Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
How about these
http://www.hk.com.pl/
They are in the Jewish quarter about 10 mins walk from centre/old town.

You can book either of them through http://www.staypoland.com at resonable rates.
hi any one know this hotel we have booked for January for 3 days never stayed in Poland before cant wait even though i expect it will be very cold i am looking forward to it any tips would be most helpful and greatly welcome . thankyou .

paty
Hi Paty

Have a look at Trip Advisor some good reports about the hotel on there.

Have fun

Polly
hi polly thank you for your reply i will take a look .
We are off to Krakow again on 23rd February, going for 5 nights this time and are going with 4 friends who have not been before, more time for exploring this time. We are staying at the Matejko Hotel which I believe is near to the railway station - hope it snows, we are going to a bit more research before we go this time.

Polly
Hello. I usually post on the Gran Canaria forum as we are regular visitors there!
Just booked a 4 day trip to stay in Krakow. We got very cheap flights with Jet2.com from Leeds. £57 pp return, with day flights!
Booked BB La Fontaine which is on the Main Square. Looks nice and good reviews
What is the weather like in June please? Should we take PLN rather than Euro's?
Thanks in advance
Tonya
Sorry I can't help with the weather as we went in the winter. We took zlotys and found the conversion easy. If you're on the main square your in a fab location!
I've just booked our first trip to Krakow for the end of May for 3 nights,staying at Andel's hotel, I booked it as a package with easyjet,it's worth looking on their holidays site as there were a few good prices. Maggie
Hi all .

We are off to Krakow next weekend and Im trying to plan how we get to Auschwitz and hoping for some advice .

these are the options that I know about at the moment

train /bus. - dont fancy that

mini bus from Krakow centre - sounds good but read somewhere it didnt operate in the winter :think

taxi - will take you, wait , then bring you back . but have heard varying costs involved. ranging from about £40-£80

book a tour - this would probably be our easiest option but not keen to do a "guided" tour and would prefer to walk round ourselves . again have read somewhere that you can book a tour from krakow where they just take you and pick you up later without the restriction of a guide . that sounds good to me . has anyone done that , that could help me .

Is there anyone that has been to krakow in the winter that could point me in the direction of the quickest and easiest way to do it. will probably go on our 2nd day and aim to be there for the english film showing first at 11am.
Hi I am also off to Krakow for the first time but not until May,and I have found tripadvisor very useful,lots of info on there from people who have been and done the tour of Auschwitz. Maggie
thanks Maggie . I have been on the T/a forums and thats where I have picked some of that info from . just trying to narrow it down now and try and pick what is going to suit best.

lyn
Just come back from a brilliant weekend in Krakow.we were really lucky with the weather and 2 days we had brilliant sunshine . Stayed at the hotel Kazimierz in the jewish district but only a 10 minute walk to the market square. Excellent value for money , Basic but a big room, very clean , and a fab breakfast. all for £92 for 3 nights ;) . We found Krakow fairly similar to prague . maybe not as beautiful in places but plenty of charm, great resturants, bars etc and the people really friendly and polite. I would say that in 1 day you would cover most of what was on offer sightseeing wise in the old quarter unless you are a big fan of churches in which case they alone would comfortably last you another 2 days. Our 2nd day we spent at Aucshwitz. I booked a private taxi for £50 with http://www.krakowadvisor.com who were excellent and for that we were collected from our hotel at 9am , driven in comfort for the hours journey, the friendly driver then waited for us for as long as we wanted then drove us over to birkenhau camp and again waited for us . He dropped us off over the back at birkenhau which gave us the opportunity to wander around the more harrowing areas over the back in the woods . . we didnt find the day depressing as we thought we might . More interesting but surreal. Our last day we spent at the salt mines which again was an excellent morning out . got the salt mines own bus from outside the Hotel royal. we also used krakow advisor for our airport transfers both ways. On time both ways and again excellent service and the cheapest we were quoted for both auschwitz and airport transfer.

lyn
Glad you enjoyed Lyn. We thought it was well worth a visit. I'm glad you managed to do the trips.
Glad you enjoyed it Lynn.
I'll make a note of that hotel as you're not the first I've heard mention it. We are doing Paris for our city break this year but will be doing Krakow next year. Thanks for the honest advice that you really only need a day of sightseeing in Krakow itself (we spent too long in Prague). Based on that, I think I'll aim for 3 full days as we want to see the city, Auschwitz, Salt Mines and also visit a gun range.
HI pd :D . yes 3 full days days would be good . and dont forget you will still have the evenings for wandering around the old square too ;) . although if you wanted to stay longer I think you would find plenty outside of the city to keep you busy . the taxi driver who took us said they take a lot of people to Zakopane and there is also a national park with a couple of castles that also sounded interesting if you like that type of thing . we did go to the old ghetto but thought that was a bit of a waste of time as Schindlers Factory was closed for renovations and the Jewish area basically has a couple of synagogues but the square has a lovely atmoshere so a nice place to have a drink or get something to eat. Not sure what time of year your thinking of going but we were told the old sqaure really comes into life in the spring and I can image the planty which is a a piece of green belt completely ringing the centre with benches that replaced the old city walls would be really pretty for a stroll. it was lovely in the winter too ;) . A tip for the castle area .you need to buy tickets for the individual areas which are the armoury, state rooms and royal apartments . they only sell so many a day and you need to purchase them from the ticket office as you enter the castle area. so if you want to see them make sure you get them early in the day or prebook them . we arrived early on the sunday and couldnt get tickets for the royal apartments and by 12 all the tickets for the armoury were gone. we went in the armoury (bit boring ) and the state rooms ( worth a visit)

lyn
Thanks Lynn, that's helpful. We usually do our city break in April/May time so the square should be lovely then.
Hi Lyn, Glad you had a good trip,we are going for 4 days end of May,will most probably use the company you reccomended,did you book it using the site,if so did you pay upfront or when you got there.Also can you reccomend any nice restaurants or eating places.Thanks in advance Maggie
hi maggie . Yes originally I filled in their online request form but I did a normal email as well as im never sure if those form things get through. I believe those prices on their site are for a tour .not sure. :think they were very prompt with a reply and gave me an excellent price right from the off .No nothing to pay upfront . we paid at the end of each trip.they will take you anywhere you want to go . another guy I had recommended via TA is this chap http://www.bobtaxi.com.pl/
Also very prompt with a reply but his price was not as good as krakowadvisor but he emailed me 2 days later reducing his price.so if you do like the sound of what he offers wait for the price to drop quite substantially. although I believe he actually takes you around Auschwitz which is not what we wanted. but he does appear to offer a personal service at a good price. We wanted to do it alone and you can tag on or hear other tour guides anyway.
We had already booked krakowadvisor at that point so it was his loss for giving us a high price to start and im glad we did as the service was excellent . We had a youngest chap take us on our trip to Auschwitz . he was really lovely and chated about this life in poland and his girlfriend . It was a very pleasant journey ;) and he again took us back to the airport on our return.

all the resturants we ate at were around the market square area . Im afraid I never really took too much notice of the names but we never had a bad meal. prices we found similar wherever we looked including the Jewish area . you can eat very cheaply if you go for pasta/pizza or maybe polish but steak type meals were more expensive although compared to our prices still cheap.
Hiya All..........

I am going to Krakow at the end of March with my girlfriend & was just wondering if anyone has been there lately & can give me any tips / advice on the best bars / restaurants to visit.......

I am staying in an hotel close to the Wawel castle which I believe is fairly close to the old town.

Any idea how much beers or a decent meal will cost etc....

I will also be doing the tourist things like salt mines, galleries etc
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.