Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Does anyone know if BA are likely to have another flight sale over the Easter time?
Hi everyone,

Need a bit of advice. Looking to book seats on BA 747-400 LHR - MIA 16th May and 9 of us are travelling. As there is a few people in our party we were thinking rows 35, 36, 37 ABC and I just wanted to know if all these seats have windows or if they are any good?

If there are any other seats you think would be suitable for nine people with good views I would appreciate the feedback.
Cheers
Butchart1979
BA strike ballot result announced

British Airways cabin crew have voted to take strike action again.

An overwhelming 83% of the 6,981 Unite members who returned a valid paper in the fourth BA crew ballot to be held in two years said yes to industrial action. Some 10,000 were sent voting papers.

In a statement just released, Unite said the vote reflected the "continued resilience" of BA staff.

General secretary Len McCluskey said: "This vote shows that cabin crew remain determined to win justice. We urge BA's boardroom to see this as a clear message that they must think again about how to regain the trust and confidence of a significant part of their cabin crew operation.
"We continue to be in discussions with the company to find a solution to this long-running dispute."

Unite has yet to announce strike dates.

A terse statement from British Airways issued after the news of the ballot result broke said simply: "This is a time for co-operation, not confrontation. We began talks with Unite earlier this month, and those talks are continuing. We hope they will bring an end to this dispute, which is what the overwhelming majority of our cabin crew want."

With permission from Travelmole
Isn't it just a total shame now that this is such a regular occurance for an airline that was once respected throughout the world. We booked to fly with BA on Boxing Day to LA and do you know, before we booked, the lass at the TA said it was now policy to tell people in advance if thier flight was with BA and that there was a risk of strike action and they could not accept the booking unless they had told the potential passengers first...almost like a disclaimer.

The BA flights to LA are the first part of our round the world tour which ends in NZ and is the only flight we have with them out of the many we take in the holiday....and we nearly refused to take them..except that we have been guaranteed by Qantas that if there is a strike by BA over Christmas, they will fly us to LA at no additional charge. I think this is becuase every other flight on the tour is with them.

A very sad state of affairs when the TA has to go through a disclaimer before they can even book you with BA. Do these people not realise how many people there are on the dole who would walk over hot coals for a job like they are fortunate enough to have? If they carry on and the company ends up going bust then none of the selfish militant little prats will have a job. :banghead:

How can anyone have the confidence to book with this airline when this happens every holiday period. Chuff, Easter, 4 bank holidays..Willie Walsh should sack em all!!!
Willie Walsh should sack em all!!!

Or perhaps the Board of Directors should sack Willie Walsh and appoint a CEO who isn't always spoiling for a fight with the workforce and doesn't adopt such a confrontational approach in his/her dealings with the company's own staff!

Seriously, one of the reasons why I always used to use BA in preference to certain other airlines on regular flights down to London in connection with my work, was that I knew that they treated their staff well compared to others but Willie Walsh seems determined to take them down to the level of the lowest common denominator. At the moment the sleeper train service gets my custom whenever possible because both staff and customers alike seem to be treated with more respect than you can now expect from most airlines.

SM
note, Willie Walsh has been replaced by Keith Williams as CEO of BA and has gone on to be head of the new merged company that includes BA and Iberia.
this long running dispute has been the result of BA taking 1 member of crew of their long haul flights, and making the cabin director/ senior flight attendant help with the service of meals, to help them save money as a result of 2 years of heavy losses. it is not about pay reductions/sackings or any other reason.
the reason the union are so against all this is that the people who now have to work on the service again are all the top bods in the union and those that have the highest number of years service. these people if they are on a full time contract are earning over £50,000.
there are other issues in play as well, in that any strike called may not be protected by legislation and any cabin crew who did go on strike could be sacked without any comeback.
BA have said, and demonstrated the last time the union went out on strike, that they will fly all long haul routes and most of their short haul routes.
i would have no problems booking with BA now, as the effect the strikers will have on flights is minimal, if any.
for more reading, if you are inquisitive enough, have a look here http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew-131/ where you can read all about it from the staff's point of view
BA puts up fuel surcharge

British Airways will increase in its fuel surcharge on longhaul travel by £10 per sector from this Friday ( April 8 ).

This means that World Traveller (economy) flights under nine hours will increase to £85 a sector and flights in excess of nine hours will increase to £98.

World Traveller Plus (premium economy) flights under nine hours will increase to £95 a sector and flights of more than nine hours will increase to £116.50.

Longhaul premium tickets will increase by £20 per sector.

First and Club World flights under nine hours will increase from £105 per sector to £125. On flights of more than nine hours there will be an increase from £125 per sector to £145.

The airline said there will be no increase in the fuel surcharge on domestic and shorthaul flights.

Chief financial officer Nick Swift said: "It's with real regret that we are having to increase our longhaul fuel surcharge.

"As customers will know from the price at the petrol pumps, the cost of fuel has continued to rise significantly over the past three months.

"For us, fuel now represents over one third of our costs and particularly affects our longhaul flights.

"We are very aware of the wider economic pressures on our customers at the moment and we will bear the vast majority of the recent fuel price rise ourselves to keep this increase in surcharge to a minimum."

Cabin crew call off threat of bank holiday strikes

British Airways' cabin crew have lifted the threat of strikes over the Easter and the Royal Wedding bank holidays.

Crew voted in favour of strike action in last month's ballot and Unite had until today to announce details of industrial action.

However, in a joint statement released today, the two parties said they accepted 'this would severely undermine any attempt at a genuine settlement'.

Instead, BA bosses have granted the union a 28-day extension while negotiations between the two sides continue.

Unite's new general secretary Len McClusky and BA's new CEO Keith Williams are "committed to seeking an honourable and fair settlement to the long running dispute", said the statement.

"Both men accept that a lasting peace is essential for the well-being of all cabin crew and for the benefit of British Airways' customers," it added.

The union said any peace deal must include the restoration of staff travel, a binding independent review of disciplinary procedures and measures to address concerns on earnings and lifestyle associated with the established changes in onboard crew numbers and the introduction of "Mixed Fleet".

The statement added: "British Airways and the union have embarked already on a process of co-operation building, assisted by a highly-regarded external company.

"It is hoped that this continuing process will help develop and strengthen trust."

Is it usual that a Multi-city booking costs more than the respective flight prices are individually?

I am currently in the process of planning mine and my fiancees honeymoon.

We would like to go to Las Vegas and also see some of California.

Searching for flights from London - Los Angeles for the dates Tuesday 30th August 2011 returning Tuesday 13th September 2011, I was given a cost of £325 per flight per person.

For the same dates flights to Las Vegas are £346 per flight per person.

However using multi-city to fly London - Los Angeles returning Las Vegas - London the total per person comes to £804.73. As it is £671 for the individual flights it appears to be £133 per person more to book using multi-city.

Is this usual? And if so, why am I paying more?
For the same dates flights to Las Vegas are £346 per flight per person.

In order to do the comparison you need to check the price of single flights FROM Las Vegas to London not to Las Vegas. Single flights between the same two cities can be very different depending on a number of factors, eg the level of departure taxes, if any, that are levied. In other words if the departure tax to leave from Las Vegas is higher than that from London, the single fare will be higher in that direction. So you do need to check that you are comparing prices for the exact same flights (eg day, date and departure etc) in order to compare prices in this way.

SM
BA and Unite find peace at last

Cabin crew union Unite and British Airways have reached an agreement to end the long-running dispute between the two.

Unite met with members this morning and emerged this lunchtime to announce they had agreed the deal on the table from BA.

A formal ballot will now take place with results expected in June. No strike will take place in the meantime, Unite general secretary Len McCluskey has promised.

Said McCluskey: "We always said this dispute could only be settled by negotiation, not by confrontation or litigation.

"We are delighted to have reached an agreement which I believe recognises the rights and dignity of cabin crew as well as the commercial requirements of the company. "This agreement will allow us to go forward in partnership. I am particularly pleased that staff travel concessions will be restored in full with the signing of the agreement."

A spokesman from British Airways added: "We are very pleased the threat of industrial action has been lifted and we have reached a point where we can put this dispute behind us.

"Our agreement with Unite involves acknowledgement by the union that the cost-saving structural changes we have made in cabin crew operations are permanent. We have also agreed changes that will modernise our crew industrial relations and help ensure this kind of dispute cannot occur again."

I am booked for a package holiday with Thomas Cook from Ncl to Ibiza in September and the flight is with BA! I was unable to book seats or any meals. I presume that seats will be allocated at check in, also can anyone tell me if we will be able to buy snacks, gifts etc on board. Thanks for any replies.
You can do online check in 24hrs before your flight. BA don't sell gifts or snacks on their short haul flights but will serve a free drink and usually a snack (often a sandwich).
Standby for stupid question, but..... :really

Do the BA 747 fleet IFE have touchscreens or remote controls? We are off to Vegas in a couple of weeks, and the last flight had touchscreens. I had 9 hours of a kid thumping his telly :cry
Seasider53,

Depending on the flight you're on, it'll be the same aircraft.

Darren
Darren , I guess that means more 9 hours of thumping then? Touchscreens?
Very few kids on the Vegas flight so it may not be such a problem.

luci :wave
Good point Luci, never thought of that. :)

I was a bit worried about my 13 year old in Vegas, but in the end decided it's all part of lifes rich tapestry.

We are off rafting down the Grand Canyon for 7 days!
British Airways settles cabin crew dispute

British Airways and the Unite trade union have ended one of the most rancorous industrial disputes in recent decades after cabin crew at the airline accepted a peace deal.

Following 22 days of walkouts and a £150m hit to BA's balance sheet, both sides have declared an end to nearly two years of hostilities.

Click here for full story

With permission from The Guardian
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.