Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Depending on where your staying mate cleaning will be done everyday except thurs/sun,bedding twice per week and towels every day!
Toilet paper etc is provided,soap etc is down to you.

There is a great supermarket on the road to Paralimni called Orphandies (spelling probably wrong lol) where the locals shop and believe me there is a big difference in prices between here and the resort!

By the way mate we go wed staying at the tropical dreams protaras,where are you staying?
Cheers
  • Edited by pars 2006-08-06 15:18:37
Please do not post in phone text style, eg m8 instead of mate. Some of our visually impaired members use screen readers which do not recognise this type of text.

luci :wave
I'm not going till the middle of September unfortunately... :(

but at least I am going... :D
thats another thought.. would a struggle to get beef without being able to speak Greek (and other food stuffs when trying to shop in local shops)
CY
these are the approximate English spoken /Greek translations sorry cant type in Greek dont have the right font.

beef and veal (same in Greek) to mos-hari
lamb to Arni
chicken to kotopoulo

anything else

Brian
Cheers for that..

how about peppers (capsicum, not the hot chilli type)
potatoes
green beans
olive oil
stock cubes?
cinnamon
redwine
oregano (think its origni or something similar)
bay leaves ?

lettuce
cucumber
tomatoes
lemons

is this stupid ? are olives, olives in Greek thats why we use the word??

bread
margerine (not for me but I'm sure the others might want it)
eggs
bacon

Thanks in advance.....and are you spelling them as we would say them or its the spelling how it is spelt and its said with lots of odd lingustic twists to it ?...

Might be better using the traditional Brits abroad art of pointing and gesturing but I'm sure I'd get better thought of it I could at least use a few words ( I do wish I could learn Greek but I've never been good with languages... )
I don't think that you will have any trouble with the language AskCy as most Cypriots speak at least some English, but you will have trouble trying to cook a meal in your apartment, most only give you 2 rings to cook on and a kettle and toaster. This is ok to make a cooked breakfast, but we usually stick to salads at lunchtime and eat out in the evening- it's too hot to cook much anyway. Orphanides has a good range of food, the fruit and veg especially. You can reach it on the local bus and taxi back if you haven't a car- you would probably still save money if you were buying a fair bit.
I'm pretty used to cooking on one ring only as I tend to make one pan dishes for ease when everyone comes up for Sunday lunch, you know Stiffado type dishes that can then be served with boiled potatoes done on the same ring if need be (cook the meat and then allow it to stay warm while the potatoes cook, then give it a quick reheat while putting the spuds out etc)... I'm not intending on doing a massive amount of cooking but I'd like to at least do a couple of authentic meals..
Hi Askcy

Try this website - http://www.greek-recipe.com/static/greek/food-dictionary/a.html

lots of food stuff in there, with the greek and pronunciation too.

Hope it helps,
Kezza
thanks Kezza, thats most useful.. :)
cy

i am still learning myself.. i will put a few that i know together with some pronounciation tips

brian
Thanks Brian, its great to have a little knowledge, in fact I'm surprised each Destination Topic on HT doesn't have a sticky topic with language in it.. ?
Please do not post in phone text style, eg m8 instead of mate. Some of our visually impaired members use screen readers which do not recognise this type of text.

Yes sorry i have edited the post,i thought it would have been better done rather than pointing it out?
how about peppers (capsicum) glikOs i piperA ( sweet pepper)
potatoes i patAta
beans ta fasOlia
olive oil i eliA to lAthi
stock cubes? dont know
cinnamon dont know
redwine kokIno krAssi
white wine AsprO krAssI
oregano (think its origni or something similar) dont know
bay leaves ? dont know
lettuce to marOOli
cucumber to agOOri
tomatoes i domAta
lemons to lemOni

is this stupid ? are olives, olives in Greek thats why we use the word??
no they arei eliA
bread to psomI
margerine (i put olive oil on my bread) i margarIni
6 eggs Exi to avgO
bacon to beikon

a glass (to drink from) to potarI
a bottle to bOOkAli

i would like i THela
please paraKAlO
thank you efhaRistO
ok endaxI
i dont want then iTHela

emphasise the capital letters, greek has male femail and nutral words but dont worry if you get it wrong they are verry patient with people who try to mElate ElinEKA (speek greek)

brian
Thanks again Brian, I also have put olive oil on my bread but its only worth doing when its good bread and good oil... otherwise I have mine dry :D
cy if you want any more pm me so we dont flood the forum it will also give me a chance to look up some i may not know

brian
Yes sorry i have edited the post,i thought it would have been better done rather than pointing it out?

But if I had edited the post and not pointed it out, you may not have realised the error and carried on using it. :wink:

luci :wave
Note for Brian
Why don't you add Greek fonts ?
It's very easy to do and you can then switch from English to Greek at a whim....this is for XP

Right Click the EN box at bottom right of your screen
Settings
Add
Greek
OK

Εφαηαριστο παρα πολισ

Ανδριαν (Thats what they always call me in Cyprus ;))
first thing first i need to learn to speak before i try to learn to read
and i find it very difficult at my age :oops:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.