General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
shirley h,

My 28" case is about 3kg 'dry'. Our larger 32" ones are a bit heavily, probably about 4kg dry. It's a trade off isn't it between how secure / strong they are and weight and you often don't realise how much of a percentage the weight of the case is in relation to the overall weight of the luggage. If you have a 15kg limit, it can be as much as 25-35% of your allowance!

Darren
They weigh 5.2kgs when empty.

In these days of reduced luggage allowances the weight of the case is more important than ever.

Add in all the various bits and pieces and lotions you take and there is not much room for clothes.

fwh
Mine are Carlton hard-bodied cases and weigh 5-6kgs empty. They are 15 years old and still in good nick apart from a few scuff marks.

I did look online at new cases thinking they may be lighter, but the stated weight was still over 5kgs.

I did toy with the polypropylene cases a couple of years ago, but they didn't seem that much lighter and definitely not as strong as the ones we have.

luci :wave
our cheap 27" cases are around 4.5 kg but when they need replacing i will get the soft bags with wheels at under 3kg

wiz
I am very tempted to just buy a large holdall and have done with it.
The only thing that;s putting me off is the clothes all crumpling up
in it - they'll probably need ironing again, and I don't normally *do*
ironing on hols.
neither do i.. know anyone from the servises who can teach you how to roll and pack?????
I always roll my stuff up now, even in my case.
Do you think they would be ok like that in a holdall?
(Seriously considering buying one/some.)
Thanks for your replies guys. It's a bit late to worry about it now as I've already bought them :rofl
Must check my allowance. I know it's at least 20kgs. I'm hoping ti's 25 :D
Where are you off to Shirley?

(European flights are usually 20kg max. :( )
this yer [will chang next no doubt]

thomson hold 20kg hand 5 kg unless a sunbreaker or last min deal]
thos cook hold 15kg hand 5 kg

others check the ticket
also watch the weight they put on the suitcases when you buy them my mum bought some and they weighed a lot more than it said. She had to take them back like you say it is a big percentage of your total weght allowance. Carol
i have a 26inch one, and it weighs 3.5kg

i was going to take my 30inch case but its far too big for me as we arent taking any kids this year ..
Milly_Molly wrote:
I am very tempted to just buy a large holdall and have done with it. The only thing that;s putting me off is the clothes all crumpling up in it - they'll probably need ironing again, and I don't normally *do* ironing on hols.

I got some of those giant £10 wheeled holdalls from Argos a couple of years ago. They're lighter than suitcases and you can stuff loads in them!
As for creasing - I pack everything on hangers and when we arrive I pull it all out, give it a quick shake and hang it all up - I find the heat and humidity does the rest and I've never needed to iron anything.
Cyberspacecadet, how do you find the Argos holdalls stand up to being 'thrown around'?I've been looking at the holdalls for ages but worried that the cheaper ones would fall apart and it would be false economy. Saw some in Tesco at half price, but the way the zip was designed I could easily see it being caught, the bag opening and the contents ending up goodness knows where.

Pam :)
HI,
Milly_Molly,
I'm going to Crete. We booked through the Thomson website but our flights will be operated by Euro Cypria. Thomson state that Thomsonfly allowance is 25 kg (hand and hold combined) in any combination as long as the hand weight doesn't exceed 10kgs. No one case must exceed 32 kgs. However, the eurocypria website states that max hand baggage weight is 5kgs and hold is NORMALLY20kgs but tickets must be checked as sometimes this can be lower or higher. I think I'd best wait until the tickets arrive to see what they say. At least it's not 15kgs - Don't know how I'd manage :duh
Sorry, just realised the threads going a bit :offtop . Let's try and keep it about the weight of empty suitcases.
The wheeled holdall is the way to go.
I`m ex royal navy and I`ve humping holdalls around the world all my life.
Just roll your gear up and you`ll get tons of gear in, mine never come out creased.
The carlton hard cases are heavy empty BUT no worries if you land in a thunderstorm and cases are left on the baggage handlers trolley outside , this happened to me in Palma last year. All my clothes dry and those with holdalls were drying their gear with hairdryers. CBG
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.