Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi Jax and congratulations on booking your first cruise! I hope it will be wonderful for you and look forward to your review on your return.

Regarding hiring a tuxedo onboard. I too have heard you can do this, but have never done it. I would be concerned that they didn't have the right size!

I believe you would hire it as a suit, ie jacket and trousers as the trousers have a satin stripe down the seam to match the jacket lapels. I would suggest calling Customer Services at RCI and asking them.

I don't know how much hire would cost, but I saw dinner jacket and trousers in Matalan recently and I think it was about £50 for both. I'm sure that at least one of our members got their tux from a charity shop so that may be an option.

luci :wave
If by tuxedo you mean a white dinner jacket, then you would wear black evening trousers (with a satin stripe down the side) and black shoes, a black dinner shirt looks good with a white or coloured dicky bow but you can wear a white dinner shirt with any coloured or black bow. If you mean a black dinner jacket then this would be part of a complete dinner suit. I'm not sure how many dinner suits/tuxedos are available to hire on board ship and what sizes they have. If you want to be sure, you would be better buying one that could be altered to fit if neccessary (charity shops usually have loads of them that have only been worn once and discarded- you might have to ask if they are not on show) also contact hire shops as they often sell them off at a discount.
Hope this helps
Thanks for your replies. I did wonder how many they would have to hire. I will have a look at Matalan and the other suggestions. We were thinking of the black dinner jacket. If we like the cruise we are thinking of doing a Carribean one next year. So it might be worth the cost of getting one. I`m sure we will love it but hubby is a little bit worried about sea-sickness. Do you have any suggestions for anti-sickness medicines we can take with us?
I take it you will know that for the formal evenings a dark lounge suit is also appropriate. Many men wear a lounge suit, rather than a tuxedo.

Agree with suggestions re purchase of tuxedo v hire. Personally own a tux, and wear it to formal nights, but would not have considered an on-board hire. Try Moss Brothers, if you have one locally as sometimes they reduce prices in sale to <£100.
We did our first cruise in November and I too wanted my husband to wear a Tuxedo although not everyone did, but it did look good for the formal photos

We had two formal nights and we hired the complete set about £45. It came complete with jacket, trousers, two shirts, bow tie, cumberband even cuff links and shoes. We hired it through the cruise line and the same company does all cruise lines. It was all waiting in the cabin for us when we boarded saving the hassle of carrying it.

Please pm me if you need any more details, I could probably dig up the email address of the company but your travel agent should be able to organise this for you.

Regards Joan
Re sea sickness, Stugeron is a tried and tested remedy and can be bought from your pharmacist or Boots. However it is not suitable for some people with eye problems so get advice if you have any other condition or take any other medication.

We have a dedicated topic HERE where you can continue the discussion and read other members' recommendations.

Thank you for the info. Will definately buy the tablets from Boots, better to be safe than sorry. Just a bit concerned that drinking alcohol with them may be a problem. We both love our wine!
jax

no need to buy sea sickness remedies before you go, on all Royal Caribbean ships they are available free of charge from the pursers desk. Although I'm sure you wont need them,
Just back from RCI Mariner of Seas Spring Break cruise around the Caribbean. There were only a few tuxedos which seemed to be mainly worn by the Brits. Of the people who wore them most got changed after they had, had a picture taken. The Americans read long trousers and smart shirt for formal although there were plenty of people in beach shorts and T shirts. It was a bit disappointing - the Thomson cruises I have been on were far more 'dressy'!! Only take a tux if you will feel comfy sitting in it in a bar next to someone in beach shorts and a T shirt. My husband didn't mind - I felt a bit over dressed. That said, the ship was lovely and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise. My advice would be to wear what you feel comfy in!
Funny you should say that about the Thomson ship being more dressy. That's what we found too. Most people on the Sea Princess made an effort, but an American guy at our table on the Marco Polo wore a polo neck jumper on the formal night!

Hubby doesn't have a tux, but he does wear a dark suit on formal nights whichever ship we are on.

I'd rather feel over dressed than under dressed any day.

People don't seem to dress up as much as they used to. We always do but on our last cruise (Caribbean Jan) only about 15% wore evening suits although all the women made an effort. My Husband forgot his dress shirt, the ship had a hire shop and you could get anything even the cuff-links. The dress shirt hire cost $15 for the week.

Saw one woman in a beautiful dress and her other half was in jeans with a shirt hanging out!
Congratulations Jax on booking your cruise, no doubt you will be on a countdown even from now!!

I definitely echo the advice for Sturgeon for sea-sickness tablets. Both my husband and son suffer with it, but these have been great for them, also our boy wears the travel bands.... we have even seen adults wear them.

Regarding tuxedo, you can obviously hire them before you go but I think it works out expensive, have you tried ebay? I have just bought a tuxedo for our 10 year old and paid £6 ..... bargain, he tells me he will wear it on formal night but will prob change his mind :yikes

Just a thought for you.

I would imagine after your first cruise, you will be hooked!!!
Ha Ha...twas I that spotted the white M&S Dinner jacket in our local charity shop for £9. I got it for £7 as it needed cleaning. I too have noticed a drop in standards :duh ( as per Hyacinth Bouquet) in the dress code on our cruises. Shame really.
Don't forget if you do get stuff from the charity shops don't bother cleaning before you go just stick in the ships laundry as soon as you board, cheaper than at home and free(IME) repairs if needed.
Windjammer.... i hope you don't pull off buttons necessarily so you get free repairs!!!!! ;)

I have to say, I love the laundry service on board, and the launderette on sea days are like a social gathering.
Last year whilst on Oceana, we were at sea and I had put a load of the kids stuff into the wash and there were 2 delightful elderly ladies putting the world to right.
When I came back to transfer it into the tumbler, one of them had already done it for me, so I thanked them and off I went. Came back a bit later and guess what..... they'd even ironed it for me.
Later that evening they were sitting together at dinner and I went over and thanked them but whilst doing so took note of the bottle of wine they were drinking. The next night I sent a bottle over to their table as a thank you.
It's funny how people pull together and are soooo friendly whilst on cruises.
Hubby is still thinking about the suit situation. I think he will be happier in a dark suit especially if he`s not the only one, which it seems from your posts, he won`t. I am the one who wanted him to wear the dinner jacket, just because I think he will look gorgeous in it! I liked the idea of hiring one because it will save so much room in the cases.
I`m sure we will be hooked, as long as he doesn`t get sea-sick. Our friends, who we usually go on holiday with, are waiting to see if we enjoy the cruise. If we like it they will join us for a Carribean cruise next year.
I have already bought a couple of lovely, long dresses in a sale. I am very excited! :hyper
A couple of ways to look at this,

If you get hooked there will be plenty of times to get dressed up, can look out for a cheap DJ/TUX and get great value from it.

If you don't like cruising then you save on hire/buy if you have no other reason to have a DJ/TUX, so he may look good for a couple of nights but that's another dress.

Longer term I got fed up taking it every time so know prefer to only take it if we are driving both ways or going upmarket cruise line, if I don't take the DJ then I don't take any evening jacket, never been a problem(for me).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.