Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
This is the latest link I can find.....so we just still have to wait and see :( Not liking the sound of this at all.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_29742.shtml
Hi Sue,
I don't think this is anything to worry about, it is just one of the unions who are not getting all of their demands, they probably want china tea cups instead of paper cups :rofl , seriously though from what I was told today, basically the main unions have been granted their requests like full contacts instead of temporary ones and government intervention should anything go wrong when the airports are privatised.
It is now up to the actual workers to decide tomorrow, to me it is not a difficult choice either accept the agreement and keep your job and wages or strike then be fired when the whole of AENA is privatised because the new owners want a reliable workforce who want to work instead of striking, difficult choice :think
I doubt the Spanish government would allow another strike to take place as their economy is based mainly on tourism and the economy of Spain is strained to breaking point already. I would think that there will be a back up solution should the workers vote against the proposals anyway.
On a personal level we are not in as bad a position as some as we depart the day after one strike and come home the day before another, but it is still worrying as we know how much the Spaniards love to strike and love to change things.
Lets all keep our fingers crossed that the workers see sense and vote yes tomorrow, I will certainly be keeping my eye on this one.

Alan
Absolutely Al, I am keeping my eye on this too! I fly from here to Madrid on 1st May, to pick up a flight to Cozumel on 2nd May for a cruise. Flights and hotels already paid for and in place for 1st May which are non-refundable :(
Also keping an eye on this one. we take the Britanny ferry from Plymouth to Santander on 1 May and if AENA strike more passengers on the ferry = longer queues at the bar !

hope all sorted by september when we come back - if not will have to stay as little longer !

Chris
I'm watching this closely too. Although I know that technically the strikes shouldn't affect my flights (as they are on the May 1st and May 3rd), but obviously all manner of 'what ifs' goes through your head.

I'm also really hoping everything gets sorted tomorrow, for everyone's sake :think fingers crossed for everyone...
Let's hope the news is good today, then we can all relax and look forward to our holidays.
Anyone heard anything yet? I read somewhere they were having the vote at 9pm tonight?! (seems a strange time to do it, and rather late, but there we go).
I believe we will only find out tomorrow (Friday) of the outcome, I read somewhere the results will only be known on Friday but I could be wrong as I cannot find the story anywhere.
As soon as I know more I will post here, that is if my internet does not go down like it has all day.

Alan

edit: you are correct Benjamin, the vote was taking place between 9pm and 10pm Spanish time at all airports. I believe Majorca airport voted this afternoon though, not sure about the other Balearic or Canaries airports .
Official now, the strike have now been called off, over 80 % of workers voted yes to the agreement which comes into force tomorrow and lasts until 31 December 2018.

Alan
Wow, great news... cheers all!

Hope everyone has a good one! :sun2 ;)
Yey!! Great news!! Not only for us individuals, but also for tourism as a whole through spain and its islands :tup
http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_29779.shtml
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.