General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
When my children were small I always found that this was the best time to fly!

I could leave the kids in bed asleep until the last possible minute (car packed, everything) then wake them up, get them dressed and straight into the car and off.

Sometimes they'd doze off again or if they were too excited, they'd be in a good mood anyway. We'd have breakfast at the airport and my daughter always slept on the plane.

You don't say how old your children are but if you have a baby, don't even bother to dress them until you get to the Airport. You'll see lots of tots in pyjama's at that time.

Honestly don't worry, it won't be as bad as you think!
I did something similar. I even sometimes put them to bed in the clothes they were going to travel in - say shorts, Tshirt, socks etc, waited until the last moment and then carried them down to the car put them in their car seats and away. If its a bit chilly you can always pop a jacket or something similar over them and put their trainers on. Sometimes they hardly stirred and didn't wake up until we were at the airport, othertimes they gradually woke up during the journey, just remember to have a snack and drink in the car in case they need something. It will be fine, most kids think its an adventure. :D
Hi Mainy

You may find THIS TOPIC useful for the flight itself.

Pippy :D
Hi
we did it last year - 5.45am flight. (kids aged 13, 7 and 4)
We opted to stay in a hotel close to the airport the night before, but still we had to be up by 2.30am to get to the airport for 3.00.
I was no problem at all.
The kids were very excited and no bother at all.
I'm not saying it would have been the same story had we driven to the airport straight from home though.

Good Luck!!
I'm guessing you're talking about infants or a baby as I think any kid over 3 will be so excited anyway that when you wake them up they'll be loving it!
I agree, get everything done, ie car loaded etc, then wake them and get them dressed, but not too excited, as there may be a chance they can fall asleep in the car again!!

Once you get to the airport, give them breakfast once you are through passport control, by which time you should have only another hour? to wait, so go and buy your last minute bits and pieces, or there is a very small soft play area at Gatwick they can bounce around on.

If you make them up a small ruck sack, with loads of pockets in it, and hide some new things in each pocket, ie, small colouring book & pencils, a new game boy game, a story book, some jelly sweets, a portable story book tape, magazine...........

Even if they still get bored they can swap and look at each others!!!

Dont forget you may get a meal onboard and possibly inflight tv.

Just dont forget, they may want/need an early night/afternoon nap on arrival!!!!
I remember going on holiday to Spain when I was about 4 or 5. The flight wasn't until the evening, but I woke up naturally at like 4am, then woke everyone else up to nag them to get to the airport! That was like 15 years ago, but i can remember it as clear as anything!

Whenever we take my oldest brother, his wife and kids (now 14 and 8 ) to the airport, the kids are fine, my brother takes a lot of holidays, but when the 8 year old was little, my youngest brother would get there to take the, and the little one, who's useless of a morning, was a little groggy for the first 5 minutes or so, but then he was fine! The 14 year old, well, she's always a great kid!

Chances are, they'll sleep in the car, then, wake them up at the airport, they might catch an hour on the flight, then it'll work out with them having a decent nights sleep afterall!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.