Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Moved to flights section.

MarkJ HT Mod
caroled,

Mobile phones MUST be switched off when instructed to do so by cabin crew. This is normally when the doors are being closed. Flight safe modes or offline, whatever the phone manufacturer calls it are not permitted so you won't be able to listen to your music I'm afraid.

I've been in discussion with pilots who've had passengers with mobiles switched on while inflight, deliberate or by mistake and its scary at what they have reported.

Darren
Oh no! :(

I've got the Sony Ericsson W810i and one of the reasons I chose it was because of it's in-flight music only mode! Is that a definite Dazbo? It can't be used in that mode?
100% definate I'm afraid. Some airlines are in talks with various phone manufactures and service providers regarding installation of systems on board aircraft to allow mobile phone use (essentially low power receiver stations to connect to ground receiver stations to minimise aircraft interferance), but its a way off their installation from what I've seen. Airlines such at Ryanair, Air France, Emirates and many American airlines are looking in to it. It won't be cheap though.

If you listen carefully to the safety demonstrations, many airlines will stipulate 'mobile phones must be switched off including phones with flight safe modes'. Part of the problem is cabin crew don't know if a phone has 'flight safe' or not and you can't always rely on passengers being honest when asked. Although the risk to aircraft systems is still not proven, the precautionary principle is taken so no phones inflight I'm afraid.

Darren
Thanks Dazbo :tup

I'll have to steal my old MP3 player from my daughter for the flight then!
on the subject of electronic items on board the plane, could I take my portable DVD player so long as I don't watch it during take off or landing?
Thanks Daz , would rather be safe than sorry !

Might have to treat myself to a cheap mp3 player as I'll need something to take my mind off a 10 hour flight :roll:
Leanne,

on the subject of electronic items on board the plane, could I take my portable DVD player so long as I don't watch it during take off or landing?

Yes, thats fine. You can use electronic devices (apart from mobile phones, transmitting devices etc), apart from at take off / landing where they should be safety stowed away or whenever the seat belts signs are illuminated, eg expected turbulance.

Darren
cool cheers Darren!
Hi, I was on a trip to Belfast with Easyjet (airbus) recently, and during the usual safety announcements they stated that mobiles should be switched off or put into 'aircraft mode'. I didn't even know there was such a mode, and as it happens, my phone has it. Hope this helps

Mark 8)
Airbus have been doing some work recently with regards equiping aircraft for the use of mobile phone. More information here.

Darren
What is the reason we cant play mp3 players on take off

Can understand why with phones
joeseptuk,

What is the reason we cant play mp3 players on take off

Three main reasons:

Firstly, it takes your attention away from your suroundings.

Secondly, if the aircraft has a problem during take off or landing and the cabin crew have to shout 'brace, brace, brace' or other instructions in the event of an emergency, you won't be able to hear it.

Thirdly, if the aircraft has a rejected take off and the brakes are applied fully (and believe me, they are way more powerful than your standard car brakes), the mp3 player or anything which is unrestrained for that matter becomes a projectile. The aircraft can be doing 140+ mph at take off so you wouldn't want that flying down the isle and hitting someone in the back of the head.

All safety procedures are there for a good reason and not to incovenience passengers. Please follow them.

Darren
Three main reasons:

Firstly, it takes your attention away from your suroundings.

Secondly, if the aircraft has a problem during take off or landing and the cabin crew have to shout 'brace, brace, brace' or other instructions in the event of an emergency, you won't be able to hear it.

Thirdly, if the aircraft has a rejected take off and the brakes are applied fully (and believe me, they are way more powerful than your standard car brakes), the mp3 player or anything which is unrestrained for that matter becomes a projectile. The aircraft can be doing 140+ mph at take off so you wouldn't want that flying down the isle and hitting someone in the back of the head.

All safety procedures are there for a good reason and not to incovenience passengers. Please follow them.

I always thought it had something to do with interference with electical parts of the cock pit

thanks for the information
joeseptuk,

I always thought it had something to do with interference with electical parts of the cock pit

It all depends on the device in question but its often a combination of the two. When you are seated in the aircraft, you are never more than a foot or two away from wires which can control critical aircraft systems, especially in modern fly-by-wire aircraft.

Darren
My OH has a Motorola Razr which has the aircraft mode. He switched his phone to that setting last month when we flew to Croatia and back. :yikes I'll tell him about this post though, and make sure he switches his phone off completely the next time we fly.
Tishtosh,

This will probably sound contradictory now, but listen to what the safety announcement says. Some airlines do allow flight safe mode, such as Easyjet as in mercdriver's post. However, the vast majority and especially charter airlines require them to be completely off. Personally, I always switch my phone off before boarding the aircraft regardless of flight safe or not. Aircraft are probably one of the last public places you can sit without the constant sound of phones going off. For now at least.

Darren
this has just happened to me i thought that i could use flight mode, and as soon as i did i got told to turn it off ???? i thought that what it was for? but darren has explained it to me i think i would rather hear a emergency instruction than safri duo....
I have also heard that the flight safe mode option as not been approved by the CAA, therefore, until it has, airlines must insist that phones are always switched off.
I don't know if this is true or not - can anyone confirm?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.