Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I have been to olu deniz 3 times and once to Icmeler when we thought we would try somewhere else . Cant comment on side though.Personally we much prefer olu deniz although we are a family of 5 with teenagers and we usually go A/I. Olu is much more scenic and more laid back and a smaller resort but there are still plenty of bars/resturants/excursions to choose from.If your going to be eating out you will find a bigger choice in Icmeler and the resturants/bars have plenty going on in a relaxed family way but we just found the resort too much for us and the hassle much more intense than in olu and generally a much larger resort than we thought it was going to be :( . I would even go so far as saying that for us it was a bit of a letdown. sorry icmeler fans
:oops:
so for us our heart lies in Olu deniz.
lyn
Icmeler for me, and why, It's Bigger, Friendlier, Cheaper for food and Drink, And everything's close, The worst thing abot Icmeler is it's shingle beach, But most people hire sunbeds anyway.
i have to agree with lyn ive been to icmeler & olu deniz loads of times and side once , in my opinion side was the worst and most expensive as it caters mainly for germans and shops ,restaurants etc admitted to us they put their prices up due to so many german visitors. i prefer olu deniz over icmeler as its much more scenic, but i do still like icmeler, it really depends what you re looking for as everyones opinions are different, i like the quieter more scenic places. have a read up on the resort reports
I have been to Side,Olu and Icmeler. Olu and Icmeler to me are both really nice, both have their strengths and weaknesses. This year we had a week at Olu then later on a week at Icmeler, the same next year. Just depends what you want. I think they are good family resorts but not banging like Gumbet or Marmaris. :D
Olu
Thank you I think I will opt for Olu Deniz and then maybe visit Icemeler another time. Thank you for your assistance.
No probs, and have a lovely time. Just a warning, (joke) watch the paragliders as they land on the beach at Olu. A truly awesome sight as they weave their way down from the mountains and always seem to land on the right spot. You will enjoy yourselves Im sure. Happy days :lol: :lol:
We know we will get hassle but the less the better,

What sort of hassle, I was in Olu in May and going back in 3 weeks and I never had or saw and hassle. My friends went 5 times last year (setting up their new villa) and have been 3 so far this years and they're never mentioned and hassle.
I have stayed in the centre of Side, and loved it. The old town is really characterful, with ruins strewn about everywhere. The beach is long and sandy (it was also the one place I didn't get bitten by even one mosquito!).

The evening shopping/eating experience is a bit of hassle, but a polite "no" deals with that. I had some fantastic meals there, and there is a lovely restaurant situated amongst ancient ruins - very atmospheric. A great choice of bars and restaurants is available.

In terms of trips/things to do, there are some lovely waterfalls at Manavgat, and Perge (the largest ancient ruins in Turkey) and the Aspendos amphitheatre are well worth a day visit. Aspendos casts shadows over the Colisieum in Rome, it's in fantastic condition
http://www.about-turkey.com/tourism/perge.htm

I did stay another time in a hotel outside the centre, and much preferred being in the hub of things. There are some pictures that really capture highlights of Side here
http://www.ourplaceinturkey.co.uk/side2.htm
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.