Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
hi, excellent information, well done :lol: I wish I knew all this when I flew for the first time as it can be very intimidating, especially if you have a young family and are trying to remain cool, despite panicking inside.

Cheers

Mark 8)
Excellent info! Well done for writing all that advice! It's hard to know what to expect when you've never done it before - I wish I'd had this to read before my first time abroad with 2 small children a good few years ago :D Thanks Alsacienne for taking the time to put all that together - I'm sure it will be very helpful to a lot of people.
Somthing i would just like to add to that with working in the airport.

- At the boarding gate, most airlines will board the aircraft in row number say 26 - 36. It is amazing the a amount of people not in these rows who come up to board, despite being told 3 times rows 26-36. So dont be one of these people and be aware of your row number and wait until its called.

- Mobile phones should be turned off prior to boarding the aircraft.

- If there is a delay please dont take it out on the staff at the airport there is a 99% chance it isnt their fault, probably a technical delay, so if you want someone to blame ill give you the number for Airbus or Boeing.
brilliant info for first time flyiers like me thank you.hope you dont mind but i printed a copy :D
great info it has realy put my mind at rest being a first time flyer it can be quite a worry when you dont know what to do :)
Many thanks for the great info especially as i have not flown for 16 years and my husband and son have never flown.

Many thanks once again Maureen :yipee
well done on a very detailed explanation!
any idea how 'picky' boarding is regarding your name. One of our boarding cards (just checked in online) shows a first name as 'chris' but the passport shows 'christopher' - all other details are correct/the same.

Thanks
TFS1,

For security reasons, names on tickets / boarding cards should match with passports exactly. I think in your case though, a common sense approach will be used and you should be ok.

Darren
what would happen if your return ticket slip was stolen when you were on holiday...seen articles about room safes being forced open
TWEETIE PIE,

If your flight documentation was stolen, you'd need to contact the airline / resort representative to get a replacement, after reporting it to the police. Whoever stole it wouldn't be able to use it as the ticket must tie in with passport details.

Darren
Hi,

thats was great in detail !!

I would like to add one thing, when they say one piece of hand baggage they mean " ONE " so for you ladies out there.

so if you ladies have two bags, one being your hand bag .... put your handbag inside the other bag, I have seen people at gatwick being stopped for this and having to buy a slightly larger bag to put all in !!!

once you have done it the first time, next time it will fun as soon as you entre the airport, Relax and enjoy :cheers
Gregg,

You'll find more information on hand luggage on the dedicated thread here and on the specific airline threads. Depending on the airline you are travelling with, one piece means one piece, ie hand bags and cameras must be within main hand luggage.

Darren
hi all
I have booked with jet2 for 4 people.one of the party, I booked with just his first name which is james I have now found out the name on his passport is James Edward.Do I need to inform jet 2 before I check in online?I don,t want to start the check in procedure only to find I have a problem.

thanks for any onfo
jeanie
jeanie,

Strictly speaking, all names should be submitted when booking flights to match what is says on the passport. However, I never submit my middle name unless specifically asked for it. As long as the christian and surnames match, you'll be fine.

Darren
Hi Gower
yes edward is his second name,he,s been my brother in law for 25yrs and I didn,t know he had a middle name!
been away with him loads of times and only ever booked with his first name and never had a problem but this is our first jet2 flight and I am a bit concerned that they might stop the online checkin procedure.
jeanie
thanks Dazbo
so you think that if I start my online checkin with jet2 I wont have a problem?
I would also like to ask you if it is worth the bother of online checkin as I have prebooked our seats.
jeanie
jeanie,

I wouldn't anticipate a problem, no. As long as the christian and surname match. If you don't have bags to check-in, online check-in is excellent as you can just go straight through to the departure lounge. If you have bags to check-in, you'll still have to queue at check-in to check the bags in so it's less of a time saver. I always check-in online personally when it's available.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.