Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Can i take my £300 camera in hand luggage, will it erase pictures through the scanner ? I know it may not be expensive to some, but i would hate it to get 'lost' if luggage was checked in the USA, also i have never had a digi camera before so not sure. Going to California and LV in a week :D

Thanks

Michelle x
Derwentrocker,

X-ray machines used by security services have no effect whatsoever on digital media.

Darren
Can i take my £300 camera in hand luggage, will it erase pictures through the scanner ? I know it may not be expensive to some, but i would hate it to get 'lost' if luggage was checked in the USA, also i have never had a digi camera before so not sure. Going to California and LV in a week

Michelle
You should NEVER, EVER pack valuable items in your hold luggage. :fly
I know i shouldnt take my camera through as hand luggage, but i am really worried it may go 'walkies' if i leave it in my case if they get checked when we are not there. This happened in Florida, they bust out case open because it was locked, and all my personal belongings were all array. Its the same as my LA tickets (e tickets) for disneyland, i dont know the safest place to put them, so did loads of copies, placing some in my case and my handbag.

Michelle.
I know i shouldnt take my camera through as hand luggage,

Hi Michelle .. not sure if you have misread previous advice, but you should take your camera in hand luggage, not in hold luggage.

David :wave
Am flying out on Monday with Ryanair and have decided to just pay for hold baggage for myself and husband and somehow include 3 year old son's stuff in with ours. Obviously I intend to make use of all hand luggage allowance and thought that I would buy one of these TRUNKI suitcases which is being described online as ideal hand luggage within size guidelines. I am concerned however that the dimensions are H(31) W(21) D(46). The regulations for Ryanair are 55 x 40 x 20.

Obviously 1cm out!

Am I being overly cautious?

Has anyone travelled on Ryanair with one of these children's suitcases?

As it's a hard shell, I won't be able to cram it into the little size checker box :(
Obviously I intend to make use of all hand luggage allowance and thought that I would buy one of these TRUNKI suitcases which is being described online as ideal hand luggage within size guidelines.

Hi Mrs P .. I have no knowledge of that particular item of luggage, but are you aware that in addition to those maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, there is also a maximum weight of 10kgs ? You won't be able to pool your individual hand luggage allowances and exceed that 10kgs limit.

David :wave
hi...last time I flew ryanair was about 2 1/2 yrs ago....we only had 15kgs of hold luggage allowance....but also a 10kgs of hand luggage allowance....so we all took a small trolly case that was exact size...they were just cheapies bought in a sale in one of the discount stores....they were the smallest case in a set of 3....but they were all being sold individually.....take a tape measure and go scout around...take care though as some are a bit heavy for what they are.....tweetie
Warning Ryanair now have a bag size gauge at the loading desk and making people go and pay for larger bags be warned.
I flew with Air France a couple of weeks ago. We took hand luggage only - small cases on wheels, under the dimensions on the AF website.
No problem on the way out to Paris. There were only about 20 people on the flight.
On the return flight (full) we got to the gate and found staff handing out labels to everyone with anything bigger than a handbag. We were told to put these on our hand luggage and when we got to the aircraft steps they took all the bags and put them straight into the hold. They weren't interested that they were smaller than the stipulated size.
I managed to get my money and documents out and kept these with me, and when we landed the bags were brought out and placed by the airport steps for us to collect.
I've never experienced this before. Does it just happen on Air France?
I've never experienced this before. Does it just happen on Air France?

No, it doesn't - it's happened to me a number of times with BA. If the flight is only partly full they tend to take relaxed view but it's full and there's loads of people with the maximum size of handluggage (common on flights heavily used by business passengers) then they do exactly as you describe encountering on Air France. I've never found it a problem - if travelling with handluggage only it still saves the often interminable wait in the baggage reclaim area.

SM
We used one of the Trunki suitcases last year and to be honest, it looks good, but it's really difficult to use. You can only open it by lying it down, it's really difficult for an adult to pull it and it's really cumbersome to carry!! If the airline insist on it going in the measuring cage it won't fit.!!
I would do as Tweetie Pie says and buy a small suitcase of the correct size. Argos also do kiddy size suitcases Ben10, Thomas Tank, Superman etc etc and we found one of these to be excellent - as small as it is, you can get loads in it!

Denny
Hi
I know this has probably been asked a million times.......is it okay to take electrical items in your hand luggage.I intend to take travel iron, hair straightners and hair dryer in the hand luggage, just need confirmation it is okay :tup
Thanks M
margaretcarroll,

It's easier packing them in your suitcase instead of carrying the weight, but if it's to save weight in your suitcase, that's fine.

Darren
Thanks Dazbo5
I thought I could carry the items in my hand luggage, but just needed confirmation.
Yes I am trying to keep the weight down in my case, I always get nervous that my luggage will be over weight at check in.... :really
Silly really as my luggage has never been over the weight and if it came to it I would just pay, just get really nervous about it.
M
margaretcarroll,

get yourself a pair of luggage scales see this thread

wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.