Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Re: Where to eat
1133 Posts
hiya a couple of questions if anyone can help please, going from manchester to lanzarote soon, with thomson, what type of plane might it be?
also, my dad is dropping us off, but would like to park up, and come into the terminal (2) with us for a coffee, is he allowed if he is not travelling, and are there any coffee shops before security?
thanks in advance
dcoops wrote:
what type of plane might it be?

If you post all your flight details on our dedicated Thomson Airways topic, we'll let you know.

dcoops wrote:
also, my dad is dropping us off, but would like to park up, and come into the terminal (2) with us for a coffee, is he allowed if he is not travelling, and are there any coffee shops before security?

Yes, he's allowed in to the airport. Just use the short stay car park rather than the drop-off zone. Bear in mind, car park charges are very high so it might end up being a very expensive cup of coffee! It's £2.20 for the first 30 minutes, then goes up to £5.70 for the hour from memory. You have the Bollin River and Runway Brasserie before security in T2 (in arrivals, on the left).

Darren
Hi everybody.
We are thinking of going by car in June instead of the train, does anyone have any advice about either jetparks1 ,T1/3 Longstay or meet and greet T1, we are still deciding which to use but if anyone has used any of these I would like to hear what you think of them.
Normally we come back late at night and stay at the premier Inn just down the road but this time we return in the afternoon so are thinking about using the old banger instead.
Thanks
Alan and Dara
we always use APH at manchester, very reasonably priced and cant fault the service, only a 5 min or so ride to the terminal and never had to wait too long for the transfer bus
Thanks lancslass,
We are considering all options, although taxis are out due to the expense, there is no way I will pay eighty quid return plus the parking charges, it's just that due to family working we would have to get a taxi to and from the station, so that means we would be paying nearly the same for the taxi and train as we would to park the car. Aph are £42 so are not the cheapest but still slightly cheaper than the train option, the cheapest seems to be Jetparks at about thirty quid but I do not know anything about them, apart from someone said that there car parks are full of potholes.
We have plenty of time to decide as we only go in June.

Alan
For those that smoke, this is a photo of the air-side smoking area in Terminal 1. It's located upstairs in the departure lounge, to the rear of the food hall. It's perched on top of pier C above gate 22 overlooking Terminal 2 and is actually quite spacious. It's far bigger than the one at Gate 300 in Terminal 2 so think yourselves lucky!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/T1-Smoking.jpg

Darren
Flying DomRep in May.. booked premier inn at the airport with the park and fly deal. Anyone ever done this? just wanting some info about the carpark? getting to the terminal in the morning etc? thanks
Stayed in a different hotel, but on the same "complex" so to speak. There is a large car park, and buses were calling every 10 or so minutes. If you knew where you were going, you could walk to the airport, it's that close.
We stay at the premier inn the night before we fly from Manchester if we are on an early morning flight, although we never go by car, my in laws have on several occasions, they have always said that you leave the car where you park it and its there when you get back, but sometimes they ask you to park it on the freight terminal car park where they have more spaces, then you either go the airport on the hotels shuttle bus or walk it, they only walked the once as it is further than it looks.
Here is the link for the shuttle service, Premier inn is the first calling point so it takes about 20 minutes to get to the terminals.
http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/alldocs/DDFDD308429B49B180257364003E2623/$File/HotelShuttle2010.pdf

Hope this helps and happy holidays

Alan
Thanks Alan that helps alot.

Now i think about it T2 is only minutes away from the premier inn so we may just get some early morning exercise and walk it :)
Hi in July I am flying Monarch (charter) to Sharm El Sheikh, I was just wondering wether or not I would be able to use the self service check in machines like you can do on Monarch Scheduled flights.

Also at the end of this month I am flying to Marrakech with Thomson Airways, can I use their self service check-in machines too? are the boarding cards given out by the machines Manchester Airport's own rubbish ones or are they the ones used by Thomson Airways i.e. the blue ones.

Many Thanks,
Razza923
I'm not sure but I don't think you can use the self service check in for charter flights. I stand to be corrected on that though.
From what I remember, Monarch don't use self check in machines, we use the online check in when we go with Monarch and have always had to use desks 32, 33 or 34 I think, whilst anyone who has not checked in online use the other desks of Monarch.
The last time was October last year and I don't think anything has changed since then and I can't find anything on Monarch's website of any change. You might be able to use self check in if you have no hold luggage, I am sure someone can confirm this.
My apologies if I am wrong.

Alan
  • Edited by BigAl 2011-04-08 19:08:56
I've always checked in online with Monarch scheduled as well.
Hi.
I have just talked with someone at Manchester airport regarding the hotel shuttle service.
The man said this service will cease to operate from next week, all transport between the airport and hotels will have to be made using either the taxi's or by contacting your hotel to find out what if any alternatives are being offered. I have called Premier Inn and they tell a different story, the receptionist said that they have not been informed of any termination of this service and that Manchester airport will still have to provide a service to the hotels as there is a contract between the hotels and the airport. She said that the taxi's are available and are still only allowed to charge £6 each way as this is classed as a standard fare between the taxi's and the airport.
If anyone knows any more about this I will be grateful.

Thanks
Alan
The Marriott used to be on the same shuttle route as the Premier Inn and it says on their website that the shuttle service ends on 17 April and that preferential taxi fares are available. Contact hotel for details.
Thanks, Sunaddict, must just be Premier Inn who know nothing about these changes, had I not contacted the airport to check on an early morning transfer I would not have known anything as there is nothing on Manchester airports website, we will have to wait and see if Premier inn start a transfer service like Travelodge do or if they will just expect customers to make their own way to and from the hotel in taxi's.

Alan
Hi all.
I have just had confirmation from the airport that the hotel bus service will cease on Sunday 17 April at midnight, according to customer relations it is due to ongoing disputes with two of the three hotels served over subsidies from the hotels and over problems with the two hotels and difficult access.
In future it will be the responsibility of the individual hotel to get passengers to and from the airport.
Premier Inn are considering using a service similar to that of the Travelodge next door, but in the mean time customers will have to use the taxi's at £6 per journey, but passenger are going to be advised to ask the driver first.

Alan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.