to their own, I just felt they would be a bit put off with it...or I would be getting looks from them :)
To go topless or not is a very emotive issue. Those who want to go topless feel they have the right to and those who don't approve of it feel, in this pc led world of ours, that they should not impinge on those rights. If I am honest, I feel uncomfortable around topless people, and find it extremely disrespectful in a Muslim country. I know of staff in Hurghada who dislike it intensely and judge women who do it unfavourably, but as Michelle wrote there are those who are not bothered by it at all.

Ultimately, I believe it is down to personal choice unless there are 'no topless' signs in which case they should be respected and the hotel should enforce them. However, I do think those who sunbathe topless should be aware that they will be offending some people who are too polite, or in the case of waiting staff not in a position,to say anything....
i agree there.

and would very much think that if the hotel put the NO topless sign around the pool and beach, then it was because they didnt want topless women, for what ever reason, the hotel rules and standards, religion and beliefs whatever.

its a rule for a reason to be respected.
i guess what some others should of approached the offenders and pointed out the sign!!!!!
finding nemo wrote:
i guess what some others should of approached the offenders and pointed out the sign!!!!!
Bearing in mind the number of people who ignore the 'Do Not Feed The Fish' signs (and that is a very serious issue) it's unlikely a sign asking women not to go topless would work.

For what it's worth, I've never gone topless in Egypt and never would, women get enough male attention out there as it is without flaunting their nipples.
Its not my thing either & I wouldn't do it in a Muslim country, although I am not sure of my own logic on that one as presumbably it is also offensive to practicing Christians and those of many other religions.

I'm sure this has been debated on here before, but cant remember if it was said that it was actually illegal by someone like swiss who lives out there. But then he went on to say that in large international hotels like Hiltons, Hyatts, Marriots etc it had become custom and practice, so nobody took much notice.

Still not for me though and I wouldn't want my daughter to do it either, seems impolit to all the young waiters serving drinks to you, shoving your t*** in their face. :oops:
Why anyone wants to go topless in the first place is beyond me!.I am offended by it and if someone strips off beside me I move!
I have seen enough part naked bodies to last me a lifetime in my job as a nurse :yikes
I normally only take my top off on the sun bed, i do not go in the sea or pool with bikini top off, or walk around the beach showing my assets. I do not take my top off if no other person has either. Normally it is just hubby and me that go, but this year its a different cattle of fish, my 19 year old is coming, and my mum and her male friend, who is my age, so i dont know what will happen in 3 weeks time. As i said before i have asked the hotel management, well i know them all in any case now, and looked for signs, if i saw any i would respect their wishes, i go topless because i hate lines all over my body. To me its no more disgusting than men and woman strutting their stuff in a mini thong! But as i said its each to their own, i decide each day what i am going to do.

As for fish Pippy, we have a sign for that, and yes they do still feed them bread each morning :really
Derwentrocker wrote:
To me its no more disgusting than men and woman strutting their stuff in a mini thong!

:rofl :rofl Yes you certainly see some sites out there Michelle or do I mean sights ? :rofl

Doe :sun2
Yes, the question of "topless in Egypt " has been chewed to pieces previously, it won't go away! We all have our own views and opinions , I expressed mine earlier.

Fact is we offend ( some) Muslims by our accepted mode of dress, the food and drinks we consume, homosexuality , pre-marital sex.

I hope the staff at the hotel I stay at are no longer offended, that they can accept our behaviour as not purposefully insulting . I prefer to think the staff are more digusted by drunkeness and gluttony in the dining room than what we wear or don't wear on the beach.
The hotel we were at in 2006 had signs up and a few women were being told to put there tops back on..i go topless if there is others doing the same cos i don`t like "white bits".. in Tunisia in 2006 it was fine to go topless. but for some reason in egypt i don`t do it. we are off in 4 weeks so will maybe see what others are doing on the beach..i only lie on the sunbed with no top on i could never swim or walk around with no top on :yikes ...gravity and all that..

sharon
When topless sunbathing is frowned upon in countries like Turkey and Egypt where it is actually illegal,I have found it is usually older women who go topless and really would be best covered up. :rofl
so should ugly people walk around with a bag on there heads??????

sharon
of course it is all about breed, your upbringing, respect for others and your own pride.

if someone says NO TOPLESS it is because it is a rule they have.........especially if in a muslim country. you should have a respect for them.
if you went round someone's home and they didnt want you to smoke or swear in front of the children you wouldnt just do it - would you?

the MEN DONT OGGLE because they think it "cor" nice, they are looking at you in pure distgust. the fact is it is a a hotel they dont spit at you or throw stones at you, but put a sign up!!!!!!! you will find that you are not getting the VIP treatment and probably ignored most of time at the bar, restaurant and such because you went topless and your husband/partner will be shunned and your holiday not as nice as it could of been???? :whoops

if you walked out on the street with shoulders bared and a boob-tube top and showing your knees and ankles you are likely to get spat at and things thrown at you. i've seen this done to girls/women in the street by muslim men and women!!!! :cry :cry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.