Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
first of all- are you saying that your TO has not informed you yet? If so, you need to contact them to ask them to verify the situation. You need to see what they are going to offer you before you can complain. Secondly, when is the holiday booked for?
The reason why your Dutch friends have been informed and you haven't is probably down to better, or at least better enforced, legislation in the Netherlands.

I stand to be corrected but I don't think you can go on the holiday knowing about the problem and then ask for compensation. The situation (and contract) is either acceptable or unacceptable and if it's the latter you need to try to get out of it. If they offer new contract terms which are acceptable (eg 10% off or a different holiday) then that's up to you but don't start arguing from a position of "we're going but...."

Are you booked with TUI and as Fiona asked, when are you going?

There is almost certainly something in the T&Cs which don't guarantee that all the facilities will be available all of the time but the fact that nothing will be available for most of the time must count against them. The other question to ask would be when did the TO know about the work?

Even if they will allow you to cancel, the TO is unlikely to offer anything for the parking charges etc. and nor is your insurance likely to cover you (most policies exclude failure of the TO to perform). But since you have to use those dates it would probably be better to just alter the holiday and use the parking.
I am booked with Thomas Cook. We are due to fly in 13 days, (24th May). I contacted T. Cook customer service on Saturday and asked why I have not been informed of pool closure and construction work. The advisor said she will email the operations team to find out but has checked on their system and says there is nothing to suggest work is going on. (According to the hotel, the pool has been closed several weeks so I find it strange a rep would not report this). The advisor is supposed to be calling me tomorrow.
I was under the impression that if we agreed to continue with this holiday but put it in writing to T. Cook before taking the holiday that we were accepting it but only under duress, we could be entitled to compensation.
As a precursor, (in case we get the option of an alternative), I have been on T.Cook website to look for alternatives but there are no other all-inclusive or even half-board packages in Gran Canaria available for the dates we have booked off from work.
We booked this back in October 2007 and really can't have annual leave at any other time.
Hi i found this about the IFA Continental Hotel

It is on the holidayhotels.com web site

please note
Please note that the swimming pool will remain closed till 26/05/08 due to technical problems. At guest's disposal there is a free shuttle bus to IFA Buenaventura Hotel, where guests can make use of all the hotel services. In addition, there is a free shutlle bus to the beach of Playa del Ingles, where sunbeds and sun umbrellas will be provided for free.
It may be the pool will be open when you are there.
The report is what the hotel is telling people but TUI are advising Dutch people that a realistic date is mid-June.
Sorry, forgot to add that in my original psot I did state that the bus is free and runs hourly. Greeeeeeeat....just what we need on holiday, a schedule and public transport twice a day!
You could hire a car then you are not tied to any transport times
Why should they hire a car?, and incur extra expense? Get straight on to the TA, and see what they are going to do about the situation,also would you be willing to be transferred to their sister hotel?

Goof Luck

Belly
If they haven't heard anything from their TO then maybe there isn't anything to worry about.
As for hiring a car boo it was only a suggestion.
The 26th May date is also shown on the hotel's own website http://www.ifahotels.com/en/ifa-continental-hotel.html?adnetwork=af

Maybe you could print it off and fax it to Thomas Cook operations! If you booked at a shop take a copy in and make a nuisance of yourself. You've more chance of getting sorted before you go than accepting it and hoping for compensation afterwards.
Just to let you know incase you are unsure the Buenaventura and Conti are literally only 4 or 5 minutes away from each other on a bus or a walk you could do in less than 10 minutes.
If TC haven't informed of the change then your not too late in requesting a change of accommodation - doesn't matter that you found out for yourself it's their obligation to inform you of this change.

I agree that you should fax the info from the hotel's website to TC or take a copy of it into your local TC travel agents and let them discuss it with head office.

As you have mentioned, a recorded delivery letter to TC head office stating that you have been made aware by external means of the pool issue (not by themselves) and that due to you not being informed you are going on this holiday under duress and should any of this work mar your holiday then you will be pursing a claim for compensation on your return.

Whilst there if this work is, still indeed going on, then take photographs of the work and names and addresses of other holidaymakers who are upset by the closure/work. Also, report it to the rep in resort and fill in a claim form. This may be important, as even though you have warned TC before departure, I'd still be inclined to cover my options by reporting it to rep on the first day of your holiday as TC could say that you didn't give them the opportunity in resort to put things right.

Also you could give Ros Fernihough a call pre departure on:-

The direct number to Ros's PA Pam is 01922 705134

If this line is busy switchboard number 01922 633214

Ros is a travel law solicitor who often assists our members, her advice to you will be free and will inform you of your rights in Travel Law.
Re: the Buenaventura and Conti are literally only 4 or 5 minutes away from each other on a bus or a walk you could do in less than 10 minutes and hiring a car.
I am aware of where the hotels are situated in relation to each other but it is still an inconvenience not being able to access our hotel room and having to cart all our personal belongings plus air mattresses etc back & forth and we are not prepared to fork out for a car when none of this is our fault.
As I said, there is no other all-inclusive or even half board available for us to change accommodation. the sister hotels are all full....I've already checked.
Glynis has given further advice which you have not referred to- are you considering any of it?
I think the usual procedure is to offer alternatives (as with this case shuttle buses) or a full refund when services are not going to be available.

The problem you face is that you haven't been informed of anything, and the website states all work will be finished by 26/05. Unless you hear otherwise your only option is to have faith in the TO, go on the holiday and then if it turns out that these vital facilities are not, in fact, available and you have never been informed, pursue a complaint starting at the hotel, insisting that all paperwork is completed, take photos etc. then claim on your return. I really don't think you can do anything before you go - it's a chance you have to take.
And don't forget to make sure that everyone else on the same tour knows that TC withheld info from them so that they can also do all the above!

Not much of a consolation but if it does reopen on the 26th and some companies have already pulled their customers out it will be peaceful.
I am trying to follow Glynis's advice but cannot get the address of Thomas Cook HQ to send the letter.

Re: Steve8482....'it will be peaceful'

I hope not...that's the reason I am so miffed. We take part in the pool/poolside activities such as swimming competitions, water polo/volley. Peaceful is the last thing I want....I want the pool action we usually get!
Oh dear! that sounds like a no win situation.

The address of their UK registered office is

Thomas Cook Retail Ltd
The Thomas Cook Business Park
Coningsby Road
Peterborough
PE3 8SB

you're unlikely to get a reply within 28 days, especially if you don't have a name to send it to.

Given that they are actually a German company it will interesting to know whether their German customers were given any warning.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.