Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Hi foofighter, I can't advise you, but this happened to us last year with Thomas Cook. 37 hour delay from Lanzarote, same as you we got to the airport and then they told us. We also went to an hotel. Funny thing was, when we checked in for the flight home, people with other TO's had been informed the previous day and allowed to stay in their hotel! Made a bit of a mockery of Thomas Cook's story that the plane was damaged :roll:
We didn't get anywhere with them, they said they had fulfilled their obligations by putting us up in the hotel. Good luck if you decide to pursue it.......Linda.
thanks linda i think i will seek some advice as one of the passenges was a bit clude up and siad becouse thomas cook gave away our flite and it was not something beyond there controle they had made themselves liable and even one off the reps reluctently agread
Foofighter - why not give Ros Fernihough, Travel Law Solicitor a call. She will be able to give you any advise you need.

Tel :- 01922 621114

Kath HT Admin
airlines can do what they like with their planes, whether it means swapping them around to minimise disruption within their fleet etc. No certain aircraft is designated or rightfully YOURS, when it lands at an airport. As long as they look after you in the interim and bring you home then that is their contract. You will be entitled to compensation through your travel insurance, that is why you will have received an insurance letter back in UK.
MikeBravo,
the reason they received an insurance letter back in the UK was T.C.'s pathetic attempt to get most of the passengers to claim from their insurance rather than from the real guilty party T.C.

This eventuality is covered by EC261/2004 regulations. Delays resulting from foreseeable events may result in compensation having to be paid by the airline responsible. Sure, they put you up in a hotel and fed and watered you - but there's a little more to it than that.

Kath's advice is correct - ring Ros. You may still claim on your insurance and in so doing I'm pretty certain that will have NO detrimental effect upon claiming from T.C.

MikeBravo, if you're ever delayed outbound by more than a day, remember your post here on Sat. Then seek advice on this forum or via Ros and she'll enlighten you as to the real world - you'll be pleasantly rewarded in hard cash terms. Delays homeward bound are not something I've personally experienced so cannot offer any specific advice at this time.

Mike
thats what this guy siad if the newcastle bunch had been put up over night they could not claim against TCs becouse it was something beyond there controle but TCs chose to make us delayed it was there choice not something out of controle so thanks i will get in contact with Ros Fernnihough and find out more becouse both me and my wife lost two days pay and no £40 from the ins will cover that
I second what mike cuncliffe said on the matter.

Also note the mikebravo is employed (or really likes them) with Thomas cook and doesn't like bad things said about them. Which we can all understand and relate too however I do think you are right to take this further. good luck
As we strive to keep information as independent as possible, we on occasions do check the location from where posts are made.

We can confirm that member MikeBravo appears to be posting regularly from a computer that is linked to the Thomas Cook UK network. He has also confirmed in a previous post that he indeed does work for Thomas Cook.

Whilst we don't have a problem with such postings, it would be beneficial if members make any connection with a travel agent / tour operator / airline etc. clear in their postings, particularly when such postings benefit the agent / tour operator / airline etc.

Many thanks

MarkJ HT Mod
Interesting nuance here.

If an airline has for reasons beyond its control to cancel one of two (or more) flights, does choosing which flight to cancel put the reasons for cancellation back within its control?

OP is arguing that it does but it's by no means cut and dried.
Deetee,
It's usually very difficult to obtain the truth from an operator as to the real reason for the delay/cancellation.

I think you have picked up on a very valid point.

I'm of the opinion that some carriers sometimes charter their planes at the last minute to another operator/carrier for revenue purposes leaving their own passengers stranded on the basis that overall they are likely to earn more profit (their own passengers have already paid of course).

This is a particular problem, in my opinion, with groups who include the Tour Operator and the Airline. A perfect example of this is the Avion Group comprising Travel City Direct and Excel (Air Atlanta was part - not absorbed into the group name I understand).
I bet mikebravo is in customer relations its that type of atitude the we can do what we want is why im so fed up with TCs ,you might be able to do what you want with your planes but when it means disrupting peoples lives ond then treating them like rubbish is the reason for me takeing thing further .The way we was treated in larnica and at the hotel was first class i never complained about that, the reps did every thing they could and i felt for them when some of the others was giveing them verbal and if the way we had been treated since landing back in the UK was half as good i might have even praised TCs for the way we had ben looked after
hi
trust me i'm not in customer relations, that is a different dept!

I do know the background to ths delay though. A/c was struck by a toilet serviceing truck, broke skin of a/c - grounded. A/c had come in from Newcastle (NCL). MAN a/c arrived and as MAN programme has more a/c and there was downtime in MAN flying programme that night the decision was taken to run the delay into MAN, meaning using the MAN a/c to go back to NCL with NCL passengers on. At NCL there is one a/c based and was due out straight away that night when the LCA flight returned.

I am glad to hear that you were looked after while away and on the flight. Customer relations will no doubt use the 28 day rule and contact you within that.

Incidentally the aircraft struck did not return to UK until 2 days later!!
MikeBravo, please don't be offended by what I'm about to post - it is ONLY a possible scenario that I suggest:

The rules for compensating passengers take account of faults that are unexpected and unforeseen. Therefore, there's an incentive for the airline to provide an excuse that fits this category. Being struck by a vehicle whilst on the apron is one such example.

However, such incidents are always logged and need to be reported (to the CAA in this country I believe). It would be helpful if the report identifying number was quoted in correspondence from the T.O. and/or airline to substantiate the claim.

It could be perceived to be very easy for an airline to make such claims in the belief that most passengers would not be in a position to authenticate the excuse.

This is no way suggests that T.C. or any other airline or T.Op. has made false excuses - I only suggest that such could be possible.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.