General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi

we too have stayed in Rius for the past few years. This year we are going to Grand Palladium resort in Riviera Maya Mexico which has 4 hotels in the complex and offers use of all of them. Obviously we havent been yet so cant comment 100% but the reviews etc look fab.
There are a ridiculous number of restaurants and bars to choose from including al a carte mexican, steakhouse, ribs n more, japanese, brazilian, mediteranean etc etc so loads of choice. also as far as i'm aware you dont have to stay in your own buffet for your evening meal like you do in the Rius.
check out http://www.palladiumaddict.net for more info
Thanks for the info Clare. I'll check out that link later :cheers
There is the Gran Bahia Principe collection of Coba, Tulum and Akumel in the Mayan Riviera, next door to Xel Ha, Large complex of 3 hotels and an entertainment complex, linked 24 hours/day by bus trains.

If you stay at the Coba, all the rooms were "Junior suites" - a double bed at one end and a sofa and table and chairs at the other, so watch out for "upgrades". The Coba facilities are quieter and the others are easily accessed by the free transport. Basically everyone from the Coba goes through the beach hotels to get to the beach and so use their facilities. Some from each beach hotel cross to the other part of the beach but hardly anyone from the beach hotels goes to the Coba!

In Cuba, the pool at the Playa Pesquero is massive and there is a fairly nice beach with bar attached. There is a Chinese restaurant, French Restaurant, Italian Restaurant, Fish Restaurant, Steakhouse restaurant, and a Vegetarian restaurant, or at least there were when we went (They are not open every night and there is supposedly limited entitlement).
Not forgetting the main buffet restaurant where we ate breakfasts and most evening meals and a 24 hour snack bar where they cooked to order 24 hrs. The ice cream parlour doesn't count as a restaurant! Bar wise: there was one (24hr) in the lounge, one in the air conditioned disco, a pool bar in one of the pools and a bar at the far end of the other pool. There was a beer garden opposite the ice cream parlour and a beach bar. The lounge bar was U shaped with one leg in the show bar so could be counted double!
Where the PP went up a step was the coffee bar right next door in the lounge so the non alcoholics of the party could have a cappuchino, expresso, mocha, Spanish, Brazilian, Irish etc even cups of teas whilst the Alkies went to town.

Wherever you choose, because of the lack of real competition this year it may then be worth checking out the caribbean warehouse prices. We used them as a TA last year: our flights were mytravel and the resort accomodation was through Jumbo Tours. Everything was in fact the same as the holidays offered by FC, Thomas Cook etc except for the prices. They may even offer a better selection on the type of accomodation you are looking for and suggest somewhere better. I was initially put off by having to phone rather than use the impersonal web, but ended up very impressed and they stuck by the prices they gave me whilst I sorted things out, such as checking reviews, arranging holiday entitlements etc.
hi claireuk, can i ask who u booked palladium with? it looks fantastic. went to riviera maya in oct 06 to occidental grand xcaret and loved it. thanks
i booked with Thomson - as for as i'm aware they are the only people that do it in the Uk. Portland dont even do it at their own price they just give you the thomson price. we booked in Jan and paid just over £1000 each for 2 weeks.
Palace Resorts in Mexico... 8 to choose from

Xpu-Ha Palace
Aventura Spa Palace - Adults only
Playacar Palace
Cozumel Palace- Ferry Ride
Moon Palace
Sun Palace - Adults only
Cancun Palace
Isla Mujeres Palace - Ferry Ride

5 star hotels with Branded alcohol and top class facilities, and if you like the look of a sister hotel, most of the time they will let you transfer your booking. :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.