Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
For Madhu huts contact Shekhar e mail shekhar1303@sify.com mobile 9423813442 landline 2647116
Sounds divine tightjock hope we will be able to give it a go but not sure whether we want to drive. Are the roads ok?

We will be staying in Cavelossim - first time to Goa - can anybody give me any tips on surrounding area :?:
When I said drive I used poetic licence :) should have said our Goan friend Laurence drove. You can go by taxi very cheaply. Where are you staying and what kind of tips are you looking for. Cavelossim is a great place to base yourself for a fantastic holiday.
Hi Ki77y,

try the Jazz Inn for evening entertainment and good food. Or if you go into Benaulim there's a great Indoor restaurant called Joecons who have live entertainment like African dancers (limbo/acrobatics) and a fab menu. Then there's Fiplees in Benaulim by maria hall which have singers (all though they aren't the best) but the chinese food is lovely and Oh so hot!!!!!!.

The old capital of Goa is Margoa which is a lovely bustling town with all the tailors (excellent are the Best, I had 3 business suits made for £26 each all double stiched and made to measure and the wash in the washing machine perfectly) Best Jeweller is Diana Jewellry in Varca ask for Farook.

Hope this helps
Hi tightjock would you have to book in advance if you wanted to
stay in the madhu huts sounds great. :)
I think it would depend on what time of year you went and for how long but drop Shekhar an e mail and I am sure he will let you know.
If staying in Cavelossim you have to try for lunch (or dinner) The River View restaurant they have built a pontoon onto the River Sal and you can sit with a lovely cool breeze on your face whilst watching a fabulous river view in one direction, a working fishing port the other, a couple of goans diving for oysters from a dugout canoe, spot kites, egrets, ospreys and of course kingfishers diving for their lunch as you dine on fabulous food the Red Snapper fried in garlic butter with baked potato and fresh veg is superb (and all of 225 rupees) washed down with a cold beer mmmmmm......... what memories :)
Hi Ki77y ~~ to take a look at Madhu shack and huts go to:

http://www.macprofessor.com

If you do visit, have the driver take the coast road route, instead of H17. The coast road offers some fantastic views.

Agree with Callumn, the River View is a fantastic place, views gorgeous and the owner and staff are great people.

Also go on Betty's 'Day Out' trip ~~ dolphin and bird spotting, an unmissable experience !!
I think everybody who has stayed in the south will have at least heard of Betty's Boat and most will have tried the trip. It is a fantastic day out.

You board at 10 am and proceed down the river Sal towards the sea. Depending on sea conditions sometimes when you reach the estuary you are transfered to smaller boats to go out to sea to see the dolphins. At other times you go out on the main boat. After about an hour of hopefully dolphin watching you return to the river for a slow cruise up stream to see daily life of the locals and the wildlife. Binoculars and bird books are provided by the crew, who also start to provide drinks. You select you tipple and they will just keep filling your glass until you say stop or fall over.
When you have travelled up stream for just over an hour the boat moors up and Roy the captain then cooks lunch. Starters of garlic prawns followed by Kingfish steak with salad is followed by fresh fruit salad doused liberally with honeybee.
After lunch you return to the jetty to be dropped of at 3pm.
The cost of this day out is an amazingly cheap 650rps including ALL the drink.
Last year another boat was doing the same trip but I will stick with Betty's as down south it is a bit of an institution.
MadAboutGoa beat me to it. Must type faster
For anyone who's interested in Betty's:

http://www.bettysgoa.com

Menu is more or less the same as the River View, as it's owned by a cousin of the family.
Thanks tightjock for your reply we are going in nov. but will email
shekhar.
Hi

Have any of you lot stayed in Betalbatim I hear it's lovely, didn't get there last Jan hoping to in Jan 2007
Thanks tightjock, arl, madaboutgoa, thirdstage we will definitely be trying Agonda, Betty's day out trip, river view restaurant (probably lunch and dinner it sounds wonderful), diana jewellry is a must as husband is buying me a new engagement ring (although he doesn't know yet) and margoa seems worth a visit, arl did you take a suit with you for them to work on or did they measure you?

We arrive on 18 November and staying at Dona Sylvia - only 65 more shut eyes!
Hi Ki77y ~~ both Tightjock and I can recommend a fantastic Jewellery in Cavelossim, which is just opposite the Dona Sylvia. Jewel Collection, shop no. 13 Luisa by the Sea. Proprietor Jaan, I have known him for five years now and have bought various items of white gold jewellery, diamond rings, an emerald bracelet and a Cartier (copy) cross encrusted with diamonds. Well worth a visit.

Hope this helps.
We have not stayed at Betalbatim but have been along that stretch many times. It is a very pleasant stretch of beach between 1.5 and 2 miles long between the Nanu resort and Majorda. There is good swimming from the beach which is backed by trees. I did read last month in the Navind Times or Herald there had been a problem with some erosion of the bank and some of the trees had been swept away. There are shacks at both ends and last year one situated in the middle. The beach is popular with locals at the weekend, who come down for family picnics.
There are some smaller guest houses behind the beach but no really large deluxe places. The best known place for eating in the area is Martins Corner which is a short Taxiride away.
Ki77ly,

No I designed the suits myself and had some photographs of something similar. When you go to Diana Jewellry don't go in a taxi /tuk tuk or if you do get them to drop you off before or after the shop as they will get a commission and your price will be bumped up. Tell Farook that Bill Churchill (paul demello's friend sent you).

He will show you the diamonds and set it for you (I got a S shaped setting). If you have another engagement ring give him that for sizing and he'll clean it for you.

Have a lovely time.

Arl
Jewel Collection sounds like a place close enough to visit while hubby is snoozing on the beach :wink: to get a few ideas without him huffing and puffing in the background :lol:

:?: What is the sea like in and around Cavellosim - I love the sea and have read bad reports about undercurrents etc - is this all over Goa or just certain areas?

Ki77y
I got Mrs Jock a fabulous solitaire from the Jewel Collection last year and as madaboutgoa says I can highly recommend Jaan too :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.