Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Manolis are fine and Kefalos is a perfect resort for what you describe yourselves to be. They are located the 'top' end of Kefalos, opposite end of resort to the harbour, my personal favourite. Close to Chyrsoula Apartments (huge swimming pool and you can use their pool/beds even if not staying there, just five mins walk from Manolis! Also near to Hotel Club Med and Hoel Pantheon etc. They always seem to be a popular choice so you should be fine. Lots of really good tavernas in Kefalos, you can eat at a different spot each night for two weeks and not do them all, but don't get the wrong idea, it is not a crazy busy spot at all. . Tomorrow when I have some more time I will send you a PM with more information. We are off to Kef for our tenth visit in Sept. Love the place. here are some really lovely beaches close by, you can hire a car and explore. A must visit is the old village above the resort, you can get the bus up, great views from up here and some nice little coffee shops and some nice bakeries :lol: :lol:
anything else you need to ask - feel free if you try to think of a few things I can respond by PM as promised
Heather
Kefalos is a Perfect choice if you like quiet holidays. Manolis is great too! Just because its a self catering holiday don`t think that you will be cooking! The restaraunts are fantastic and so cheap it would be silly not to eat out. Lovely fresh greek salad, yum.

We went last year staying at the christina studios. We are going back in June this year and taking all the kids (4). I always take lots of photo`s and video which I would be happy to share with you. Don`t worry about anything you have made a great choice and will enjoy yourselves!! Happy holiday.
DOn't know whether this will work but am going to try and post a pici below of Kefalos with the little island in the background - WOW what a view!

[img=http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7366/kefalos1sr.jpg]
:oops: :oops:
Try again.......

if this don't work I'm givingup 8)

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6003/kefalos7vx.jpg
Manolis has its own pool now.
These are right at the start of Kefalos...a long walk to the main centre...but hey you will have nothing else to do...
all the food and bars are nice in Kefalos and probably some nice ones at that end of the resort.... :D
Hi, we are going to Tingaki in June for the first time, can anyone tell me what to expect at Kos Airport.

Chaos or relatively normal airport?

Cheers
Janet
Depends on what you define as a "relatively normal airport"? Kos is a typical Greek island airport, ie quite small and slightly chaotic at times.
Two carousels in baggage reclaim and two or three fights arriving in the space of half an hour can get crowded.
Likewise departures, queues outside the airport for check-in with two or three flights checking-in at the same time does take some time. The reps will let so many people from one queue in, and then some from the other and so on.
One way round the queues is to take a taxi to the airport and arrive before the transfer coaches. Done that a couple of times and was able to walk straight in.
Really Kos is no worse than most Greek island airports and, having been to Zakynthos, probably slightly better than some. :)

Enjoy Kos and have a good holiday.

Andy.
Lots of info on this thread HERE from the Flights Only/ Airline and Airportds thread.
Lots of good info on that thread Dougie.

Think a taxi will be the answer for the journey home to avoid the problems , anyone any ideas how much from Tingaki to the airport?

Cheers,
Janet
I have no personal experience, but this link seems to suggest about 20 Euros.

HERE
Hi,

we went to Kos 2 years ago for the first week in september. the airport was an absolute nightmare. ive been to greece before and travelled all round europe and ive never seen anything like it. we had night flights for each end and arriving and departing were much the same. there are several flights all arriving or departing at the same time. the airport is utter chaos and the staff are minimal. there are literally thousands and thousands of people all crammed into a space that should accommodate a few hundred passengers. when we arrived we couldnt even get within 10 feet of the conveyor belts. it was so crowded it was actually terrifying as we were being pushed and shoved by other passengers, who, like us, were all anxious just to get out of the place and into the fresh air. we managed to retrive our luggage but there were a fair few folks that didnt.

when we departed from kos we were lined up outside the airport along with thousands more passengers from the transfer coaches. there a ridiculous number of delays that day so no-one had left the airport for the last 24 hours so it was even more packed, and even more frightening. fortunately we had been talking to another couple before we reached the airport who had prepared us for the situation. we tried to remain calm and just stick in the queues. there were several queues all snaking around the inside and outside of the airport. one was for getting into the airport, one was for checking baggage (again, we managed to get this far but others didnt) and then the que started for check in and then passport control and to go through to the departure lounge. while we were there the flights started to catch up with the delays and they were then leaving more or less on time. this meant that the flights that were leaving or ready to leave had passengers that hadnt even made it through the first que into the airport, let alone the rest of them. this happened to hundreds of people and we were two of them. the flight departures were being announced but no-one could hear the tannoy. passengers further down the queues could hear what was going on and this information was being yelled across the crowds. we heard that our plane was ready to leave in this way. along with most of the other passengers from our plane we had to push and shove our way through thousands of people to get near the departure gate. we hadnt checked in properly and hadnt been through passport control but we were herded through the gates and had to literally run across the runway to catch our flight!! it was an extremely stressful time and throughout the airport we could see families suffering (who kids hadnt had drinks for hours and hours) and there were even fights breaking out between passengers when folks desperate to run to their planes were having to force themselves through the crowds.

at the airport and on the flight we heard many people say that kos airport would be the reason they would never visit kos again. we didnt feel this strongly and had the view that however awful it was we would not let it spoil an absolutely perfect holiday in kos. we were glad that another couple had prepared us as best they could and i think we had the worst experience possible, so hopefully it wont be that bad for you. take my advice, keep calm, expect the worst, be very prepared.... and be prepared to think on your feet and leg it if you need to!
Hi Kellysims,

Scary reading........

Would you say it's definately worth taking a taxi into the airport on the return journey then? Maybe try and beat some of the tour buses in.

Cheers,
Janet
Thanks Kelly :)

After reading that if we don't hire a car we will definatly be getting a taxi back to the airport :shock:
id say it's definately worth getting a taxi to the airport and id try and get there about 1-2 hours before the transfer coaches are expected to get there..... i only wish we'd thought of it!!

you should be able to get through to the departure lounge by getting a taxi early but do be prepared. we never made it to the departure lounge but we heard from other passengers that there arent any facilities in the lounge. just make sure you have plenty of water and anything you need with you.

hopefully it wont be anywhere near as bad this year as it was for us but the most important thing is just to stay calm and be prepared for the worst.

on arrival at kos airport you may well be the first plane in the arrivals so it might not look too bad but the staff dont unload any luggage onto the conveyor belts until all the flights are in arrivals so by then it will have got very crowded. all the luggage from all the planes is jumbled up and put onto both conveyor belts. since there are only two belts, if there are two of you it's best to position yourselves one at the end of each belt.... and be patient! if you have kids with you then id advise that one of you takes the kids to near the exit of arrivals area (near the toilets was a slightly quieter, and safer, area (less pushing and shoving). if only one of you can get to the belts then try and get in the middle of the two as your luggage could be on either, or both! also, there are t.v. screens above the belts that announce which flight's luggage is coming through, ignore these, they arent correct.

although the airport is a complete nightmare, like i said before, i would still go back to kos and wouldnt let it put me off, you just have to grit your teeth!

i hope it's better for you folks than it was for us, im sure they must have improved it by now!

kel
we went to Kos 2 years ago for the first week in september. the airport was an absolute nightmare

totally agree

but its worth it, just expect to be outside airport on way home for at least hour and a half or my advice would be to go half an hour earlier than your due time, make your own way there and pretend to be an independant traveller maybe that will help
Normal greek chaos at an airport. Standing outside while they do security checks. No facilities inside. Expensive drinks.
However it is always the same so you know what to expect
Thanks everyone.

Have booked our seats today, (only £10.00 each), and will get a taxi well before the tour buses roll in hopefully.

Cheers,
Janet
small,backwater airport,hot/sticky.not cheap
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.