Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Torrevieja.
17 Posts
I've spent sometime in Torrevieja but it is not a place I would describe as a holiday resort. There are a lot of ex-pats staying there and it does have its fair share of holidaymakers in the summer and it can also get very busy then. A few nice beaches and a marina but if you like a holiday with entertainment and bars a plenty then this is not for you I'm afraid. There is a lot of work going on in the town.
Thank you for your post.

We have an expensive year next year and can't afford our usual two week holiday abroad staying HB in a nice hotel. We know of somebody who has this holiday home in Torrevieja and we're debating whether to hire it for two weeks next August. The owner of the holiday home explained it would be better to hire a car to get out and about. I don't know whether to book it! :?
Kay,

I have lived on the outskirts of Torrevieja for some years now.

If you give me an idea of where you intend staying I will be able to help.

I find the previous post advising that it is not a holiday resort somewhat puzzling.
Hello Oly Daze,

I'm not too sure exactly where abouts the villa / holiday home is in Torrevieja but the owner told me it's about a 30 minute walk to the beach. She told me when she goes to the villa / holiday home she hires a car, as it's a long walk to the beach, which it may well be in the heat in August. I have this link http://www.torreviejainformation.com/ on Torrevieja and thought it looked lovely. I've never been to Costa Blanca before.

I'll try and find out exactly where abouts the villa is.

Kay.
More than likely one of the urbanizations south of Torrevieja. Playa Flamenca or La Florida perhaps?

A 5 minute walk can be knackering in August, especially when you consider the paraphernalia that you usually have to carry for a day on the beach, so a car is essential.

With the use of a car you can avoid the overcrowded beaches and head to the ones frequented by the Spanish. You can also find some of the better restaurants and bars.

Give me a rough idea of what you would like to do on your holidays, and I will give as much advice (and directions) as needed.
I think it's ironic that the thing that gets criticised most about Benidorm, the hi-rise building pattern, is exactly what makes it (to my mind) a better "holiday resort" when compared to a place like Torrevieja. A typical sized building area in Benidorm will have one or two apartment blocks, totalling maybe 150 apartments, and a pool area surrounded by "locales" that end up as shops, bars and restaurants. The same sized block in a lo-rise buiding area like Torrevieja just has about 40 or 50 villa type buildings put on it. The result is that everything ends up much more spread out. This may give ex-pats more individual living space but as a holidaymaker it just means you end up walking three times as far to get anywhere and I really hate walking in the heat!!
More than likely one of the urbanizations south of Torrevieja.

I remember the lady telling me it was in one of the urbanizations south of Torrevieja now you mention it. She also said it was south of Santa Pola, but I've never heard of Santa Pola before! The lady also said Europa was a good car hire.

I love Spain, but the 'real' Spain, and I'd love to go off touring Spain in a car hire and going to villages, etc.
The urbanizations make good bases for a holiday, but if you want to see the 'real Spain' then you would do well to use your rental apartment only for sleeping. There is not much very Spanish about the area immediately south of Torrevieja, which incidentally is known as the Orihuela Costa.

Europa is a good car hire company. They are reasonably priced and fair with the fuel, giving you a full tank when you pick it up and expecting one when you return it. As you are coming in August it would be sensible to pre-book a car online.

The Orihuela Costa lays about midway between Alicante and Murcia (San Javier) airports. Driving time from either is about 45 minutes. Coming from Alicante and driving south, the first large town that you will pass will be Santa Pola which is only 10 minutes or so from the airport.

Santa Pola is worth a visit, as is Elche which is about 10 Km inland. You will also drive past Guardamar del Segura and La Mata, both towns are predominately 'Spanish'.
Within an hours drive of your base you have Lorca, Cartegena, Mazarron, Murcia and Orihuela itself.

There are obviously going to be days when you don't fancy a long drive, and nights where you prefer to eat more locally. Torrevieja town center has a pleasant square and marina, and plenty of good restaurants (a fair share of bad ones too!!). The beaches north of Guardamar are far less crowded with much less chance of being hassled for a massage or to buy dodgy CD's or sunglasses. Lo Pagan is good for nightlife and is only a short drive south (Spanish nightlife does not kick off until at least midnight). Benijofar (inland, north) is also worth a visit; try the Rocio Palace for professional Flamenco dancing.

All the urbanizations have their own bars, restaurants and places of entertainment. Some are good, but as a general rule they are avoided by the locals, especially the Spanish, as they do not represent good value for money. The only time I have seen optics used in a bar in Spain was in an urbanization and in one square in Villamartin they actually get away with charging 25 Euro for fish and chips!.

The web link that you posted earlier shows the Torre del Moro in the top right hand corner. This is in Torrelamata and surprisingly I can see it from my window as I type this.

I feel sure that the people that you are renting from can advise you further, although that is not always the case. Unfortunately there are many owners here that know little about the area except for the drive from the airport!

Here are a few more links that may help you:-
http://www.torrevieja.com
http://www.turismedelx.com/en/
http://www.elitepm.org.uk/rojales_alicante_Torrevieja_info.php

Have a lovely holiday!
Hi I have lived in Torrevieja for 3 1/2 years and love it. Just a 10 min walk to beach. Also have a holiday rental apartment just a minutes walk to Los Naufragos Beach which is quite Spanish(Advertised in the holiday home section). Agree with Oly Daze try and keep away from the urbanisation restaurants pretty expensive also friends took us to that place that Oly Daze was on about nearly died with embaressment chose the cheapest thing which was Lamb chops and they were nearly 18 Euros over a year ago.
Have a good holiday but remember to bring your brains with you. There is some crime here as with everywhere else just be observant as you would in the UK. If you are driving do NOT follow the blue Torrevieja sign as it will take twice as long Follow Alicante Sur then turn off for Santa Pola/Cartagena. The roads are pretty busy here in August and bring plenty of Sun Lotion! :D
Thank you both very much for your replies. I think I'm going to book it this week-end before somebody else gets in before me!

Your replies have been very helpful, thank you :D

Kay.
Hi

We stay in La Zenia nearly every year -the beach here is lovely - used extensivelly by the Spanish so must be a good sign. I have never driven abroad so we use the local bus and taxis to get to Torre, and usually go into town approx 2/3 times during the holiday. Traffic is horrendous now on the main road - but if you get your timing right it usually takes approx 30 mins to get to town.

Tina
hi , I am Spanish and born here , I know everything about Torrevieja ¿ can I help you ?
hi we're off to this area next summer, in the la marina area in a villa for two weeks.

dont know much about it but it looks nice and peaceful which is what we're after. also off to gran alicant, santa pola in two weeks for the half term holiday.

any advice is most welcome as these are d.i.y holidays and we love getting around and are hiring a car.

many thanks
Hi Bullring

My wife my 12 year old daughter and I are off to Los Montesinos, north of Torreveija on December 27th this year.

Is this village okay for a 12year old & what can you recommend we visit??

Thanks
Nik
for a super night out get a taxi to the lounge bar for the night with ricky powell
For those sad enough to remember the Bay City Rollers I understand that Eric Faulkener works at the Lounge Bar (or at least, he did).

I hope he pulls pints rather than sings!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.