Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
:offtop The main reason you have to show your boarding card when purchasing goods from duy free is to ensure that the goods you are buying don't exceed your allowances for your destintion. It's a bit extreme for WH Smiths but rules are rules. There's also for the reason Sydney mentions, and others.

Darren
I am not sure about the two answers above. Putting to one side for a moment sydneys fantasy about middle aged women as Cosmopolitan reading, chocolate stuffing, Jackie Collins lovers, I wasnt actually referring to buying what we traditionally call duty free goods like booze and fragrances. I was actually talking about buying Anadin or the Daily Mail (No, I am not female and 50), the fprmer well over high street prices and still have to show a boarding card. If they are being used as a customer survey, then they must be mindreaders as the boarding cards are not scanned, just looked at. So clearly with goods like that, it has nothing to do with exceeding allowances.
More like it will be as a check on airport staff. Passengers and staff are the only two categories of person who will be airside. Again, I can imagine doing it for traditional duty free stuff, but not as blanket request for the purchase of anything, unless I undervalue the idea that there is a dodgy market in overpriced maltezers amongst airport workers.
At the bottom of it is the fact that I dislike unnecessary requests for my private information in areas where it is clearly not needed. I buy gin, yes I am happy to show the card, but not for a £4 sandwich worth £1-50 on the high street.
Perhaps someone reading this thread and who is travelling soon, could when paying for non duty free items ask the person requesting to see it, why it is necessary for them to check their boarding pass.

In the meantime, perhaps we should return to the topic.
Well, getting back to the subject
I use lounges all the time.
When flying from BHX I use the dreadful Servisair lounges or the passible BA lounges depending on what class of travel I am in. For BHX and Malaga I do use Priority pass, as has been said before, a lounge is a haven from the noise and bustle of the main airport terminal and you can get a seat!

When flying from Gatwick with Virgin I use the truly wonderful Virgin lounge, a lounge like no other airlines there.
You can have a massage, a haircut, and for the girls, nail work, large breakfasts and other hot food, free internet access, free newspapers (yes, you CAN take them away!) tv lounge, cinema and games room and even a shoe shine guy.
They have started a lounge for non Upper Class and gold card passengers at Gatwick called the V-Room and that seems to be getting good reviews as well.

Out of Heathrow, either the (again) wonderful Virgin Clubhouse or the BA terrace lounge

Are the lounges worth the money? in my mind, yes, but each to their own.
Hi All and Happy New Year.
As a novice Flyer i am still toying with the idea of booking the airport lounge at gatwick for our October holiday in DR.
Can i ask, do they announce flight boardings in the lounge or is it on screens or do you have to keep popping out to make sure you dont miss the flight.
Thanks Lyn :)
lynsgotasecret,

There's are screens showing flight departures / status to keep an eye on things and there's normally calls made as well. If in doubt, aim to be at the gate 45 minutes before your flight is due to depart and you won't be far off.

Darren
Thanks Darren your quick reply is appriciated,
I think i will book the lounge, my husband and brother-in-law are not great shoppers, once we have had a look around the shops and duty free it sound a lovely place to relax before the flight.

Lyn :D
The cost of booking lounges online can sometimes be reduced by going through a third party. For example I always book the lounge through the member benefits section of my health club, David LLoyd. I'm sure there will be other companies who do this too. It may only be a saving of a pound or two per head but better in my pocket than theirs...

Also I find I save a fortune by booking the lounge - not just for the gin and tonic and coffee I drink - but because I'm less lilkely to hit the airport shops and buy through boredom! :)
In the past I have found that some third parties charge extra for paying with a credit card.
Hi Sydney, you may be correct about the credit card charge, I haven't checked that out as I normally pay the lounge with my debit card. However, I checked today for prices when I next travel, 3rd March out of Birmingham. Thomas Cook (my carrier) are charging £20pp for the Servisair lounge through their holiday extras but through David Lloyd member benefits it is only £16.20pp. Not a fortune saved, I agree, but for a few clicks of the mouse its worth doing!
I am thinking of booking the No.1 Lounge at Gatwick South Terminal. The information given is that there is a Bistro serving hot food. Has anyone used this lounge and would the hot food be at a supplement or included in the price?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Lorraine
I understand the No 1 Lounge at Gatwick was due to open on the 1st April, however, details for it are no longer appearing on the Gatwick website and the holiday extras website shows it as having sold out. Does anyone know whether the Lounge actually opened on the 1st or did it prove so popular they are not going to advertise it for a while?
Hi, cant see any details of member used gatwick south terminal vip lounge? anybody been there and is it worth the money. bearing in mind we cant get too many drinks down us before boarding!
Surely airport lounges and free alcohol dont mix

I remember about 5 yrs back, Thomson advertising airport lounges for £19, and all you can drink "Alcohol"

If you take up the airport offer of free drink, then I think you stand a very good chance of being refused to fly
Does anyone know if Belfast City has an airport lounge?

Was bored mindless in the terminal when I last visited so was considering a lounge 'on the company' but for the size of the place I didn't notice one (aside from the FlyBe lounge)
JKKne,

There isn't one shown on the airport map / facilities list.

Darren
Thanks for the quick reply Dazbo, think I'll play it close and turn up just before close of check in to spend as little time as possible at George Best
Hi, i have read thatsmart casual dress is there code for BAA lounges. is denim allowed?
bluejohncharles,

It varies by lounge, but smart casual is the norm and denim is fine although the fashion ripped varieties probably aren't!.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.