General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Linen clothes
11 Posts
My only obvious advice is to take an iron Helen :rofl

However, I have heard of folk "Roll" their clothes instead of folding?
Yes I believe many people do that rolling trick Helen . Can't really see how it would help a linen shirt though but I'm thinking of trying that this year when I do my packing .
A work's colleague takes a spray bottle with her to give the linen a squirt of water before hanging it up in the bathroom. She says the steam works a treat on it and makes most of the creases just fall out. I suppose it's worth a try.
Knowing my luck, the clothes would end up soaking, but i might try it here before I go. Perhaps the rolling would work for trousers - but wouldn't they have lines all across them from where the roll flattens when more clothes are put on top of them ( if you understand what I mean) :D Don't think it would work for shirts & skirts though!
I was watching Peter and Katie stateside the other evening and there was a scene with her sitting on the floor packing her clothes in cases . She was rolling everything :tup
Helen T wrote:
wouldn't they have lines all across them from where the roll flattens when more clothes are put on top of them ( if you understand what I mean)

You roll them tight so that there is no give in them, it really does work in terms of preventing creases and it doesn't take up as much space so you need a smaller bag/case.... if only it also made things weigh less too !
i have this problem too, hubby loves his linen shirts, think i will try rolling them or i might just take my iron if ive got room in the case ;)
Hi Helen

What I used to do for my linen trousers is leave packing of them until the last minute, and leave them slightly damp by spraying them with water so damp to touch then rolling them and putting inside a bag that you can suck out the air from, large ones can be done by Vaccuum, smaller ones which I use can be done by rolling and pushes the air through. ( I have seen these bags in Dunelm Mill shop - I did buy mine from QVC - but think you can get them anywhere)

I am not saying there are no creases, but it is minimal. :tup
I think you said you only have 15/20 kilo allowance, Helen so is it worth taking clothes that you might not be able to wear due to creasing? I have taken tops before and not worn them because of this so now I only take clothes that I know will come out of the suitcase OK. Linen is hard enough to steam iron at home - I think it would be difficult in your luxury hotel room, with lovely views of the pool and your OH providing you with wonderful cocktails while you are getting hot and bothered ironing his shirts! (and Shirley is waiting for you to go swimming!) Not long to go now!
P.S. Another thought - linen creases as soon as you wear it anyway, doesn't it?
:rofl :rofl
Linen is hard enough to steam iron at home - I think it would be difficult in your luxury hotel room, with lovely views of the pool and your OH providing you with wonderful cocktails while you are getting hot and bothered ironing his shirts! (and Shirley is waiting for you to go swimming!)

Hadn't thought about that Suzie!! Just looked at the hotel details again & there is an iron (if its absolutely necessary). We went away for a night on Saturday & I did roll my trousers. They came out of the holdall perfect, not a crease in sight - pity I couldn't say the same at the end of the night :D Admittedly they'd only been in the holdall for a couple of hours & there was hardly any weight on top of them, but I think I'll give it a go. Might also take one of those mini spray bottles. Thanks for the tips folks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.