General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
!
I don't have any personal experience experience of doing this, nor do I know anyone else who has! I would imagine that it might not be such a good idea, true you can get some bargains if you book late, but often you pay more for the flight the later you book it. I imagine you may have a long wait at the airport for a suitable flight with spare seats to be available, and you may have problems co-ordinating that flight with suitable accomodation when you get there. If I was you I would have the bags packed ready at home and keep an eye on teletext or on the internet for late deals, MyTravel have some good late deals on their site, especially if you can go later the same day or the following day.
also check out the airport web page they normally have flight bargains
I know someone who just turned up at the airport, got a flight to Ibiza, then sorted his accomadation out when he was there, ran out of money and had to sleep rough. soon came back.
:D A few years ago I would have said, yeah, just do that, as long as you had made sure you weren't trying to travel during half terms, school holidays etc. Remember though that most airports have a set price for a standby ticket anyway, and like people have said, there are now so many good last minute, i.e. next day offers to be had, it seems hardly worth it!!!!!
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

I guess by booking late ie for a holiday the next day or two on the internet has taken away some of the excitement and daring of just turning up and taking a holiday where ever there is space - thats progress !!!

Can't see there being too many other ideas so perhaps it maybe better to close this item.
I do agree with you that it takes away the excitment, and would have said that above, but had to be sensible!!!!!

I can now add that many years ago, I came to this island with two small children, and a tent on my back, and wasn't sure where I was going to stay (except the beach.....which was illegal!!) I am still here!! But, I would still do it all again, so, go for it if that is what you want!!!!!! :D
Madsue,

Thanks for your replies. Perhaps arranging a holiday, albeit a late booking, over the internet in our nice warm house is more attractive than sitting in a grey bland crowded airport arguing the toss over costs etc with a travel consultant.

On reflection and as they say 'if I was 20 /30 years younger' I would do it - but the benefits of seat upgrades, priority checkin, hotel aircon and the nicer things in life maybe bring us down to earth and reality clicks in.

......... but maybe one day !
Doesn't it just.........and we can always dream!!!!!! :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.