France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
haven't been Lyn but we have visited war cemetaries elsewhere and I've been surprised just how emotional I got.
Many years ago I went to school for a while in northern France, my grandfather had fought there in the first world war, he asked me to visit the graves of the allied soldiers many of whom were friends of his. It was a very moving experience. Just a few weeks ago I spent time again in northern France and again saw rows and rows of war graves from the 2nd world war. I get quite tearful now even just thinking about them.
A few years ago I visited the allied war graves in Kanchanaburi near the river Kwai and found and photographed the grave of the father of a good friend, he was taken prisioner at the fall of Singapore and died in the prison camps whilst working on the death railway.
All the cemeteries are beautifully kept, very peaceful and worth a visit, though expect to be very moved.
Yes the cemeteries were so well kept and cared for . Im assuming the war graves commission looks after them . does anyone know??. the cemetery at Bayeux was completely open to the road . At the very least I expected to see a gate . but we just walked across the road into it. makes you wonder if that cemetery had been in Britain would it had looked as good. I bet not :( im sure it would get vandalised and be covered in graffeti and beer bottles :( .

the inscriptions were very simple and there was one that stuck in my mind which simply said . " our only son. to have you back the way you were is our one and only wish today". he was 20 years old. I went back to that headstone 3 times :( .

lyn
Yes, it is War Graves Commission that tends them.

One of the cemetaries we visited had markers for 15-08-1944, This really got to my husband, it was the very day of his birth.

Took my grandson when he was 18, he was silent for ages when he read the ages of the boys lying there.

A visit there is much better than any history lesson.

Patka
If there are war graves near where I am staying I always try to visit. It never fails to stop me in my tracks. My grandfather was wounded in WW1 and two of my Great, Great Grandfathers fought and one died in France in that war.

There are war cemetaries in the UK. On Cannock Chase there is a Commonwealth graveyard and also the German Graveyard is next door. Both are very sad but moving places.
Hi,
I've just got back from a week in Britteny and a week in Normandy, and managed to see most of the things mentioned here.

I have to agree that the war graves are so very very moving....
The day we visited the big American Omaha cemetery was the only day in the whole 2 weeks that it rained - very fitting we thought.

I personally thought that the cemetery at Bayeux was a 'nicer' one (if that's possible). Although I can 100% appreciate what the Omaha cemetery and visitor centre is trying to achieve, I found it all a little bit 'Disney' if you can understand that. On the hour, they play a very 'twinkly' version of 'God Bless America' on a tannoy system through the graveyard, and it just takes a bit away from the atmosphere somehow..... Maybe I'm just a bit cynical....

Still all a very moving and memorable experience.
Maryj

I agree, the British ones are rather more personal & homely than the American and I think they hit home more than the clinical American ones.

Patka
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.