Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
I have just returned from Malta and I would rate the beaches in this order.

1 Mellieha Bay
2 Golden Bay
3 Paradise Bay
4 Ghan Tuffieha Bay
5 Armier Bay

All the beaches are in the North west of Malta and the handiest way to go to them all is to hire a car for a few days.

Pretty Bay is in the south west and is rocky - NOT a beach.
cool - thankies

any other good ideas where to go?
don't forget Ramla beach in Gozo !
cool - im planning a day trip to gozo.......is ramla beach where the ferry drops you off?
no, the ferry terminal is on the east side, Ramla is on the north - best is to either come by car, or hire one in Gozo at the ferry terminal. Let me know what you like, and I'll recommend other things in Gozo

ps once you see Gozo, you won't want to leave !
Hi Dark angel, pretty bay is at the bottom of the island in Birzebuggia, although it is quite a nice,big sandy beach I wouldnt say 'pretty bay' is apt as it is slap bang next door to the dry docks! You will be directly looking out at all the cargo ships and cranes!!
Also,when we were there a few weeks ago there were an awful lot of jelly fish really close to the shore, so if you have kids then look out. We stay in Marsaxlokk so Birzibuggia is handy for us but depending on where you are staying, there are nicer beaches.
We like Ghan Tuffieha and gnenja,both a little trickier to find,but worth it when you do!
Everyone likes different things and has different requirements, so my advice would be to visit all of the beaches and see what you think. They are all so different and where one may be nice because it has watersports you may prefer something a little less touristy? Its so great that the island is small because you are never that far away from the next place! ENJOY!
hmmm - the docks dont sound too appealing - think ill go to the others you recommended, i love m'lokk, i remember going to the big market and eating at a cafe and having a lovely walk back to m'scala where i was staying.

that reminds me - is st thomas's bay still any good - last time i was there it was fine one day, then the next it was just COVERED in sea weed!!!

GOZOMARK........... i dont think ill be able to hire a car unfortunatley as im only 24, and i hear most places like you to be 25.......

would it be doable by foot.?
things i like doing ermmmm.......i love looking at pretty sights, relaxing ont' beach, having a cold cisk, exploring.....owt really - im easy pleased.
Hi yes St Thomas bay is still nice,we had quite a few days there as its so close to M'lokk. It is a nice walk down into Marsascala and there is a lovely Turkish(?) bar where the park is and he does fabulous kebabs!

With regard to the age for car hire, Im not too sure at all but you could check with my friend Johann Camilleri who owns Swansea Car Hire- he can advise on age requirements- it would be so much easier for you to get around if you had a car.

http://www.swansea@maltanet.net
http://www.malta-car-hire.com
00356 21 313 261
I dont know of anyone, but maybe you could hire mopeds?
I would like to Clarify two comments about Pretty Bay which are incorrect. Firstly Pretty Bay is a fairly large totally Sandy Beach and not a rocky one. It is very sheltered and does not experience underwater currents due to the fact that is it located inside the fishes mounth so to speak (I am referring to Malta as the fish) The Dry Docks are not located anywhere near Pretty Bay or Birzebbugia but are located in Senglea and Vittoriosa. What is located in the outer parts of the the bay is the Malta Freeport, which despite the high number of container ships comng and going is remarkable clean. The bay is a very nice sight at night with the whole of the free port all lit up.
Hi I love the islands, my fav on Malta is Ghan Tuffieha, its unspoilt and a very beautiful beach, adore Gozo, think Rambla Bay is beautiful too! but worth mentioning is San Blas, it has a horid steep hill you have to walk down, but the place is a paradise - well worth finding, just don't ask me for directions. Also try to see if you can get car hire when over there, as some local places might just let you. The harbour in Gozo is Imgarr (forgive spelling) if you don't manage a car, little boats go through the day to Comino, thats one idea or the jeep tours of Gozo pick up at the harbour, and go round the island, never done it myself, so don't know where they get to. Plus the buses seem to go just everywhere!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.