France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
There are two railway stations in the CDG airport itself.

The train is by far the best option to get to and from Paris.

This website http://www.transilien.com covers the whole public transport setup for the Paris region and will tell you all you need to know aboutr routes, times and ticket options. English available if needed.

There is however no direct local rail route between the airport and Disneyland

http://www.transilien.com/web/webdav/site/transilien/shared/documents/plans/pdf/planreseauIDF.pdf

is the rail network map.
There are TGV high-speed trains which take 10 minutes direct from terminal 2 at CDG, to Disneyland Resort Paris (the station is called Marne-la-Vallee).

If you look on the rail europe site, you can get timetables, prices etc for that journey.

You could also book a private transfer, there are many who work to and from CDG to anywhere in Paris. I've used rs transport before, they were fine, picked up at my exit at CDG, straight to my destination at my Disney hotel. You can also book them to take you from your Disney hotel to your next destination in Paris itself.

Hope this helps,

Elaine
Thank you for your replies, much appreciated. Is is possible to get a ticket which will cover all of these journeys rather than getting separate ones each time we need to get the metro or the TGV? Also, roughly how long would it take by TGV from Paris to CDG airport? Thank you!!
I can't answer those questions, sorry.

I would guess the rail europe site would be the one to look at, to see if there are TGV trains between Paris and CDG. That site may also have information about different types of tickets available across the networks (as RER metro and TGV are not the same).

Elaine
There are no TGV trains between the airport and Paris centre. The rail link is the RER (in English, Regional Express Network) which has trains at least every 15 minutes, taking about 40 minutes to reach the city centre. RER trains are included in the Paris local rail tariff system.

Using the TGV long distance trains for the 10 minute journey from CDG to Disney might be a false economy as one-way fares are in the region of 17 to 25 Euros. TGV are long-distance trains and the fact they stop at both stations is specifically to take passengers to and from the airport or to and from Disney and not between the two. Reservation is compulsory.

The transilien website mentioned earlier has comprehensive information on ticket types available across the Paris city and suburban networks in English at http://www.transilien.com/web/site/accueil/guide-du-voyageur/billets-tarifs/lang/e
:offtop but just to say that RailEurope has had some problems, not least with pricing, that has been picked up by other travel forums that I visit. Although it can be a pain in the neck, have you looked at http://www.sncf.fr?
Sorry, but I disagree that reservations are compulsory on the TGV between CDG and Marne-la-Vallee. You can buy a ticket at CDG just before you get on the train. I do agree that you may pay a higher price for this, rather than booking in advance.

Each time we've used the TGV for this journey, we've booked at least 10 days in advance, and usually pay £21 each way, for one adult and one child. This is outwith peak TGV times though, as you do pay more, even booking in advance, for travel in peak times.

For that specific journey between CDG and Disneyland Paris, compared to other direct modes of transport (ie VEA coach, private transfer, taxi etc), the TGV is a comparable price, and can be cheaper than the others.

Elaine
ALL TGVs in France require compulsory seat reservation. This is shown on your ticket, and if you do manage to get on without one, you will risk a considerable fine from the conductor on the train AND/OR the station where you get off a TGV.

Of course there may be some 'mickey mouse' concessions on this route ............... ;)
Maybe I was misunderstood in my earlier post - you can buy a ticket before you get on the TGV, at the station. I didn't say you could buy a ticket on the train.

Elaine
And just to clarify, because I'm not always clear, ANY ticket for a journey on a TGV requires the allocation of a seat and payment of a compulsory fee for that seat reservation. You can't travel without an allocated seat, so if you were to get on, and stand, you would still be fined as you wouldn't hold a valid ticket for the journey because you MUST have a seat reserved at the time of travel!!
You could probably get away without paying on the TGV. In my experience, tickets are rarely checked and the staff would almost certainly not have time to do so in the 10 minutes between the stations. Next time you travel on a TGV, watch out when the train pulls into a station. You will see several people stand up and move into the vestibules at the coach ends. Once the train gets under way again, they will move back into the coach and sit down in any empty seat. They don't have tickets. Only once have I seen someone thrown off a train but for all I know they had got to where they wanted to go!

My point about complusory reservation is echoed by a later post. The system will not sell you a ticket at the last minute if all seats on a TGV are taken - standing passengers are not allowed on TGV. I was caught out by this last year when wishing to make a relatively short journey elsewhere. I had to wait 3 hours for the next train!

Same applies to Corail TEOZ trains on the secondary routes but not to Corail Intercites trains, for which reservations are only 'recommended'.

I am travelling in France by train as write.
You could probably get away without paying on the TGV. In my experience, tickets are rarely checked and the staff would almost certainly not have time to do so in the 10 minutes between the stations. Next time you travel on a TGV, watch out when the train pulls into a station. You will see several people stand up and move into the vestibules at the coach ends. Once the train gets under way again, they will move back into the coach and sit down in any empty seat. They don't have tickets.

Sorry cubsur but I do not agree with you in this. Not only is it illegal but don't forget that you are a guest here - as I am, even though I live here.

I do not consider this forum the place to make suggestions of this nature.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.