Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi Linda,

That timing sounds about right, and could well an average time depending where your hotel is in the drop off list.

Peter
Hi Linda,

It's around 100km (just over 62 miles) from Varna Airport to Sunny Beach so, as Peter says, it's probably about right for a coach dropping off passengers here & there en route.

Baldur
Couldn't you just hire a car and collect it at the airport when you arrive, and drive yourself there. It would probably get you there much quicker.
Cornetjo

Am I right in assuming you have never been to Bulgaria?

Can you read cyrillic?

Are you aware of insurance factors?

Do you have an accurate map of the resort to find your way?

Hiring a car at the airport at 2am when it's your first visit to the country is NOT a good idea.

Patka
Well it was fine for us when we did it, on our first visit to Bulgaria, in 2005. I had obtained a map of the area and the resort prior to leaving this country. I had planned the journey, prior to leaving this country.

Everything was perfect and we arrived at the hotel far quicker than the transfer coach.

Not sure if I like your tone Patka. Maybe you need to learn a bit about forward planning!!!
I really would like to know where one could get hold of an up to date map of Sunny Beach. Even those on the Internet are out of date due to the constant and extensive building work, and the renaming of hotels.

The forward planning I would do is to look at the Foreign Office Travel Advice for BULGARIA.

Look particularly at the section entitled Road Safety and the paragraph commencing "Take care when driving, particularly at night .."

All I can say is that at least the situation appears to be improving. Now it only warns of bad roads, poor driving standards and run-ins with aggressive armed drivers. In 2005 it was warning of hijacks at gun point, as well as the still mentioned criminals impersonating police officers.

In short, the Foreign Office do not recommend driving by night, and they don't even mention poor maintenance standards by even the well known car rental companies and inadequate insurance cover for the unwary.

Just another thing to bear in mind. The Varna - Sunny Beach road is the main Turkey to Romania highway. Extend it further at both ends, and it's one of the drug smuggling routes from Afghanistan into Europe.

To anyone still planning driving from Varna to Sunny Beach at 2am, all I can say is "Take care!"

Peter
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.