Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
what about something like small resort of Turunc http://www.turunc-apartment.co.uk or maybe http://www.turkey-apartment.co.uk
in Beldibi (Marmaris) Akyaka
this is elliemegs apartment a member
I've just taken a very quick look but will certainly investigate further. Turunc sounds very nice but I'm a bit concerned about it being at the end of a mountain road! Three times round a roundabout and I need sickness pills! It's good to have a starting point, thank you.
Yes, Turunc is a nice resort but the road to it is horrible, my daughter was sick after the car journey and although I loved it there the journey put me off going there again.

You could try some of the resorts on the Bodrum Peninsula, there are no winding roads or mountains there; Gumbet would be too lively and touristy for you but Bitez may be more suitable of if you fancy something a bit more traditional take a look at Oratkent, Yalikavak or Gumusluk, there are quite a lot of villas around those areas. The nice thing about the Bodrum Peninsula is that there are lots of little resorts and villages all failrly close together so you can travel around and see lots of places all within 30 miutes of each other. The main town of Bodrum is also easly accessible for shopping and if you fancy an eening out and all the resorts are an hour or less from the airport.

A good time to travel would be June or September, the weather will be hot then but not too unbearable. July and August are very busy, very hot and more expensive to travel.

I hope this helps and if you want to know anything else please just ask.

Kedi
Thanks Kedi, these areas sound lovely and I do have more questions... do you know of any rental properties, small villas, cottages etc? We would prefer privacy rather than an apartment, if possible. I've had a quick Google but there is just so much to look at! Are there any areas to avoid?

Can you tell me too, which is the nearest airport?

Thank you very much for your help.
Maybe Fethiye would be what you're looking for? We've not been as we usually go to Icmeler, though it's on our to-do list when the kids don't come with us any more!

Turunc would be ideal for you - apart from the road to get to it!

SOmeone else was asking a similar question recently so I'll have a nosey for her post so I can put a link on here if you like?
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=140713

Here you go Kayley, Tweetie Pie asked similar questions to you and the responses IMHO are fantastic, there are also lots of links for you to browse through

Hope this helps ;)

Let us know what you decide :tup
well done fanny i was just giving some insite to some members who have property there alf and elliemeg and did think they might come online with some valued information but you got it great job :sun2 also there is another thread that may be of intrest to 1st timers
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=132936
I think I'm going to need a weeks holiday just to go through all this info! :cheers
:rofl you're not wrong there kayley, and after you've been I'm sure you'll see why we're all so enthusiastic :cheers :tup

summers are in the high 40s with no rain whatsoever but if that's too hot, the season starts in April with days getting warmer though evenings can be chilly at first, with the odd heavy rain shower.
Early Sept is a nice time to go and the resorts are less busy, but I don't like the amount of wasps that can be about towards the end of Sept - also, the days can be hit and miss as you head towards October with rain showers too

do keep us posted - am getting all excited for you lol. and also, feel free to come back with questions just like you'll see Tweetie Pie has done

Maverick - well done to you too, I think we've given Kayley plenty to think about between the links we've both posted :tup
thats what its all about helping each other, im sure what ever kayley chooses as you said im sure it will be enjoyable :sun2 and want more
Very true Maverick and I must say that the info on those 2 x links is fantastic. I've bookmarked them for future reference!

am watching these threads with keen interest to see which are the best "authentic" and "quaint" resorts for when we are ready to take that type of hol!
you have to go with the heart and what you enjoy we did for about 15years before stretching our legs further afield can't seem to get rid of the kids thou and the grand kids are now hanging on as well, still you only live once :sun2 :rofl
Akyaka is a lovely place,elliemeg will be able to tell you more if she comes online.We visited this place this summer while we was staying in Icmeler,impressed me,and the beach at Gokova is lovely,I was also surprised how much cheaper it was to eat out there than the bigger tourist resorts,have a look at it :wave:
Kayley,

The nearest airport is Bodrum. If you have a look at Holiday Lettings, Holiday Lets and Owners Abroad you will find some private apartments and villas. Also google villas or apartments in the Bodrum peninsula and you will get some other companies that do accomodation too.

Kedi
What a shame if you let the mountain road put you off Turunc, as it sounds just the resort you're looking for. In fact it's probably safer than the main roads, as everyone seems to drive slowly and carefully, and the scenery is spectacular, then when you reach Turunc itself the resort is virtually flat. Must admit I was nervous when we first booked, but we've since been back several times, so it can't be that bad.
Turunc is absolutely beautiful, the loveliest resort I've been to in Turkey - even nicer than Olu Deniz. Manos have accommodation there. I wouldn't be at all put off by the mountain road as the bus drivers actually drive slowly & carefully, much more so than they do when speeding along the roads to the other resorts! The Turkish don't have any sense of lanes - sometimes they create seven on one main road, all manically trying to overtake each other!!

Also been to Icmeler - spoilt by over-development now although lovely in 1996; Alanya (big town but great beaches); Calis (the beach resort near Fethiye). You might consider the later option although it doesn't really have a village feel in the same way Turunc does; it's more of a beach with a promenade. Olu Deniz would probably be fine off season but it's another long transfer and the roads are twisty (that's the place the bus went onto the beach, killing a tourist).
Turunc does sound lovely. I'm not worried about safety on the road it's just that driving round bendy roads makes me feel sick and really puts me off going anywhere. We usually like to hire a car for getting around.

Once there, should we wish to travel to other villages and nearby areas, do we have to brave the road again? Or is it just a case of getting to and from the airport?

I can find lots of apartments when I Google the area but I'm not finding much so far, in the way of private accommodation that is small enough to be affordable.

A different area that has been suggested to me is Dikili. Has anyone been there? I'm wondering how the two places compare?

What is the weather like in May? Is it unreliable? Ideally I'd like to travel at the end of May or the beginning of June. Does the weather compare to Spain at all? Here in Spain where I live, May is usually nice, but June is guaranteed so I'm wondering if it would be the same situation.

Thanks for all the help.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.