Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Re: Thomas Cook
1042 Posts
i just pre booked mine as well last week, just hope i am on the new system otherwice its £90 down the pan

little legs
If you really do want to ensure you get what you've paid for (rather than getting to the airport, finding out that your booking is one of the ones that isn't on the system and having to ask for your money back) why don't you ring the number provided on the link to make sure?
I rang them today and mine were still on the system... the man i spoke to said he had not heard any thing about the system change and people loosing there seats....
I also checked my seats booked on TCX11 to Montego Bay and they are still on the system. These were booked in February. :tup

I'll check again a few days before we fly to ensure they're still there.
This is the second year running they have annoyed me and this will be the last. Last year we had numerous changes to our holiday in Lindos with flights being changed, hotels not open etc. even though when we got there other TC holidaymakers had been there for a week prior to us.

This year we have had 4 changes to the holiday schedule, flight changes of times at first (which was no bother) but then they changed the days, I'm okay as my company is flexible but my wife's isn't which makes it a pain, she managed to sort it out and I confirmed on the telephone the acceptance of change to which they refunded 5% of the holiday cost, Thomas Cook even though they sent the letter had no record of a change and only when I said they had sent three letters the same day did the penny drop with them as they blamed the tour operator Airtours. They then informed me that we would have to contact the airline direct to amend the "your seat your choice" booking that we paid for seperate. It has taken me over 6 weeks to contact the airline and actually speak with somebody, this has equated to over 50 phone calls, irregardless to what time of day you try you can't get through. For the last three weeks I have listened to a pre-recorded message with a duration of 3 minutes to be then told "all lines are busy please try later" and the call ends. Now to book a holiday with them, no problem when they want the money but to speak with a CS advisor for amendments is a joke. Last Friday I asked 4 other people in the office at 9am to ring the number and we all sat on the phone, the shortest que was number 10 and a wait of 25 minutes so I hung on the line only to be told that they had actually informed the airline and the booking had been amended anyway!. I know that changes in flights occur on a regular basis and we have to live with that but to have to listen to a pre recorded message for 3 minutes to be then cut off when they know the lines are busy to me is like obtaining money by deception. TC 2010?, no chance!!
Yes I agree, I tried to phone to book 'your seat, your choice' and like you, after listening to which different phone numbers you need to ring, if you are going on a cruise or flying to Canada, the advice line for passport problems and even the swine flu, lasting 2 or 3 minutes, you eventually get told ' all our lines are busy - please try later!'
Next day I phoned at 9am, didn't have to wait too long - only to be told computer system was down and I would have to ring back after the 23rd July :banghead:
I did tell customer services that I thought it very unfair to be kept on the phone listening to a prerecorded message when all the phone lines were busy. He said he would make a note of it for his supervisor. Don't for one minute think they will do anything about it - DO YOU?

Denny
To be fair Denny the lady I spoke with was very apologetic and did say that she would pass the feedback on also. But the whole process was a joke. I had even enquired in one of their shops and was told quite abruptly to speak with the call centre as they are a seperate identity, I gather the don't like people taking the direct internet route :rofl
samdoddsred wrote:
To be fair Denny the lady I spoke with was very apologetic and did say that she would pass the feedback on also. But the whole process was a joke. I had even enquired in one of their shops and was told quite abruptly to speak with the call centre as they are a seperate identity, I gather the don't like people taking the direct internet route :rofl

Why would they want to spend their time and help you?

You didnt/couldnt be bothered to book it in your local TC shop and have them match the web price etc, but you expect them to drop at your feet when you need help?!
gr123 wrote:
samdoddsred wrote:

Why would they want to spend their time and help you?

You didnt/couldnt be bothered to book it in your local TC shop and have them match the web price etc, but you expect them to drop at your feet when you need help?!

Must admitt I agree. These people are a business not a charity. They are not the same part of the organisation. I think its a cheek to bother them when you wont pay for their service in the first place.

How many people in this day and age would give their time away for nothing ? We all have a living to make.
gr123 and doepsmc - For your information - ANY extras such as 'your seat your choice' are booked through Thomas Cook Airlines, via the internet or by phone, not Thomas Cook holidays. You are NOT able to book this in the shop regardless of whether you booked the holiday with the shop OR online!

Denny
Ah apologies I didnt realise you had booked in a travel agents. :oops: I seem to be getting mixed up.
too true....getting the internet price and giving them chance to match is great idea....fair competion ect can only be good for everyone....but if you book online its your choice and you need deal with the online system of doing things....the shop staff usually try to help it seems if you go with the right attitude....this is their good nature and a plus for them in my book....

they go the distance to price match...so should be given the chance....you then get more for your money as you get a personal face to face consultation , ongoing support, and a human being to deal with if things do go wrong...for free

I used them for a price match and was well pleased ....and after reading some of the posts from members who have booked online know i did the right thing.....and will be doing so again for next year
TWEETIE PIE

I have to agree with you aswell about going into the TA themselves and seeing if they will match the online price which worked great for me as not only did I get them to match I also haggled for a bit more off and thats something you can't do online,I also feel more happier doing it that way as if you do come across any problems you can just pop into the branch
we went with Thomas Cook this year to Tunisia and after reading some reviews about the airline we were a abit comprehensive, but i am glad to say that everything was perfect for a perfect holiday!
the flight leaving Gatwick left on time and arrived earlier, and the same goes for our outward journey home - we left on time and arrived earlier (:

so i can safely say we will be travelling with them again in the future

xx
Our local TC store is fab they help you with everything :) ive just booked a holiday with them i found it online but it kept charging me extra for things and nobody could tell me what the extra cost was. She also told me that very soon Direct holiday will be no more as it will be total merge with TC as they own DH. I had so much trouble with DH for last holiday i would of never gone back to them even if the holiday was £300 less than a TC one
I went on holiday to Cuba in May 09 with Thomas Cook, a Direct Holidays Booking. It was great. No complaints.
Today I got a new Email invoice for the holiday from Thomas Cooks computer system.
It tells me it's all paid for. No money due.
Which is good - since I went on holiday with them four months ago!!
Think maybe they ought to talk to their computer people!!
:rofl
hi everyone, we have booked for next year with thomas cook via direct holidays, we have added yr seat yr choice, how far in advance can you book your seats, its all very confusing i prefer the old way of pre booking seats :think
You can book 'your seat your choice' as soon as you have a booking ref no. I've never tried that far in advance, so don't know for sure.

Denny
According to my invoice for next year, I can book in on-line and select my seat 7 days before the start of the holiday.

If you cant wait to select your favourite seats, then priority seat selection is available from £6 per person per flight, which in my case is available nearly 4 months before we fly.

This is from my DH invoice which is part of Thomas Cook.

I hope this helps as it's not clear at the time of booking what you are actually paying for.

ED.
we have booked flights for next july and have already booked our seats. Dont do it by the internet for some reason they are dearer, when we picked ours they come out at £268.00 when we phoned they were £180.00 that is for 3 extra leg rooms seats and 2 seats behind.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.