Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Was wondering where to post that news David, glad you've done it. I am due to travel on 19th August. Do you know if there are any contingency plans in place yet by the major tour ops, or do we just have to sit back and wait?

For me it is imperative to get off Lanzarote by that date. I could buy a ticket for a day previous to the proposed walk out...would that mean though I forfeit the ticket I have already bought for 19th, does anyone know?
Hi madsue ... although a ballot has voted in favour of industrial action, no dates have yet been confirmed and so at this stage it is still being regarded as a 'threat' of strike action. Such threats are not uncommon in peak holiday season. However, if strikes do go ahead, 10 days notice must be given. In view of the uncertainty over if or when any strike dates might actually be announced, then it may be pointless to advance your booking by a day or so from the date being speculated at the moment, as travelling within the next 10 days would be the only way to guarantee avoiding the possibility of industrial action. But even without official strike action, Spanish air traffic controllers have been causing disruption in recent weeks by phoning in sick in very large numbers.

David :wave
Latest update: After a 4 hour meeting AENA have offered controllers an annual salary of €200,000 until 2013. This meeting has been postponed until tomorrow, when further discussions are due to take place.

Fingers crossed they get this sorted ASAP.
These pages make interesting reading about Spanish ATC salaries, and why €200,000 may not be as attractive to them as it sounds:

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/spanish-air-traffic-controllers-vote-to-strike/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/03/spain-air-traffic-controllers-strike

Thanks David and littlelegs ........ looks like I will be on tenterhooks for a few days yet then :(
lets hope for all of us this is sorted, especially for the economy
Would it be worth merging this thread over with the one where hippyjak is supplying lots of info on latest developments? Think it's on general holiday forum
Hi CJS1973 ... it seems that the other topic is concentrating on breaking news stories. From following media reports on this situation in recent days, it does appear to me that many of the breaking news snippets are contradictory, sometimes inaccurate and often outdated within minutes, and could perhaps cause unnecessary worry and panic to holidaymakers. It's a bit like the BA/Unite dispute in this country, where breaking news snippets could be contradictory, biased, or perhaps not wholly reflective of the situation, depending on which media group each side is speaking or leaking to. An official press conference or press release often reveals a different and perhaps more accurate story.

Spanish air traffic control strike threat now lifted

August is traditionally 'strike threat' month within Spain's travel/aviation industry, but the threat is rarely ever any more than a negotiating tactic. Whilst no air traffic control strikes had ever been called in this case, talks which were scheduled to take place on Thursday have now been brought forward to this evening, to try and bring clarity and an end to some of the uncertainty, speculation and worry over the threatened strikes. Tonight that threat of industrial action during August thankfully appears to have been lifted, pending further negotiations.

The focus of attention may now switch from Spain to the UK, where August is also 'strike threat' month within the travel/aviation industry. As reported a few weeks ago (see separate topic), the Unite union is due to announce the result of a ballot of its BAA based members on Thursday. If that ballot votes in favour of industrial action, holidaymakers may then face a new threat of strike action during August at BAA owned airports in the UK, while negotiations continue between both sides. However, unless or until 7 days notice is given of any strike dates, it should once again be considered no more than a threat or negotiating tactic.

Thanks David, for the information. Why though in this case is it only necessary to give 7 days notice of striking, and not 10 days?
7 days refers to the required notice of any strike dates in the UK, 10 days refers to the required notice of dates for the action that was previously threatened in Spain.

Tonight USCA have withdrawn their threat of a strike during August, in the hope that AENA will now return to the negotiating table.
Ahh,. thanks David, I had presumed it was the same throughout Europe!!!
Unannounced strike action by Air Traffic Controllers has forced Spanish airspace to close. The government warns it may allow the military to take control of airspace:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11913878

Just what you need after suffering delays from snowfalls now you can't get in the country anyway.... :duh

Van
The military has reportedly now taken control of Spanish airspace. However, airlines are starting to update their websites with warnings of disruption or cancellations. Ryanair for example have already announced significant cancellations for 3 and 4 Dec.

Passengers should continue to monitor airline websites for further info.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.