Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
I dont think you will go far wrong with Calan Bosch. We have visited several times with and without our daughter and on each occasion, have had a brilliant time. We are off to Menorca again ourselves in June, but staying in another resort at the opposite side of the island.

We have never hired a car during our visits, through choice, but I do know that there are lots of lovely places to see.

Calan Bosch itself (if memory serves) has 3 or 4 smallish supermarkets. The biggest one in the main bit of the harbour was well stocked and open for most of the day. We were always able to buy fresh milk and bread each day and an assortment of ham, cheese etc for lunch times. Around the harbour are plenty of restaurants and they all cater for and adore children. My personal favourite is a restaurant called Picolas. The food was reasonably priced and the staff very attentive. Im not sure of up to date prices/costs and someone else may be able to help you there. The Shamrock Bar is the best bar (IMO) and kids are always welcome.

There is a water park in Calan Bosch plus you also have the "goody goody" park which has a small shallow pool area for the kids, go karts, amusements, trampolines, bouncy castles, climbing frames, and a snack bar. We spent quite a few hours here with our daughter.

There are two beaches, one in Calan Bosch (again, my personal favourite) and a larger one about 20 mins walk away at Son Xoriguer. Both are clean and worth visiting. You can take a walk up to the lighthouse (about 20 mins walk each way) which was perfect for little ones' nap time ;)

We managed a 2 week stay with a 3 year old rarely leaving the resort. There is a really good bus service into Cuitadella (which again is well worth a visit, lots of shops and restaurants and even a Burger King if thats your thing) and from there, bus services that go all over the island.

Have a great time :sun2

Sarah :)
Thanks for the reply Sarah, much appreciated.

We used to mainly go on all inclusive holiday to places like the carribean before we had a baby, so local costs didn't matter too much at that stage as it was all included.

I'm not planning to hire a car, its just more expense and hastle, so I'd rather stay local at the resort, our plan is too go on short walks in the area and stay at the local beaches, our hotel sounds quite closer to the beach, so hopefully that will do us.

Thanks for the tips on the restaurants and things to do, we will be trying them ! the local harbour with the restaurants is the main reason we chose Calan Bosch as it has lots of choice and easy access with the young one.

If anyone has been recently been and can advise on the current prices, that would be great.

Paul.
Paul,

Sarah got most of the points, so I'll add hopefully something different but useful. ( ive known the island for over 25 years- so before Cala en Bosch was even built! )

Cala en Bosch is the largest planned resort on the island so you have the most facilities and the most beds -ie people in peak times. May will start quietly so you will have lots to yourselves. Its all centred around the Marina. Like EVERYWHERE on the planet resort supermarkets, will be a lot more expensive then out of resort ( The Lidl store by the way will only be reachable via car ). You dont have a choice at CB its them or nothing given its location.

Slip into local time with the little one -get the bus to Ciutadella for the evening knowing the little ones will be a sleep later but you deserve a holiday too!- Ciutadella is lovely, with a pedestrianised old town

The truth is Menorca is very beautiful with much land protected by nature laws ( 40%) so where do you locate the island's most 'damaging' tourist resort on the island ?where its least attractive ( for Menorca Standards ) of course! So head east for the beauty, walks not so attractive around the resort.

The area is flatter than flat which is why the bicycle hire is common and good. The beach will be good in May but given the economic climate dont expect all restaurants to be open- not enough people around/will not open ( the islands love to shoot themselves in the foot sometimes )

Take your pick of restaurants, but El pato is always consistently praised.

Have a great one
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.