America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Q1)be warm enough during day...shorts/top......may go a little cooler on a night.....

Q2)with the exchange rate how it is at the moment...it may be cheaper to book them over here before you go.....regarding the shows if its a top show you want to see...have to book tickets,if you not to bothered there txt booth with discounted tickets to some shows.

Q3)airport is right near the strip..jump in a taxi..should only take 10 mins to your hotel..

Q4)i think you will find it ok....most of the hotels decent standard because all the hotels are so big....if you got a problem with room,just ask to change it...shouldnt be a problem...hotel is towards bottom of strip...but isnt to bad at all..

theres a big topic on vegas in here somewhere..plenty info in there to help.
Think we're all probably struggling to add to that, great response!

It won't be long, I'm sure you'll have a great time! You will find little magazines in Vegas, and there will be lots of info about the shows that are on - and you should be able to get tickets for something you like the sound of at the 1/2 price ticket booth. Tickets are not always 1/2 price though, some are just discounted by about 30% etc, but still a good saving.
I stayed at the excalibur 10 months ago, it was fine no problems at all, i would certainly stay there again. Best transport from the airport are the shuttles.
We stayed at Excalibur last May and paid $12 + tip ($15) for a taxi. Two taxis would be cheaper for six of you so long as you say "NO TUNNEL"

The route should be Swenson -Tropicana - LVB and straight into Excalibur. If they take you another way report the driver to the Taxi authority.
I paid $7.50 by shuttle when pre-booking, pick up right outside hotel and very reliable.
hiya, have a look at http://www.weatherunderground.com you can type in a city and it gives you daily historical data and goes back a few years too. you will get a general idea.

have a brilliant time
I paid $7.50 by shuttle when pre-booking, pick up right outside hotel and very reliable.

$7.50 X 6 = $45

More than two taxis.
The shuttle is only worth taking if it is someone travelling on their own. For two or more then a taxi is cheaper and quicker as it doesn't stop at every hotel. The shuttles are also notorious for not turning up for the return journey.

luci :wave
If you take a taxi from McCarran to your hotle make sure you specify to the driver "NOT VIA THE TUNNEL" . If you don't he will go via the tunnel and that will add $10 to your fare
I see the reply above about booking a show when you get there.

We've never been before and will probably see what's available when we get there with regard to seeing a show. We will be in Vegas for 3 nights as part of a West Coast tour so would it be better to book a helicopter trip over the Canyon before we go or wait until we get there, I'd hate to go all that way and then not be able to do the trip because there was no availability and because of the short time we're there we are going to be restricted to a particular day when we can do the trip.

Can anyone reccomend a helicopter tour Company to book with as there appear to be loads and would prefer to book with a Company that has been recommended.

Thank you
There is some info and suggestions on Grand Canyon companies in THIS TOPIC

If it is important to you I would suggest that you book it for early in your trip. Flights sometimes get cancelled due to weather so it will give you another couple of days to rearrange it. I have read of people booking it for their last day and then having it cancelled.

Do you have any idea which show you would like to see? It is worth booking some of the top shows or headliners in advance. Other shows can be booked once you get there at Tix4Tonight or VegasTix4Less. Google them and you will see the location of the booths.

When are you going?

Thank you Lucy,

We're going at the end of March, haven't booked yet but booking is imminent. Really excited.

We will not deicde whether or not we do a show until we get there, so much to see, and only a little time so the only thing we're absolutely sure we must do is see The Grand Canyon in a helicopter.
If you use the Search facility and search for "Vegas" as the topic title, there are several topics which may be of use.

Thank you for that.

I've just done the Esta form on line - No problem came back immediately as authorized. Is there anything else I need to do?

Sorry if I appear naive but USA is a whole new ball game for us.
You should be good to go if you have your ESTAs. You need one per person.

Sign up to http://www.crowncurrencyexchange.com to monitor the dollar rate. It is currently $1.54 which is an improvement of the $1.42 it was earlier this year.

No-one can tell you the best time to buy, but you can order in advance from that site for forward purchase and delivery in a few months time. If you sign up they will email you offers of cancelled contracts which are higher still. I ordered in January or February for delivery in April. The current rate at the time was $1.52 and I got $1.74. It was still $1.52 by the time we travelled so we were quids in. However you are gambling against the rate being even higher by the time you go.

You can also check rates on the High Street at http://www.comparetravelmoney.co.uk or http://www.travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com

You can also check rates on the High Street at comparetravelmoney or ravelmoney.moneysavingexpert

luci

comapretravelmoney has become compareholidaymoney now
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.