Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
We checked in at LPL airport at 4.00am and there wasn't much open as I remember. The lounge area is plenty big enough to find a quiet spot for a snooze. If you are checking in at 4.00 am, I assume your flight will be at least at 6.00am, would it not be worth a cheap hotel for the night?

Cheers

Mark 8)
I don't think there are any cheap hotels close to the airport .... there's the Marriott and that charges an arm and a leg and ..... I think that's the only one! Sorry TM!
Without announcing it Liverpool Airport has made the departure lounge NO SMOKING from this W/E 18th Aug.Crazy,,,people being taken BACK through security to sit in Wetherspoons for a smoke on landside,then being checked back through security when they hear flight announced.
Others staying landside after check-in + going to security at last minute.
This when people being urged to turn up early for flights.
Coudn't they have waited for Government Regulations to kick in then ALL of airport would be no-smoking.
Possibly the fact that JL airport is privately owned is why they didn't have to wait for any Government directive. I know I'll be unpopular, but I'll be glad to wait in a smoke-free environment ... now if they could do something about cleaning the place up a bit ................... (as in the area around the airside cafe)
Just a quick note, Holiday Inn Express is building a hotel very close to the airport opening October I would highly recommend this especially if they do park and fly

Gail

PS looking at the previous post Wetherspoons is going to be a popular place.
We booked a cheap flight to Granada and pre booked parking at Liverpool Airport paying £28 on line. On leaving the car park last night, my husband put his credit card into the exit ticket machine and it was debited with an additional £85 - YES EIGHTY FIVE POUNDS It appears the car park has been "re arranged" and the area we have always parked in, the last time was in September is now the Short Stay and not the Long Stay Car Park. We obviously did not see the notice displayed which states this. We have therefore paid ONE HUNDRED & THIRTEEN POUNDS to park Wednesday - Sunday.
I wonder how many people have been duped this way, buy a cheap flight for £2.49 and be charged £113 to park
Tricia,

Don't worry same thing happened to me and parner he mistakenly pressesd for a ticked instead of puting his card in the machine upon entry, making him put the card back in for departure. so effectively it seemed we ended up paying twice i called them up expalined the situationn and told i would be sent a cheque within 2 weeks, I was then called 2 days later for them to say that the second transaction did not go through and just to check bank statement just in case. Which we did and everything tuned out fine.
Fingers crossed everything will turn out fine. :lol:
Jotwenty4

Thanks for the response. On speaking to the car park attendant, he said it was our fault that we had not noticed the signs stating that the car park had "been changed" around. I asked about a refund, he gave me a telephone number, said we would not get a refund of the £85, because that was the cost of parking in that car park, but the company who we paid £28 in advance to, may refund that - but he added "dont hold your breath"

I am posting this to warn other travellers who may park at Liverpool Airport
Just to let you know that the Holiday Inn Express at John Lennon airport is now open
Becky...have you had a look around there yet? I have suggested it to my sister as, although 10 mins drive away, we don't have room to put them all up. They stayed at the Marriott last time ( handy to pop over to M&S for some prezzies for me!!) and were well impressed. Think they got a good deal.
Liverpool airport has announced new security charge per passenger at the airport, this is due to increased costs in security with no extra funding from the government or airlines. (wasn't the first governmanet tax for security after 9/11)

Full article is here http://www.liverpooljohnlennonairport.com/page.php?p=124

Make sure you carry the money, don't know whether is will be collected by automated barrier or person, also wouldn't be surprised that other airports will watch this and apply it themselves.

Dave
Dave ... I believe that this new security charge at Liverpool is aimed at paying for enhanced security, as well as reducing the time which passengers have to spend in queues at security checks.

My understanding is that passengers will have to pay the new charge at a ticket machine, and then insert that ticket in a separate turnstile, before being able to proceed through passport control and security. Presumably this could mean joining one queue at the ticket machine, before joining a second queue at the turnstile, followed by a third queue at passport control, and then a fourth queue at security.

However, the income generated from the security charge may help ensure that passengers continue to benefit from shorter queues at security, even if that does mean joining completely new queues beforehand in relation to the collection of that charge. If this charge is essential, one would have thought that there might have been better ways of collecting it, such as at the time of booking, thereby reducing the need for all these queues.

Hopefully it is not something which will catch on elsewhere, but the financial burdens of increased security measures are undoubtedly having an effect on many airlines and airports. Meanwhile it does sound as though passengers at Liverpool may have to endure increased expense, inconvenience and queues.

David :wave
On the issue of the new security charge - easyjet are in dsipute with JLA over Payment as they maintain that their current contract with the airport covers ecurity charges.

The machines, I understand have been installed, but are not yet operational.
Went through JLA yesterday - the machines are in place but not operational as correctly stated by the last poster. No date seems to have been set for their introduction, but the signs are in place ...
Does anyone know one?. Seen the promotional code box when getting a quote on-line.
does anybody know if there is a viewing area of the runway at this airport other than in the terminal building ??
Hi Clair, there was an area at one end of the runway but I haven't been there for a couple of years. If you turn left as you approach the airport into Hale Road, then drive passed the airport and turn right into Dungeon Lane, you will come across a rough car park where you can see all the planes coming and going.

Cheers

Mark 8)
thanks mercdriver ill have a drive up there..
Claire62,

I've just sent you an email, talk about coincidence! For viewing areas, have a look at North West Air News. That has directions to the main viewing areas. The main one is at the end of runway 27 where you can get photos such as these.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.