Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
A Quick Question
39 Posts
it was a bicycle with a basket attatched to the front of it
Could have been the Bread Man :)
x lassi
Yes i would say it was the bread man :wink:
What sort of bread is it, he was round twice a day , busy man
Various types of local rolls ,the early morning bread man also does milk and papers and the first one in the morning at candolim comes at around 6am and then 7am,8am and again 3 times in evening.
Just listen for the ponk,ponk of the little horn :lol: He serves the small local restaurants and the local houses.
And I bet he charges tourists different prices from the small restaurants and local residents :twisted:
They also sell samosas - which are hot and fresh and very tasty. Just a few rupees.

Candybabe
I always get charged 2 rupees for each bread roll, which is the same price as the locals I believe. The bread is wonderful especially with local honey amd butter. My wife likes to dip it in to her boiled eggs. We can never understand why so many places provide the awful sliced bread. Perhaps if more people asked for local bread, they might start to provide it.
Thats the very horn annoying little thing that wakes you up in the morning, must try his wares at christmas then.
Thats if the police haven`t demolished his bike for not having a licence by then :rofl
Well that's answered it for me too. Had thought it might be water or milk.
In March 2005 we stayed at the Don Hill in Candolim,
most days we would see a teenage boy on a bike with an urn fastened to the carrier on the back.

He would be ringing his bell furiously shouting Chai Chai Chai to all and sundry.

Has anybody else seen him as we have not seen on later trips.

GM06
Ian
And I bet he charges tourists different prices
your so right there Gems he used to charge me 5 rupees for a 2 rupee roll but I loved them I used to get the man who makes toast in the hotel to toast them for me ..yum yum ...colleen
Their are loads of Chai boys, you'll see one at the bottom of Holiday Rd just next to Kingstork, he also does Samosas. As far as the bread boys goes, when you ask for rolls just give him the 2 rps, and he'll not quibble with you. I've often wondered just how many there are? there must be dozens of them, as if you are up and about early, they seem to be everywhere. Another thing I've never found out, is where the bakery is that supplies them all, does anyone know ? Alan
There used to be a bakery close to Prazeres Hotel - just before the hotel, walking towards Panjim. Not sure if it is still there.

Candybabe
Where we stayed 18mths ago we used to have the man/boy come round on a morning selling fish from his bike..
I`ve seen the lad with the urn on the rear of his bike selling drinks to the workers my wife said it was coffee but im not so sure, what is chai ?
Chai is a spiced milky tea, often called masala chai - best served on a train ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.