General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
No of course it is not in the interests of the airlines to have delays but it does often seem to be in their interests to consolidate or cancel flights which are not full and then try to evade their responsibilities to compensate passsengers who are at the receiving end of the results.

honeyrose
Merged with existing insurance topic.

Mark :)
Can anyone recommend a travel insurer that will do new for old cover?
hi, been looking at travel insurances. We havent got any yet and are off to Benidorm on 5th july, My mother in law says we should have insurance from the day we pay for our holiday. We've paid all of ours (a few months ago) and not got any insurance yet. Looking at single trip insurance for a family of 3 (2 adults and a 6 year old) but should I start it from today until the end of the holiday or just start it from the day we depart? The longer you need it for the more expensive it is but what happens if it gets cancelled before we leave and the policy hasnt started?

And as i paid for our holiday a few months ago some travel companies say its too long for a single trip so i cant start it from when i paid it :think Im gettint really confused here! Also, got no idea whats the best one, primary insurance is coming up cheapest from moneysupermarket but gets bad reviews. Grrrrr i hate this! :cry
bev26 ... so that you are covered for all eventualities, including cancellation, you should buy travel insurance at the same time as booking your holiday, not necessarily from the same company. The period of cover is the duration of your holiday, so buy the policy for your specific holiday dates, but cancellation cover is effective from the date of purchase. Try the recommended insurers on page 1 of this topic for online quotes.

David :wave
firstly NEVER book a holiday without first having insurance or buying it at the same time from the TO. [ if they go bust before you have your insurance you are s*****d and will loose everything

secondly. With insurance like most products you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR check the small print for exclusions

thirdly GET IT SORTED quickly

wizard
You should have travel insurance from the moment you book the holiday and pay your deposit, no matter how long before the holiday that is. Should a situation arise that causes you to cancel, such as an illness or injury, you will not be covered unless you have insurance in place.

Check out Page 1 of this topic for recommendations from members.

luci :wave
Typical .. you wait ages for a Mod, and then 3 come along at the one time !! :lol:
firstly NEVER book a holiday without first having insurance or buying it at the same time from the TO. [ if they go bust before you have your insurance you are s*****d and will loose everything

Hopefully you will have booked through a company with ABTA or ATOL bonding, which provides protection in such circumstances, quite separate from your holiday insurance.

David :wave
just shows we think of our members.. and all sing from the same hymn sheet [al be it out of key :rofl ]
Right travel insurance is done, thanks for the stern words! TopDog is who i opted for £13.65 for my family to be insured! Thanks for the advice.
hi,im looking to book my travel insurance to the u.s.a with swiftcover as the also provide sheduled airline failure cover...was reading through terms and conditions and of course what they wont pay for ..and i found this in accordance to the airline failure cover ..not quite sure what it means..could anyone explain
"Any flight that is not booked through a travel company who provides a bond for you in the event of the travel company's financial failure, or direct with a scheduled airline" this is wont they wont cover ..maybe im a bit thick but im not sure what it means
I would try and find some reviews of Swiftcover on the internet before you decide to go with them. I almost used them for car insurance until I read the reviews which were horrendous.

A broker may be able to arrange insurance which covers scheduled airline failure.

luci :wave
Hi , I may have to cancel a trip I have booked for July as my Mum is quite seriously ill at present, I am holding on for now as she is due to have an operation really soon and if it goes well I may still be able to travel.
The problem is with her heart and she became ill in April, I had taken out insurance before this so I am covered for cancellation, but I suddenly thought tonight that my Mum has a heart murmour (which I amthinking may be connected to the problem she now has) but I am wondering that if the insurance company got wind of this thay may not pay out, which is unfair as I was genuinely not aware of it, any views on this? Thanks, Shirley
I have booked a holiday for next year, and without looking at the small print in the insurance policy , would i be covered for any events that might come up . The insurance is connected to the mortgage , which we have home owners plus, the mortgage expires next year but not until after the hols ?
You need to check that your insurance covers holiday insurance - it isn't standard with most home insurance although they often have cover for items 'away from home', but not for medical cover, cancellation etc, which is the biggie. If this is a freebie with your home/contents cover then you will be fine but I'm getting the impression that you feel that your home insurance covers holidays as well?
we have holiday/travel insurance connected to the mortgage, we are covered for repatriation also. All the family that actually reside at home are covered , we dont have to travel as a family either, so each time one of the children go away with the school or friends they are covered.
Sorry Shirley, I have no idea...but I hope your Mum is ok and soon recovered.
(Here's some flowers for your Mum :thanks )

People, check your bank accounts.

Some offer free travel insurance for you and your spouse and will cover your children for what they call a "nominal charge." (Although my banks "nominal charge" was ludicrous soI purchased my childrens insurance elsewhere.)
my bank offers free travel insurance...I BUY travel insurance as the cover and small print on the bank ones isn't worth the paper it's written on...

wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.