Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi Jem,

We flew internal flights Toronto Winnipeg return with them last summer and I couldn't really fault them..... The only complaint I had was the fact we were charged for any meals ordered on the flight. If we'd been on a no frills airline, I would have expected that, but not with A/C. Although I know this isn't applicable to long haul though... Apart from that, Great flight, friendly cabin crew and clean and tidy aircraft.

HTH

Sandi
x
Hi, we have booked a holiday travelling the Canadian Rockies in May. The air line will be Air Canada. Can anybody tell me anything about them either good or bad. Thanks
Air Canada use a fleet of Airbus A330-300's, A340-300s, Boeing 767-300ER's and they may have a Boeing 747 still in their fleet for long haul routes. My Dad flew with Air Canada Manchester-Toronto-Manchester when he was working over their a few years ago and said they were excellent. He was in business class though and made the most of the complimentory Champaigne!

This is the plane he was on (767-300ER) taxiing out to the runway, probably finishing off a glass before takeoff!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/Air-Canada.jpg

Darren
ive flown with Air Canada to Toronto a few years back and found them to be very good, have rebooked and am flying with them to Calgary in May and back from Vancouver, so hopefully still as good. Staff are friendly, legroom is excellent, food service good, all in all very good.
Air Canada are resuming there flights from Glasgow and Manchester to Toronto from June 17th, through end of october, with a 767.
Dont know why they have not put these flights back to year round yet, as they were pre 9/11. I travelled on AC to YYZ in Dec 99, and the flight was YYZ-GLA-MAN-YYZ, the flight i believe had good load factors, certainly did when i was on it.
I should think Air Canada are just not all that keen on competition to Toronto which is now readiliy available from Glasgow. And why have to route via MAN? Better off going direct!

Nivsy
I'm looking to fly to Vancouver (ex LON) in November and thought I would try Air Canada.

Can anyone share experiences on AC's B767 flights in economy?

- seat pitch/comfort
- food and beverage service
- general attitude of flight attendants

Zoom also fly the route, but not on the dates that would ideally suit me. So just weighing up the pro's and con's of a cheaper flight but not on the day I want vs. flexibility (and service?) but a higher fare.
You might like to look at http://www.airlinequality.com there are lots of comments on Air Canada.
As mentioned in my post above we went to the Rockies in May of this year flying Air Canada. Check in was very easy no queues. The legroom on the flight is very good even in economy and OH is over 6'2". We had plenty of drinks and could just go back and ask for them all free. Two meals which were fine including ice cream. All in all a positive experience.
we have had experiences of air canada, all of them very positive, was on a Cooks Tour, flew heathrow to montreal, toronto to calgary, and vancouver to heathrow.

seat pitch in economy is very good, one of the best in the industry i believe! we were very comfortable. crew were extremely helpful, and even moved one of our party into business class because the economy seat was wet as someone on the previous flight spilt a drink on the seat.

overally, extremely good flights, all on time. only downside was the lack of seat back tvs
Thanks for the comments.

I'm going to book with AC tomorrow :)
Air Canada have axed there summer only Glasgow - Toronto service, and it looks like Manchester may face the same fate, Air Canada say hhis is down to aircraft shortages, but i think it may also be down to competition from the likes of Thomas Cook, Zoom and Air Transat.
My mother and I are flying from LHR to YYT (St John's, Newfoundland) next week with Air Canada. As my mother is elderly (80yrs old) and this is a "once in a lifetime" trip for her, what do you think the chances are of an upgrade to business/first class? I know that in the past it was possible to get upgrades but someone told me it never happens now.
Thanks
Liz W
You could always ask at check in - I believe that the supplement at time of departure can be much less than that quoted in advance.

Have you contacted AC's Customer Relations or Press offices?
You can tell I've been off work today as I've been looking at various random stuff on the internet.

I have been looking on avherald.com, a website that lists a daily report of technical problems on aircraft worldwide.

I can't help noticing that Air Canada seem to constantly have diversions and emergency landings due to technical problems. Is the information reported voluntarily to this site by the airlines?? I know Air Canada have a large fleet but you don't see hardly any incidents by BA or many British airlines for that matter.

Is this because they don't get reported or are Air Canada having a rough patch?

It doesn't seem to happen to a particular fleet type either, all the Air Canada fleet seem to suffer problems.

I know aircraft safety is a complex thing and you can't use avherald to judge a company but Air Canada just seems to stand out.

Any experts out there know why this might be?

I'm not planning on going to Canada, I'm just curious :think

Thanks
Mark
Mark757,

I've not seen any stats to suggest Air Canada have any greater number of technical issues than any other airline. I think it's just they are reported more than others. You get something known as the 'issue attention cycles'; as soon as one incident happens, all eyes are on them and other incidents that would normally get reported, don't. Look at Qantas over recent months, they've had their fair share or problems and so have British Airways, American and Continental. If there was a greater frequency of problems with Air Canada, i'm sure the local aviation safety board would be asking questions.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.