Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
We stayed in Elenite last October and got a taxi to Varna. It cost us 130 leva return. Varna is about one and a half hours away. We thought this was a good price. The taxis drop you of and you arrange a time with them to pick you up. A bus journey would take twice as long.

Nicole
Thanks for the info Nicole. Taxi sounds like a good option for the price. :) How does the return side of the taxi journey work if its so far away? Does the taxi have to stay as long as you need it to?
Glen :hmmm
They work out a time with you and either spend the day in Varna or go back to Sunny Beach. It is a good fare to them and more than they would normally get in a day.
Glen

We made the trip by bus last August and the August before. The journey takes between one and a half hours and one hour and fifty minutes including a ten minute stop to visit a toilet and get a drink. Buy your ticket at the bus station and they will give you a choice of return times. The last return trip if I remember correctly is at about 6.00pm. You will be given a 'ticket' bearing your chosen time. This guarantees your seat. People with these get on before those without one. At Varna get off by the Cathedral and do not forget to visit it as it is beautiful. THe market is pretty much around it and the main shopping area is beyond the market on the opposite side of the road from the cathedral. You will find all prices much cheaper than those at Sunny Beach. For your return journey to Sunny Beach you catch the bus at the exact point where you got off on arrival so there will be no confusion. If you go past the Cathedral you will end up at the bus station away from the main areas.

While there you may wish to visit the Naval Museum and the main museum which contains the world's oldest gold artefacts. The Roman Baths might also interest you.

When you walk down from the cathedral you will see a beautiful fountain with dancing waters. If you continue down the square, if you can call it that, the pedestrianised area splits into two streets by a large department store. If you take the left branch you will soon come to a large shopping street. A short way up it you will find a large road with restaurants and shops. Turn right along it and it will bring you to the beautiful park. Go into it. It leads to the sea front which usually has lots going on along it. There are a few restaurants and a night club there. This area really comes alive at night. The beach is lovely but gets crowded at this point. If you go to the right along the front it leads to the naval museum if that sort of thing interests you.

I know that this post rambles on a bit beyond your question but I hope that you will find the info useful. One word of warning though - Varna, particularly the bus stop/Cathedral area is well known for pick pockets. I was able to prevent a 'lady' with a gaggle of distracting children from opening my wife's handbag because I had fallen behind for a moment to put away my camera. Do not let this deter you. Just be careful. Varna is worth the effort and most of the Bulgarians I have met have been wonderful people.

Enjoy your trip!

ronl
Sorry Glen I forgot to tell you that the return trip works out at less than £3.00/person. Less than 9 levs! Much better than a taxi fare I think you will agree.

ronl
Roni

I think you must have missed the market!!!

The real market is about a 5 - 10 minute walk from the cathedral. Just ask anyone ' Kde gulam bazaar molya'

Patka
People who intend to visit Varna may find THIS MAP useful.

The Cathedral of the Assumption is located at grid reference G6, with the greater part of the main (touristy) shopping area contained in G6 & H6.

Baldur
It's likely to be difficult to orientate yourself on a day trip to Varna from Sunny Beach, better stick to Bourgas.

However, on Baldur's map the bazaar is along D-r. Piskiuliev Street, and for us the real shopping area is between here and along Vladislav Varnenchik Boulevard precisely because it's not touristy.

Peter
Hi Patka

Thanks for the message. Perhaps I have, although the one that I am thinking of is behind the buildings opposite the Cathedral. Along one road is the farmer's market and in the parkland before the fountain there are many stalls selling everything from crafts, clothing, paintings, leather goods, binoculars, books, antiques - you name it! There also was one below ground level, beyond the point where the pedestrian part splits into two. That one was not there last August and the land appeared to be being developed.

I will check out Baldur's map recommendation and Peter's info (Thanks Baldur and Peter).

ronl
Peter

I have visited Bourgas twice but did not find much of interest. Varna seemed to offer much more. The only disappointing thing there for us was the dolphinarium which by western standards was very small and had dolphins which appeared to be in poor condition.

I would welcome some advice on places to go and things to see in Bourgas. It is certainly a pretty enough city. I would be grateful for any info.

Thanks

ronl
Hi Ronl,

I know exactly where you have been to find the small cluster of open stalls selling souvenirs, and the smallholders selling veg, but the real bazaar is very big and of a more permanent nature.

You can get just about everything there including fresh fish and a sheep or two slaughtered while you wait!

I don't know Bourgas but I'm sure there will be a bazaar there if you ask a friendly Bulgarian.

Peter
Peter

Thanks a lot. I must find this big market when I visit in August. I thought that the other one was good so the one I have missed must be magnificent!

ronl
Went between the two on the bus last week and if I remember correctly it cost me about 14 Lev return. It took slightly longer than a taxi would've done but it was about 1 3/4 hours each way.

You do have to sit in a mini bus that holds about 16-20 people and the last bus back to SB is at 3.30 P.M. After that, if you ask the driver of the Varna-Bourgas bus to stop in SB then they should have no problem doing so.

Hope this is of help, Dickie.
hope you had a good holiday Dickie!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.